Sigma Sd Quattro H, Sigma 35mm f1.4 "Art" lens
Yokohama, Japan - March 18, 2018

SDIM2380.jpg

SDIM2390.jpg

SDIM2406.jpg

SDIM2421.jpg

SDIM2411.jpg

SDIM2399.jpg

Thanks for posting these, Mike. Are these images made from OOC jpegs, or RAW files processed through Sigma software? Or DNG? Thanks.

There is still something that sets the foeveon sensor aside from all the other digital cameras and noticeable in those examples. Enormous detail but without that sharpness that can make digital images look a bit harsh.

Thanks for posting these, Mike. Are these images made from OOC jpegs, or RAW files processed through Sigma software? Or DNG? Thanks.

Hi Jamie!

Short answer: I shoot in RAW and process in Sigma software.

Long answer: When I first got my Sigma SD1 Merrill I watched a simple YouTube review by Angela Nicholson and she said that the JPEGS OOC were a bit flat compared to processing the RAW files with the Sigma Photo Pro software. So, right from the begining I always shot in RAW and processed in the Sigma software. I always enjoyed the results and the time consumming process doesn't bother me. When I purchased the Sigma Sd Quattro and later the Quattro H I just continued following the process I was already in the habit of doing.

A point of possible interest to you is that 100% of the time I process in the Auto mode and then occasionally I override the result if I'm not happy with it. That almost always means that I tweak the exposure setting one way or another. Most of the time Auto mode gets it right (in my opinion). If I was smarter I might tweak the other settings or have pre-set custom settings; but I'm not smarter so I don't.

Sorry for giving you such a lengthy detailed (rambling) answer to your short question but there it is.

The YouTube review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIwPtxzhTKI

There is still something that sets the foeveon sensor aside from all the other digital cameras and noticeable in those examples. Enormous detail but without that sharpness that can make digital images look a bit harsh.

Well said, Keith, you certainly nailed it with the "Enormous detail but without that sharpness that can make digital images look a bit harsh" part.

For me it's not only the foeveon sensor, it's the simplicity of the Sigma cameras too. When I use the SD1 Merrill or the Sd Quattro I feel like I'm back to using my old Canon F1N only without the film. No bells or whistles - just straight forward photography.

I better put up some more images or it'll look like I hijacked a thread about images.

Sigma Sd Quattro H, Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 "Art" lens
Yokohama, Japan

SDIM0049.jpg

SDIM0050.jpg

SDIM0032.jpg

SDIM0290.jpg

SDIM0183.jpg

Long answer: When I first got my Sigma SD1 Merrill I watched a simple YouTube review by Angela Nicholson and she said that the JPEGS OOC were a bit flat compared to processing the RAW files with the Sigma Photo Pro software.

With the Merrill's that would be true.

Try JPEGs on the SD Quattro's. They can be extremely good. These are SOOC JPEGs from the SDQH with the 'A' firmware version.

For example:
38785394832_970590ee21_b.jpg

or 105mm Macro @F8

40908806931_4db5a458ab_b.jpg

Same thing on a Fuji X Pro 2 with 90mm Tamron Macro @F8

40014991485_0441444fdb_b.jpg

Shawn

Shawn,
These are lovely images. I like the way you chose exposure a lot.

Can you tell which jpeg 'film type' you used? I've been primarily using the "Neutral" setting until now.

With the Merrill's that would be true.

Try JPEGs on the SD Quattro's. They can be extremely good. These are SOOC JPEGs from the SDQH with the 'A' firmware version.

For example:
or 105mm Macro @F8
Same thing on a Fuji X Pro 2 with 90mm Tamron Macro @F8

Shawn

Well said, Keith, you certainly nailed it with the "Enormous detail but without that sharpness that can make digital images look a bit harsh" part.

For me it's not only the foeveon sensor, it's the simplicity of the Sigma cameras too. When I use the SD1 Merrill or the Sd Quattro I feel like I'm back to using my old Canon F1N only without the film. No bells or whistles - just straight forward photography.

I agree also re: Keith's assessment and Mike's. I'd add that I very much like the way these cameras slow everything down. The whole process of exposure and processing feels much more akin to using film gear. I love the Sigma for that... and the wonderful image quality of course. :)

The photos in this thread are truly sublime. Remarkable camera in an age where soaring ISO capabilities, focus speed and a lot of things that many of us don't really care about seem to rule design. Thank god for Sigma and their unique approach to digital photography. :)

Sigma Sd Quattro H, Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG "Art" lens (46mm on Sd Quattro H)
Yokohama, Japan - March 27, 2018
Everything shot at ISO 100 and processed with Sigma software set in Auto mode.

SDIM2456.jpg

SDIM2458.jpg

SDIM2473.jpg

SDIM2480.jpg

SDIM2494.jpg

SDIM2548.jpg

SDIM2597.jpg

Stunning rendering (and great images Mike!). I always thought that if I wanted a digital for color work it would be down to Epson and Sigma.

In a nod to Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground I call this set of pictures "The Velvia Underground"

img280.jpg

Lou Reed - March 2, 1942 – October 27, 2013 - RIP

Sigma Quattro H, Sigma 35mm f1.4 "Art" lens
Yokohama, Japan

Run Run Run
SDIM2507.jpg

I'll Be Your Mirror
SDIM2511.jpg

Femme Fatale
SDIM2518.jpg

What Goes On
SDIM2514.jpg

I Can't Stand It
SDIM2523.jpg

Sweet Jane
SDIM2530.jpg

Rock And Roll
SDIM2535.jpg

Beginning To See The Light
SDIM2607.jpg

^^^ Great images, Shawn, thanks for sharing - hope to see more from you.

Sigma Sd Quattro H, Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG "Art" lens (46mm on Sd Quattro H)
Yokohama, Japan - March 2018
Everything shot at ISO 100 and processed with Sigma software set in Auto mode.

SDIM2549.jpg

SDIM2568.jpg

SDIM2624.jpg

SDIM2651.jpg

SDIM2669.jpg

SDIM2532.jpg

Sigma Sd Quattro H, Sigma 85mm f1.4 EX DG lens (113mm on Sd Quattro H)
Everything shot at ISO 100 and processed with Sigma Photo Pro software in "Auto" mode.
Lens was focused manually for all images.
Yokohama, Japan - April 2018

After the rain in Yokohama park

SDIM2740.jpg

SDIM2747.jpg

SDIM2749.jpg

SDIM2763.jpg

SDIM2768.jpg

SDIM2772.jpg

SDIM2799.jpg

SDIM2803.jpg

SDIM2814.jpg

Back