Sigma sd Quattro and sd Quattro H

I don't know if this has been addressed in depth, but how is the SDQ and/or H in hot weather? Is overheating a valid complaint?

I live in Austin and often travel to SE Asia, so a camera that tends to overheat might be a problem. I have a DP3M that does get pretty warm, but it's manageable.

I haven’t noticed mine ever getting warm, but it is just now starting to get hot here in Ohio. The SDQ cameras are larger than the DP Merrills, that might help with heat dissipation? Battery life is much better. Do you shoot lots of consecutive frames that overheats your Merrill?

Thanks for the info, Larry.

No, I don't pray'n'spray; I have learned that waiting for the buffer to clear is the First Law of Merrill. I'm a deliberate, non-street, shooter. I'm just about to the push the B&H "Begin Checkout" button.

Thanks for the info, Larry.

No, I don't pray'n'spray; I have learned that waiting for the buffer to clear is the First Law of Merrill. I'm a deliberate, non-street, shooter. I'm just about to the push the B&H "Begin Checkout" button.

The bottom corner of the camera will get warm if it stays on awhile. I haven't had it shut down and I have shot 120+ shots in fairly quick succession for a blend. I haven't used it on a very hot day though. Keeping the power save option on probably helps with this as the camera will slow down if you are inactive for a bit.

You do not have to wait for the buffer to clear on the sd Quattro. It will keep writing to the sd card from the buffer if you continue to shoot. As I recall from the DPMs if you shot while the buffer was writing the buffer write was essentially cancelled and had to start over when you stopped shooting. The buffer writes are also much faster, maybe half the time.

All in all a much more usable camera than the earlier ones.

Shawn

Back