not much excitement about new fuji gear!?

back alley

IMAGES
Local time
2:42 AM
i'm talking about here at rff...you tube seems pretty interested...

i have to admit i was waiting for the official announcements but my enthusiasm calmed down quickly.
the 'improved' 27 i find interesting still though.
i keep vacillating between being very interested ...enough to buy and thinking i have no need for any of this stuff

how about you other fuji guys?

I think the XE4/27 combination looks interesting, but is probably a bit too small. I like the clean look with minimal buttons on the back, but I suspect that's Fuji's design concept only for very small bodies. I suppose a half case would help/ So, I'm mildly interested in its ability to serve as a kind of modern digital/EVF version of a Minolta CLE.

But I'm tired of hearing YouTubers say the words "the ultimate street photography camera."

It's difficult to get excited over any new gear these days. I have all I need and, at this point I really don't want anything. The only "new" Fuji I like is the now not-so-new X100V.

I just wanna take pictures. Most of what I see that's new is for people shooting videos with still photos as an after thought.

The new medium format camera looks very cool. Imagine, you can now get a digital medium format camera that is around the same size, or smaller than, a Canon 5D Mark II or Panasonic S1. Combine that with the new f1.7 lens and you've got a camera/lens combination that has never existed before.

It's all nice enough... I actually like the X-E4 being even more minimal... the 70-300mm looks cool... but I already have four 24-26mp APSC Fuji cameras and no interest in new APSC lenses. I've been pretty much only using the X-Pro3 and 35mm F2 these days. I've lost interest in the X100V completely.

I just dying to get my hands on the GFX-50R with the 50mm and 63mm lenses as soon as I can travel to the USA and buy them for a normal price. It's the only camera I'm interested in really.

I have no interest in SLR shaped mirrorless cameras, so the latest 102MP GFX doesn't do it for me.

Honestly, I only know that I'll keep the X-Pro3, add the GFX, and maybe figure out what else from there... I've been thinking of Leica again lately.

The 1.7/80mm and GFX100S are undeniably impressive. I just can’t afford them.

I already have all the lenses I need in the XF system.

I’d love to get an X-Pro3 when used bodies come down in price to replace one of my X-Pro1s, but for these reasons rather than any improvements to image quality:

Improved frameline accuracy

Field correction while manual focusing
Bigger OVF
Focus limiter
Higher resolution EVF
Full frame PDAF coverage

Most of these are just things to make the lovely 60mm macro easier to use.

As a large format shooter I wonder if the GFX100S can be a low cost digital substitute? Mount a 24mm equivalent on it and shoot portrait mode completely level and then crop for the final image, ie crop out the foreground in place of front rise.

My thoughts -

xe-4 - Nice looking but persists with small viewfinder and loses the focus type switch that all the other X bodies have.

27mm - This is what the lens should have originally been. I've had 2x copies of the 27mm because they sound great in practice, but I soon reailse that if I wanted to use a twiddly dial to change aperture I would have bought a canikony. It's good optically but F2.8 is too slow for a prime lens on aps-c. If it were an f2 lens and 25% bigger to accomodate, it would probably be a perfect lens for the system.

70-300mm - Meh consumer superzoom. Will probably sell well to the masses.

GFX100s/80mm - Now we're talking, would LOVE one of these. Even the lack of shutter speed dial is okay with me considering its uses. The 80mm looks stunning - looks like they did the Fuji thing of not overly correcting abberations to leave it as a slightly more gentle optical design. Wedding, fashion, and portrait shooters should love this. Makes the canon R5 and sony A1 look overpriced IMO.

I keep up on it. I’ve not seen anything that makes me want to sell my xpro2 yet though. I mostly shoot with my leica kit, but the Xpro2 is just so damn handy to have for certain things. I think the only thing that would make me jump on it would be an improved and weather sealed 18mm f2 pancake but that doesn’t seem to be on the horizon.

Joe I thought you would be all over the XE-4. I know you previously enjoyed the other XEs.
I like the look of the XE-4 and the new 27, think it would be a really good every day carry, but right now I have both my feet firmly planted in filmland.

I was patiently waiting for the X-E4 with the tilting screen. From what I can see they have ruined it otherwise. I'll wait until I can see and hold it in a camera shop before I finalize that opinion. Lens wise I have more than I need now. Well maybe the 10-24......

Joe I thought you would be all over the XE-4. I know you previously enjoyed the other XEs.
I like the look of the XE-4 and the new 27, think it would be a really good every day carry, but right now I have both my feet firmly planted in filmland.

I was excited for the xe4 but it's too similar to my one remains xe3...still a great small camera in hand.

the 70-300 piques my interest but it would have to be at least as sharp as the 50-200 before I pull my wallet out.
I'm fairly confident that I'll get the new 27 and marry it to one of the xpro3s...

the xe3 I still have might be mated to the 16-80 for those times I feel like something different.

It's all nice enough... I actually like the X-E4 being even more minimal... the 70-300mm looks cool... but I already have four 24-26mp APSC Fuji cameras and no interest in new APSC lenses. I've been pretty much only using the X-Pro3 and 35mm F2 these days. I've lost interest in the X100V completely.

I just dying to get my hands on the GFX-50R with the 50mm and 63mm lenses as soon as I can travel to the USA and buy them for a normal price. It's the only camera I'm interested in really.

I have no interest in SLR shaped mirrorless cameras, so the latest 102MP GFX doesn't do it for me.

Honestly, I only know that I'll keep the X-Pro3, add the GFX, and maybe figure out what else from there... I've been thinking of Leica again lately.

as to the 100v I rarely leave it behind...I think I could live with that camera alone for a long time.

Having gorged myself nearly to the bursting point at the Sony A7R4 smorgasbord, I'm too full to do more than stand by and admire Fujifilm's GFX100s and Sony's Alpha 1!

As a large format shooter I wonder if the GFX100S can be a low cost digital substitute? Mount a 24mm equivalent on it and shoot portrait mode completely level and then crop for the final image, ie crop out the foreground in place of front rise.

If you're shooting digital, you're far better off using the perspective correction tools in Photoshop or Lightroom to fix converging verticals. That's how I do my architectural pics that are perfectly rectilinear.

I made a tutorial on how to do it:

https://youtu.be/rEKYQnpQcxc

The GFX 100S is the first medium format Fuji I'd consider buying...in five years or whenever it's $3000. Its small size and relative affordability make it appealing.

After waiting for three years, I'm disappointed by the X-E4. They went downmarket while I had wanted them to push it upmarket: weather sealing, fully-articulated screen to let vloggers put a mic in the hot shoe, make the eyecup larger, etc. I might still buy it for the lens system and APS-C sensor (to use with the new Laowa 15mm shift), but only if the Panasonic GX10 is a bust as well.

If you're shooting digital, you're far better off using the perspective correction tools in Photoshop or Lightroom to fix converging verticals. That's how I do my architectural pics that are perfectly rectilinear.

I made a tutorial on how to do it:

https://youtu.be/rEKYQnpQcxc

That’s brilliant. Thanks. Digital is all new to me but I have a lot of free time now.

Not much reason to get excited. I got really excited the other day when I discovered Adox CMS 20 II. Not sure why that is. I guess one reason is that I like long term "investments"...and that I do not need that many megapixels... (Ok, my excitement for CMS 20 is resolution driven...) More megapixels will only mean that my harddrive fills up faster. I made myself a book of my winter pictures - the largest format I could find. In it I have pictures from film, Olympus E1/E3, Fuji x100,xpro1, xh-1 - and the recording medium does not really affect how I enjoy the pictures...so how would a 100mp camera help?

Back