UK Region Northern Shooting Day

vincentbenoit said:
Hi Bob

Congrats on getting the Hexar! Great camera, hope it serves you well. What lens are you using it with?

Cheers

Vincent

Cheers Vincent!

I'm currently using a 40/1.2 M-Rokkor kindly lent to me by Paul (Kuvvy).

My funds are limited after buying the Hexar so I'm on the lookout for a reasonably cheap lens to get my M mount collection started. Any reccomendations?

Bobfrance said:
Took my newly aquired Hexar to Manchester with me today.

John, you'll be pleased to know I took the now obligatory test-shot The Rodeo Bar wall. :)

Bob - that's not the one from the Real Camera Co is it?

I knew I shouldn't have shown you that wall - I had a good thing going on there...... ;)

Was the young lady with you?

As to a lens - 35mm Summicron 4th version would be my first choice.

john neal said:
Bob - that's not the one from the Real Camera Co is it?

I knew I shouldn't have shown you that wall - I had a good thing going on there...... ;)

Was the young lady with you?

As to a lens - 35mm Summicron 4th version would be my first choice.

Hi John,

It's a big enough wall to share! ;)

The GF and myself took her (not so) little brother in to the Northern Quarter to show him the bohemian side of Manchester. I thought it would be a good opportunity to give the Hexar a test run.

A Summicron sounds nice, but can you get them for less than £200?

BTW I didn't get the camera from The Real Camer Co. I took a chance and got it off ebay for just less than half of what Jem was asking. I may have to pop in an see if he has any of those bargain lenses going soon.

Bobfrance said:
My funds are limited after buying the Hexar so I'm on the lookout for a reasonably cheap lens to get my M mount collection started. Any reccomendations?
What about a Voigtlander 35/2.5 Skopar? I used to have the "Classic" version in screw mount and was very happy with its optical performance. The more recent Pancake II (M-mount) shares the same optics, and is ergonomically very close to the Summicron IV pre-asph (similar focussing tab and aperture ring). Of course if you can afford the Summicron go for it!

Vincent

I think the CV 35/2.5 Pancake is favourite choice for a starter lens at the moment.

As you say it should be a good all rounder.

Anyone know of the best place to buy one new from? I'm guessing I'll get a better deal if I buy from the US.

Bob,

I have found that J8s vary widely - you can get some very good ones, but on the other hand....

The J3 f1.5 is (I think) a Sonnar copy, and can be a very good lens - tend to go for more than the J8 as a result.

If you want 50mm, keep an eye out for a Canon f1.8 - good lens and can sometimes be picked up for less than £50.

In 35mm, there are some really good J12s around - £35 to £50 should get you a belter, but I don't know if the Biogon construction is compatible with your body. Otherwise the CV pancake has an enviable reputation. If I could find one in ltm, I would be interested for my Barnack bodies. You could also consider the Canon f2.8, but these unfortunately tend to go for collector prices :(

Popped into The Real Camera Co. This weekend.

They have now moved into the room Jem showed us at the meet. It's a hundred times better. You can actually get an iead of what he has in stock, and as we know - that's a lot!

He was giving out free champagne, shortbread and nuts. With the obvious intention of softening up his victims beforeselling them a Leica or two. ;)

I came out with a CV 50mm Colour Skopar and I only had the nuts. Good job I didn't have the shortbread too!

If you're in the neighborhood (and feeling brave) it's well worth popping in.

I couldn't make it on Saturday - probably a good job, as i recently purchased a very nice Summilux 50mm from Jem and have my eye on a lovely Nikkor 28mm in ltm - if I'd had the 'poo I'm sure I would have bought that too :eek:

john neal said:
I couldn't make it on Saturday - probably a good job, as i recently purchased a very nice Summilux 50mm from Jem and have my eye on a lovely Nikkor 28mm in ltm - if I'd had the 'poo I'm sure I would have bought that too :eek:
I couldn't get there either, as I'm currently lumbered with a dislocated and fractured left elbow.

Back