Sigma sd Quattro and sd Quattro H

Sigma Sd Quattro, Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 "Art" lens
The world I live in - Yokohama, Japan

SDIM2073.jpg

SDIM2092.jpg

Raining again here, so back to the toolbox:

lhl_wrench_01c.jpg

Sigma SD Quattro, Helios 44-2 58mm f2 @f8, continuous light paint with small LED flashlight, about 15 seconds.

It's either an adjustable pipe wrench, or a lizard in a fully-belly laugh...

Got outside today for a short walk. Pulled out the infrared blocking filter, it came out easily with tweezers by grasping the handling tab at top, after pushing the release on the right side of the filter.

lhl_sigma_infrared_01.jpg

lhl_sigma_infrared_02.jpg

lhl_sigma_infrared_03.jpg

lhl_sigma_infrared_04.jpg

lhl_sigma_infrared_05.jpg

I put a # 87 infrared filter on the lens. Not much blue sky today, but I did get one break in the clouds, the sky appears quite dark.

The other shots are from bright overcast. Shooting toward the sun did cause some strange fogging, probably some sort of flare or reflection from the sensor.

All in all, very happy with the IR capabilities of the camera. I'll try again on a better blue-sky day.

Larry

Some new firmware became available for the SD Quattros in the past few days, 1.0.8 for the APS-c and 1.0.4 for the "H" cameras.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/download/cameras/firmware/

Select your camera model, it defaults to the regular APS-c SD Quattro.

Supposedly improves the viewfinder and LCD images.

There is also an option to improve the resolution of the jpegs, however, you MUST go into the linked PDF instruction sheet to get to that download, it is buried and separate. You want the "A" version for the higher rez jpegs.

I put both the jpeg improvement "A" download and 1.0.8 upgrade download on the SD card at the same time and all seemed to go smoothly. It did take longer to update than the last firmware update for me.

Thanks for the heads-up, Larry. I'll definitely check these out when I return home in a few days. I'm out in the Nevada desert with the sd quattro h.

Some new firmware became available for the SD Quattros in the past few days, 1.0.8 for the APS-c and 1.0.4 for the "H" cameras.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/download/cameras/firmware/

Select your camera model, it defaults to the regular APS-c SD Quattro.

Supposedly improves the viewfinder and LCD images.

There is also an option to improve the resolution of the jpegs, however, you MUST go into the linked PDF instruction sheet to get to that download, it is buried and separate. You want the "A" version for the higher rez jpegs.

I put both the jpeg improvement "A" download and 1.0.8 upgrade download on the SD card at the same time and all seemed to go smoothly. It did take longer to update than the last firmware update for me.

^Nice work, Shawn, great interaction between the boy, the dog, and of course... the snow!

Sigma Sd Quattro H, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG lens
Yokohama, Japan

SDIM1546_LI.jpg

SDIM1567.jpg

SDIM1568.jpg

SDIM1569.jpg

SDIM1570.jpg

Shawn, your focus stacking looks good. I'm a Contax IIa fan too.

I found a really nice used 17-50mm and it arrived today. I hope to try it out in the morning before rain moves in, finally above freezing for a couple of days.

Jamie, any desert photos to show?

Mike, you are getting some Fuji Velvia colors lately, I especially like the woman waving in the brown jacket.

Shawn, your focus stacking looks good. I'm a Contax IIa fan too.

I found a really nice used 17-50mm and it arrived today. I hope to try it out in the morning before rain moves in, finally above freezing for a couple of days.

I think you will like the 17-50, it is a good lens and the OS works very well on it. There are some very good deals out there on used SA mount lenses.

Shawn

Rained again, so I tried a few shots with the Sigma 17-50mm zoom inside, up close. The lens seems fine and gives a useful 27-75mm range on the APS-c Quattro. Focus is a bit jittery in low light, but it works. Shot here at 45mm, or about 67mm equivalent.

lhl_screwdrivers_01.jpg

A pair of old screwdrivers lit with an 18'' LED softlight and honeycomb grid.

Snow coming on Saturday, I will try to get outside and give the lens a try on the 17mm end.

Thanks for posting this, Shawn. This is a "DC" lens, correct? I have the SDQH as well, and I'm loving how many of the less expensive DC lenses work on the H model without vignetting. I have the DC 30/1.4 which doesn't vignette, and the DC 18-35 which doesn't vignette from 19mm onward.

Yes, the 10-20 is a DC lens. With DC Crop OFF it does vignette at 10mm (though not in 21:9 like above) but from 11mm and up it covers the sensor. Corners are rough wide open but they do improve stopped down. This is the later f3.5 version, I think the earlier version vignettes more.

I have the 30 1.4 ART and it covers the sensor. The 17-50 2.8 does vignette over much of the range but works fine in 21:9.

Shawn

Vignette test 18-35/1.8 on SDQH

Vignette test 18-35/1.8 on SDQH

Here are a couple of photos demonstrating how little vignetting occurs on H sensor using the DC 18-35mm f1.8 lens:

This one shows slight vignetting in the upper left and lower left:
U14844I1517533893.SEQ.0.jpg

This one shows roughly zero vignetting in the right side corners:
U14844I1517533894.SEQ.1.jpg

Lens hood was not used for these photos.

The vignette looks very slight, were these shot at f1.8? I've heard that lens is extremely sharp, can you see any difference?

The vignette looks very slight, were these shot at f1.8? I've heard that lens is extremely sharp, can you see any difference?

Larry, those images were made at f3.5. So today I made some 'white wall' images at different f-stops and focal lengths with the 18-35mm lens:

18mm at f1.8
U14844I1517614788.SEQ.4.jpg

18mm at f2.8
U14844I1517614787.SEQ.3.jpg

18mm at f5.6
U14844I1517614787.SEQ.2.jpg

19mm at f1.8
U14844I1517614786.SEQ.1.jpg

20mm at f1.8
U14844I1517614786.SEQ.0.jpg

These all seem to be about what any fast wide-angle lens would produce, so I'd say the 18-35mm lens is very useable over the entire focal length range on the SDQH body.

As far as sharpness, I'm not the best judge of that as I think nearly all modern lenses are better than anything I had in 'the old days'. :) But for something more definitive, check out photozone's assessment. They gave it 4 and half stars on a Canon APS-C body.

Ok....
Since I always Loved the Merrills
I am thinkng of getting the H... another ‘H’ for Miss HH... pun intended ;)

Since I am too lazy to research , can anyone give Me a heads up on what PRIME lenses are Compatible... which adapters

Thanks Much !

Best Wishes~ H

Back