Sigma Sd Quattro "H" Images

Sigma Sd Quattro H, Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG lens (26mm on Sd Quattro H)
Yokohama, Japan - April 2018

The Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG lens is no longer manufactured by Sigma. I still happily use it mainly because the minimum focus distance is 20cm; that and the fast f1.8 aperture is nice too! Auto focus for the older Sigma EX DG lenses on the new Sigma Sd Quattro cameras is (in my opinion) not reliable but that doesn't matter to me because I prefer manual focus in most situations. Anyway here are a few candid shots taken last week.

SDIM2864.jpg

SDIM2875.jpg

SDIM2880.jpg

SDIM2887.jpg

Sigma Sd Quattro H, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG lens (32mm-93mm on Sd Quattro H)
Everything shot at ISO 100 and processed with Sigma Photo Pro software.

SDIM2928.jpg

SDIM2932.jpg

SDIM2963.jpg

SDIM2947.jpg

SDIM2977.jpg

SDIM2978.jpg

SDIM2981.jpg

SDIM2985.jpg

SDIM2989.jpg

SDIM2997.jpg

Wonderful. Great images and color.

Maybe you've discussed this. You are either very short, sitting on a bench, or are holding the camera down, almost like a TLR at chest height. The Sigma H doesn't have a tilting screen. Can you say a bit about how you are framing?

Wonderful. Great images and color.

Maybe you've discussed this. You are either very short, sitting on a bench, or are holding the camera down, almost like a TLR at chest height. The Sigma H doesn't have a tilting screen. Can you say a bit about how you are framing?

Hi Dan,

When I shoot with the Sigma Sd Quattro and some other cameras as well and I’m doing people pictures I frequently shoot from chest level. I’m 6’ 1” tall and I like a lower perspective versus me shooting down on people. To do this with the Sd Quattro I set the focus scale to just under 1 meter (or whatever distance is appropriate) pick a suitable aperture with regards to the existing light and the lens I’m using (usually anywhere between f2.8 and f5.6) and then holding the camera at chest level I walk up to the subject and when I’m where I want to be I take the picture.

It would be difficult for me to stoop over while I look through the viewfinder and walk down the street taking pictures. For me street photography is very dynamic; people are not going to stand still while I try to focus on them and then take their picture. And, autofocus is a non-starter, way too slow.

When I’m taking pictures of static subjects like flowers, cityscapes, ships, etc... I almost always look through the viewfinder and focus manually. I always carry a newspaper in my backpack to sit on or kneel on when I’m going for a low angle. At age 62 squatting down for extended periods of time while I compose, focus and shoot is all well and good until I try to stand back up - ugh! So, now I just sit and or kneel on the ground.

I’ll do what I need to do to get a shot: hold the camera over my head, use the viewfinder, hold the camera at chest level, bend over and hold the camera level with the subject, sit on the ground and even put the camera on the ground for an extreme low level perspective. Fortunately the Sigma lenses (in my opinion) are easy to work with and with a knowledge of the basics of photography I can get pretty good results weather I look through the viewfinder or not.

Lastly, like most things, a lot of practice helps.

Sorry for the longish answer, I hope it makes sense to you and it gives you what you wanted to know.

It's only being viewed on a computer monitor admittedly but I have yet to see an output from any other camera I like as much as this H. If I wasn't so non financial currently I'd have one in a shot. :)

I like your explanation of your street approach as well.

Thanks for the discussion of your camera methods, Mike.

Having used a TLR extensively, your angle is very familiar. One thing I have always noticed about a TLR is that people seem to pay no attention to it. I can be looking through it and framing from a meter distance from someone and if they glance over they do not react. I imagine that the Sigma creates a different dynamic if you hold it to your face in the street.

Sigma Sd Quattro H, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG lens (32mm-93mm on Sd Quattro H)
Shot at ISO 100 and processed with Sigma Photo Pro software.

A few more from the same day as the last set.

SDIM2917.jpg

SDIM2913.jpg

SDIM2919.jpg

SDIM2941.jpg

SDIM2965.jpg

SDIM2946.jpg

SDIM2968.jpg

Sigma Sd Quattro H, Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG "Art" lens (46mm on Sd Quattro H)
Yokohama, Japan - May 2018
Everything shot at ISO 100 and processed with Sigma software.

SDIM2999.jpg

SDIM3026.jpg

SDIM3027.jpg

SDIM3036.jpg

SDIM3037.jpg

SDIM3057.jpg

SDIM3061.jpg

SDIM3088.jpg

SDIM3089.jpg

SDIM3101.jpg

SDIM3104.jpg

SDIM3075.jpg

SDIM3111.jpg

SDIM3113.jpg

SDIM3116.jpg

SDIM3122.jpg

SDIM3146.jpg

SDIM3168.jpg

SDIM3216.jpg

SDIM3220.jpg

I don't care for the shots outdoors in bright light. They have digital written all over them, and look much like any other digital camera.

The low light shots are a different story. They look very much like film, and good colours at that. The Fuji sensor is quite different from the others in low light. Very nice.

But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

Ricky Nelson - "Garden Party"

A few more from the same day.

SDIM3196.jpg

SDIM3162.jpg

SDIM3195.jpg

SDIM3161.jpg

SDIM3110.jpg

SDIM3144.jpg

SDIM3163.jpg

SDIM3121.jpg

Played them all the old songs, thought that's why they came
No one heard the music, we didn't look the same

--Ricky Nelson

^ Jamie, Well done! Those are some stunning images you've posted. I hope there are more to come in the near future.

Sigma Sd Quattro H - Sigma 35mm f1.4 "Art" lens
ISO 100, images processed with Sigma software
Yokohama, Japan

The Harbor View Park rose garden on a sunny day.

SDIM3192.jpg

SDIM3191.jpg

SDIM3204.jpg

SDIM3203.jpg

I noticed that most of the people here are of a certain age group. I fit right in.
SDIM3214.jpg

^ Great shots, Shawn, I'm a big fan of the Sigma 20mm f1.8 EX DG lens.

Sigma Sd Quattro H - Sigma 35mm f1.4 "Art" lens
ISO 100, images processed with Sigma software
Yokohama, Japan

SDIM3003.jpg

SDIM3000.jpg

SDIM3025.jpg

SDIM3033.jpg

SDIM3052.jpg

SDIM3058.jpg

Back