Sigma sd Quattro and sd Quattro H

A bit at a loss here. Why a 1.6x and a 1.3x? At least there is a viewfinder.

But very likely the end of the line for the SD1?

EDIT and no 1:1:1 raw for the aps-H version! What were they thinking.

wow, this could be really cool! for me personally alot depends on how theyve dealt with the foveon achilles heel: low light performance. i am also curious about manual focus aids and implementation. also, as an aside, it never ceases to amaze me how immediate are the negative reactions! 'why' this and 'why' that, before we even know 'what' it is!

Well.. It will be interesting to c what improvements they have made..as well as the cost.

I guess the largest frame size (image circle supported by apsc SA mount lenses) is aps-h. Too bad they just didn't make it FF w/ detect for the apsc SA mount lens and auto crop just as Nikon and Others have done. Some of their SA mount lenses can handle full frame.

Can't wait to read the reviews..

Gary

wow, this could be really cool! for me personally alot depends on how theyve dealt with the foveon achilles heel: low light performance.

The DP quattros were at best one stop better than the Merrill. It would be interesting to c if they could improve it of sd version. The had over a year to learn what hw improvements were needed on the DP Quattro cameras.

They did go w/ both phase and contrast detect af cells on this design. I don't remember them mentioning it on the DP Quattro. I wonder if the sensor has it but they just didn't have time to develop the fw algo for it. Could be one of the reasons the sd1q was overdue. Otherwise this is a new Quattro sensor and could be better in terms of noise then the one in the DP.

They did add a gimmick that I'm not sure about...new mode which is essentially the Olympus gimmick they put on the pen-f and em5mk2 using multiple shots from single shutter release to create a bigger raw file (emulating a bigger sensor). But this indicates if nothing else, they solved a lot of throughput bottlenecks in their digital path.

Their latest fw update to address color issues..to early to tell how well it works, especially in terms of false color that sometimes happens when the pseudo Bayer algo kicks in.. Usually happens when their is color change w/in a fine area of one or two pixel widths such as fruit skin imperfections or the peach fuzz hair of a peach. In other words, the usually culprits that all Bayer sensor cameras need to contend w/. Just that on a Quattro, the issue happens far less often IMHO.

Gary

why is the viewfinder so close to the thumb rest? Even for right eye shooter it might post problem :(

But for me it is by far the most interesting product announced this year so far.

Does Sigma's registration distance make this camera a good candidate for a universal manual-focus SLR lens body? There are certainly some Leica R lenses I wouldn't mind seeing Foveon results from.

why is the viewfinder so close to the thumb rest? Even for right eye shooter it might post problem :(

But for me it is by far the most interesting product announced this year so far.

good point on the location of the VF, i'm a left eye shooter so this would be tight.

my brother just wrote me: "first time my right pinky dangles below the grip I'd throw it against the wall!" lol

I love the shape of the camera, but the EVF placement is kind of funky (probably to keep size down). The dedicated VF/Auto/Monitor switch is a godsend.

But seriously odd about the C and H sensors. Sigma should have come up with a new mirrorless mount and released a sturdy SA adapter (a la Sony). Or just released an H version (or FF version) that had cropping instructions depending on lens, as someone else in this thread has already noted. Sticking with the Quattro sensor tech is a disappointment...I'll sit this one out.

---

Does Sigma's registration distance make this camera a good candidate for a universal manual-focus SLR lens body? There are certainly some Leica R lenses I wouldn't mind seeing Foveon results from.

The registration distance is 44mm, same as Canon EF. I guess you'll be able to adapt Nikon lenses, but not a whole lot more.

i dont think there is a way to mount R lenses--or any legacy slr lenses outside of m42--on SA mount cameras. i am happy to be told i'm incorrect!

I think I've read it at the Sigma official page that Sigma can change mount for a fee, but I can't get to their site right now.....

Will try their page again later to find out more

Back