not much excitement about new fuji gear!?

Hard to find something exciting in cameras that are really similar each other and keep coming in the market.

This!

It is the same with mobile phones. Back in the late 90'ies and early 2000's I would change my phone every 6 months because of new functionalities. Now I just buy a new $100 android phone when the old one breaks down. My X-E2 is still doing a fine job; 16MP is fine for printing up to A2 (with a little sharpening) - no need to upgrade. The fact that I don't have to look for new gear is a bit boring though :D

YouTube thrives on hyperbole - and, sadly, misinformation. Their posters feed on exciting the viewers. If only they would improve their basic production skills, cut the endless yap-yap and offer presentations people enjoy watching, then YouTube would be so much better.

On the other hand, the lack of excitement about the new Fujis is probably a Covid spinoff. We have all had enough wild times for the rest of our lives. A little peace and quiet and some sensible presentations to watch and enjoy, is perhaps what most of us now crave.

I like the Fujis, but I know very little about them - I'm a Nikon man. My partner prefers film, is using a Lumix GF1 I bought last year and is happy with the results, but wants something better and is keen to buy a Fuji with two lenses (WA and tele).

We have a reasonable budget, but we don't want to throw most of our savings into a retail photo shop's till.

I've been looking online for intelligent reviews. There are a few, but the of crap I've found in the past few weeks has quite turned me off buying anything new from Fuji.

In the end we will probably call on a reputable dealer in Melbourne (when the current lockdown ends), and look at a secondhand kit. This is the advice we've had from most of the photographers I know. Only one suggested we should buy new - the others all said prices are too high (in Australia) and what we will get won't really be that big an improvement over the older gear.

This may well be the problem with Fuji. Also Nikon. It seems a global thing in 2021.

I was up North, swimming and hiking. Not so many people with cameras comparing previous year. The only serious guy was with cute gripped camera and little prime. I come to check.
It was X-H1 with 35mm on it. Camera has feel between toy and tool. And lens looked like metal.
I came back home, opened X-H1 at BH.... No more available...

I was up North, swimming and hiking. Not so many people with cameras comparing previous year. The only serious guy was with cute gripped camera and little prime. I come to check.
It was X-H1 with 35mm on it. Camera has feel between toy and tool. And lens looked like metal.
I came back home, opened X-H1 at BH.... No more available...

The X-H1 was discontinued awhile ago and for whatever reason they seemed to have dropped fairly quickly on the used market. I recently saw several in the $600-$650 range from dealers. That is a lot of camera at that price with the IBIS and large 3.69m OLED EVF.

Shawn

The X-H1 was discontinued awhile ago and for whatever reason they seemed to have dropped fairly quickly on the used market. I recently saw several in the $600-$650 range from dealers. That is a lot of camera at that price with the IBIS and large 3.69m OLED EVF.

Shawn

It was introduced just in 2018. And no replacement. Together with short span of XF10 it is alarming.
Low price usually indicates lemon. But maybe in case of X-H1 and XF10 they were too revolutionary for Fuij regulars…

Film shooter since 2005. Bought an Xpro3 last week and can't wait for it to get here. Really looking forward to being able to just make images without needing to deal with developing, scanning, and editing. Bought an 18/2 to go along with it and will be getting a 27 WR eventually. Otherwise will be adapting my m-mount glass which will give me a nice set of focal lengths!

It was introduced just in 2018. And no replacement. Together with short span of XF10 it is alarming.
Low price usually indicates lemon. But maybe in case of X-H1 and XF10 they were too revolutionary for Fuij regulars…

I never read anything regarding problems with the XH1, just that it didn't sell well. Was a little longer, wider, heavier than the XT series and much deeper with the built in grip. The depth is mostly irrelevant with a lens attached. I suspect some didn't like the info display on top in place of the exposure compensation dial though it looks like a useful addition. The other thing was it cost more than a XT series and a bunch of the initial info about it was touting its improvements for video even though the higher resolution EVF and IBIS would certainly benefit photos too.

It was released shortly before Fuji transitioned to the 26.3 megapixel BSI sensors and new processors and the XT3 came out within the same year with that sensor and was less expensive.

Shawn

Already will buy a gfx-50r when I travel to nyc again. That doesn’t mean I’ll never use a small camera again.

I think you will really enjoy the GFX-50R. It is a very sweet camera. Don't think you would stop using small cameras (I didn't). For me, my usage shifted. I bring it around with the GF 50mm for just general shots. If I want a little more lens flexibility (and still small size) I have some Nikon glass I use with it. The gripped 50r with the 50mm mounted fits in a Hadley small with 2 more Nikkors.

If I want to be serious I have a bunch of Pentax 645 lenses that give a lot of additional flexibility (tild/shift).

If I am going for smallest size I take the x100f.

Shawn

I never read anything regarding problems with the XH1, just that it didn't sell well. Was a little longer, wider, heavier than the XT series and much deeper with the built in grip. The depth is mostly irrelevant with a lens attached. I suspect some didn't like the info display on top in place of the exposure compensation dial though it looks like a useful addition. The other thing was it cost more than a XT series and a bunch of the initial info about it was touting its improvements for video even though the higher resolution EVF and IBIS would certainly benefit photos too.

It was released shortly before Fuji transitioned to the 26.3 megapixel BSI sensors and new processors and the XT3 came out within the same year with that sensor and was less expensive.

Shawn

I’m even more confused. Is x-t3 is also gone, because here is x-t4?

