UK Region Northern Shooting Day

tom_f77

Tom Fenwick
Local time
12:39 AM
Ok, there is lots of interest in the London thread for a Northern meet-up - lets start a new thread.

I vote for Manchester for a first destination - other places would be interesting but maybe not as easy for everyone to get to? It might be worth a bit of effort for some seedy seaside venue I suppose...

Ideas? Dates?

Tom

All motorways lead to Brum.

I'd be up for a meet in the place they designed Venice after. Or Manchester if not ;-)

kully said:
All motorways lead to Brum.

I'd be up for a meet in the place they designed Venice after. Or Manchester if not ;-)

They were talking about that on the radio today - Manchester is the Florence of the north, apparently... :)

Don't be daft Manny - the sun doesn't set at all up here until September, and even then the aurora is enough to illuminate the reindeer migration. You should come up - you might like it.

Tom

tom_f77 said:
They were talking about that on the radio today - Manchester is the Florence of the north, apparently... :)

Don't be daft Manny - the sun doesn't set at all up here until September, and even then the aurora is enough to illuminate the reindeer migration. You should come up - you might like it.

Tom

Florence?? As in Magic Roundabout? Any thoughts on a date?

Chester has the old buildings/town centre, the town crier, and a pub or two. For some reason though, Chester has no antique shops that have photographica.
Manchester has... er... well, a canal trip, for one. It also has a couple of pubs.

Manchester - reasonably easy to get to, with architecture old and modern, canal, river and railway bridges, yuppie bars, pubs, and doesn't always rain.

As for seedy seaside venues - there's Morecambe, but it might be closed :rolleyes:

Good work on starting the thread Tom. I kept meanning to get around to it.

Manchester gets my vote for the first northern venue. As for dates, haowabout mid July in the (probably vain) hope that it may have stopped raining by then.

To get the ball rolling I thought I'd put forward some potential places to photograph:
Castlefield - by the canal, has bars and some okay architecture
Urbis - Big shiny glass building some fountains, always lots of people hanging around.
The Northern Quarter - the bohemian side of Manchester. Interesting shops and people, good bars.
The Beetham Tower - new very tall building for those who like big buildings.
China town - Great Chinese arch and other interesting bits. And very good Chinese food of course.

All of the above are do-able in a day.

There's also "The Real Camera Company" - Never been but I believe it has lot's of proper gear to drool over.

Bob.

Hi Tom,

I now work in Manchester, and would second the locations mentioned above by Bob. My gallery has some shots from the Northern Quarter (see the shutter art).

I know Jem at the Real Camera Company - he has lots of Leica stuff to drool over (& ltm copies by Tower, etc). If your tastes are more towards SLRs, he has hundreds of those too. I have bought from him and can attest the service provided - there is normally a bit of haggling room in his prices too :)

I could be pursuaded to spend a Saturday there, but fear that I might have to let the wife loose in Hrvey Nicks with the credit card (aarrgghh!)

Please keep me up to date with developments!

Xmas said:
Guys

Post a date, and a train station, preferably mainline from Brum.

Noel

Noel, it would be brilliant if you could make it!
The two main stations in Manchester are only about a mile apart and very close to the centre. My guess is that you would come in at Manchester Piccadilly - I can either give you directions or arrange to meet you at the station once plans have been finalised.

I'll finally be able to buy that pint I owe you.

Bob.

Bob

Yes thanks for offer, but a date and a place will allow a attendance list, and while I have a Manc map it is simpler, to meet at a station cafe like ManGo has orged.

If you hand over your QL I might be able to fix, and post back.

Noel

Hi guys,

I am in Manchester until Mid July. I would love to join in the fun as I dondt know much about this place.

Regards. Ungku.

kazarau said:
Hi guys,

I am in Manchester until Mid July. I would love to join in the fun as I dondt know much about this place.

Regards. Ungku.

The more the merrier Ungku!

We'd love to have you along too Plummerl but I'm afraid the Learjet's in for a service. ;)

bob

You need to pick a weekend, e.g. I'm in Preston 14/15 already but could make it to Manc. That is the first week end free...

Noel

Back