They have to change comp name to FujiRapids. :)

I’m even more confused. Is x-t3 is also gone, because here is x-t4?

They have to change comp name to FujiRapids. :)

The retail lifespan (not camera lifespan) of most camera manufacturers (not named Leica) are a couple of years max. And really... Leica is getting pretty close too. 5 versions of the M10 in 3 years.

Just means you can get some great deals on discontinued or used gear if you are OK not being on the bleeding edge.

Sony keeps some of their older models in their lineup and drops their prices when the newer models come out. For example the A7RII was $3,199 when it was released. You can buy them new from B&H right now for $1,198, the A7RIV is $3,499. When the A7RV comes out everything will drop down again.

Shawn

I’m still excited about my X-Pro3. I really feel it’s the best digital camera ever made.

Yes - I think the X-Pro3 and X-100V are certainly the best Fuji has made.

One nice thing about Fuji is they actually make continuous improvements - they listen to customers and their products get better. Fuji has even provided firmware updates for my ancient X-Pro1 and lenses.

I think you will really enjoy the GFX-50R. It is a very sweet camera. Don't think you would stop using small cameras (I didn't). For me, my usage shifted. I bring it around with the GF 50mm for just general shots.

I'll most likely only buy the 50mm 3.5 and the cheap zoom that is coming out. I'll even pull out a tripod to use with it sometimes. I would keep my X-Pro3 and lenses and the X100V. Everything else (Sony with Sigma Lenses another older Fuji) can go.

The retail lifespan (not camera lifespan) of most camera manufacturers (not named Leica) are a couple of years max. And really... Leica is getting pretty close too. 5 versions of the M10 in 3 years.

Just means you can get some great deals on discontinued or used gear if you are OK not being on the bleeding edge.

Sony keeps some of their older models in their lineup and drops their prices when the newer models come out. For example the A7RII was $3,199 when it was released. You can buy them new from B&H right now for $1,198, the A7RIV is $3,499. When the A7RV comes out everything will drop down again.

Shawn

How about my Canon RP and GR III? Those ain't grasshoppers. With cameras been dumped every two years how is support going? None?
Ricoh support is not exist were I'm, but Canon's is.

Leica, is not worth of argument, IMO, it is priced oddly, to say at least. Not a real photographers tools anymore, with very rare, if not unique exemptions.

Sony is cool. Except ugly flesh colors. No matter if XXI comes, it seems. Light orange or old strawberry skin...

How about my Canon RP and GR III? Those ain't grasshoppers. With cameras been dumped every two years how is support going? None?
Ricoh support is not exist were I'm, but Canon's is.

Leica, is not worth of argument, IMO, it is priced oddly, to say at least. Not a real photographers tools anymore, with very rare, if not unique exemptions.

Sony is cool. Except ugly flesh colors. No matter if XXI comes, it seems. Light orange or old strawberry skin...

The RP is 2 years old, so is the GRIII. Both Canon and Pentax/Ricoh regularly release new models too.

I would argue Fuji has better support than pretty much anyone else. For example the X Pro 1 came out in 2012 and was replaced by the X Pro 2 in 2016 which was then replaced by the XP3. Fuji released a software upgrade for the XP1 last year. It has been updated more recently than the GRIII and only a couple of months behind the RP.

Canon has new models all the time. The RP came out 2 years ago so did the GRIII. That is about the model cycle for most Fuji's.

Sony's WB isn't great, use LR Auto in RAW or do it yourself and flesh tones are fine.

Shawn

… Fuji released a software upgrade for the XP1 last year. …

Yep. 21 firmware updates to the X-Pro1 over 9 years - that’s good support. Some of these have been bug fixes (mostly minor bugs), but some have added useful functionality as well.

Hard to believe I’ve had it that long.

The RP is 2 years old, so is the GRIII. Both Canon and Pentax/Ricoh regularly release new models too.

I would argue Fuji has better support than pretty much anyone else. For example the X Pro 1 came out in 2012 and was replaced by the X Pro 2 in 2016 which was then replaced by the XP3. Fuji released a software upgrade for the XP1 last year. It has been updated more recently than the GRIII and only a couple of months behind the RP.

Canon has new models all the time. The RP came out 2 years ago so did the GRIII. That is about the model cycle for most Fuji's.

Sony's WB isn't great, use LR Auto in RAW or do it yourself and flesh tones are fine.

Shawn

X-H1 Feb 2018. Discontinued around November 2019.
Probably shortest production of camera I'm aware of.

GR III March 2019.
Canon RP March 14, 2019.
I'm not expecting GR III and RP to be gone even next year.

Writing FW and providing support for HW might be two different things...

X-H1 Feb 2018. Discontinued around November 2019.
Probably shortest production of camera I'm aware of.

It's true... Fuji cuts its losses quickly. I think the X-A7 and XT-200 were even shorter. It recognizes when it fails, sells cheap and moves on. The X-H1 was like $2099 when released. It eventually sold really well at $999. It was a steal for that price, but an insult at $2099.

GR III March 2019.
Canon RP March 14, 2019.
I'm not expecting GR III and RP to be gone even next year.

Writing FW and providing support for HW might be two different things...

The GRIII will be around for another 3 years before being replaced...if it ever is replaced. Ricoh is very slow. They also know they have a monopoly on that type of camera. The RP? What can we say...it is really one of a kind too... Canon really made a statement releasing that camera at $999 new. However, they will eventually update it... at least quicker than Ricoh.

Back