UK Region Northern Shooting Day

Ah, that's what the guy with the feather in his hat looked like. ;)

A good set of photos there. What film were you using?

Hi Dave,

Just Ilford FP4. I switched to colour in the Contax when the sun came out, but I've not had that one developed yet.
Just scanning the Contax B&W images; might manage half a dozen before I turn in.

Uploaded some more from the leica set BTW.
And now some from the Contax although whilst some are of the places we visited in Manchester they were taken a month or two earlier and haven't been posted into the RFF set on Flickr.

Last edited:
Good shots Bob. I was wondering about the film too. Like the quality of your shots. I used HP5 and to be honest didn't much like the grain. It was a bit too fast as well in that bright sun. Gonna have to get me some slower stuff to run through the CLE.

Cheers Paul.

I've gone off HP5 too. Like you I wasn't keen on the grain.
I tend to favour FP4 and Delta 100 mostly. Although I've just bought a roll of XP2 (400) to try through the Ricoh.

That said, the roll of Fuji 1600 I put through the GR1 has come out smoother than I expected. I try and scan some in tomorrow.

Last edited:
Good shots Bob, especially from a machine you were unfamiliar with!

I think there is the embryo of another pano with your "looking left" shot - see attached (5 minute exercise in PS - could be done much better), anyone got another take on this to build up the picture?

I see I had put my "fat" suit on for the day, again :eek:

I still have to process the HP5 that I was running through the MP - have to say, I thought I had put XP2 in as I don't like the grain of the new '5. I will have to take care in processing and see what turns out. I had a colour in the M3, but have only just finished that roll - should be processed by tomorrow.

It's interesting to see the things that others pick up on, e.g. I saw the sign by the Beetham Tower, but didn't see the shot, same with the opportunity for reflections in the shop windows. Seems there is always something new - thanks for that guys!

Attachments

• lefties.jpg
    lefties.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi John,

I know what you mean about different people seeing different shots.
I found it very interesting to see the diversity of images that came from our little trip.

It goes to show - there are good shots everywhere you just have to learn to see them. I try to remember this when I'm feeling uninspired.

As for bosyshape. You were at the edge of the frame - put it down to lens distortion. ;)

I too have been disappointed with HP5+, which I've found to have much more obtrusive grain and poorer tonality than Tri-X (the new one). This is based on rating the film at 320-400 iso and developing in D76 or Xtol. It might well be that the latter is not suited for the Ilford film, but D76 is supposed to be identical to Ilford's own ID-11 which is known to work well for HP5+. I guess I could try DD-X but can't be bothered, so I'm sticking to Tri-X.

FWIW...

Vincent

Finally I've got my gallery up and running again (thanks John!), so I thought I'd add some more images to the thread.

These have been on the flickr site so you may have already seen them, but all being well I'll have some more scanned this evening.

Also posted my roll of colour off for processing today, so expect some colour towards the end of the week.

Bob.

Finally I've got my gallery up and running again (thanks John!), so I thought I'd add some more images to the thread.

These have been on the flickr site so you may have already seen them, but all being well I'll have some more scanned this evening.

Also posted my roll of colour off for processing today, so expect some colour towards the end of the week.

Bob.

Attachments

• Miles-Away.jpg
    Miles-Away.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Looking-Left.jpg
    Looking-Left.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0
  • Shady-Characters.jpg
    Shady-Characters.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0
Good photos, Bob. I'll have the shots from the Leica done by Sunday.

Curse the 10-day shift (I'm on day 8, and am becoming zombiefied). :mad:

I like the middle one best Bob - something about the distribution of the figures I think - I want to know what they are looking at.

My colour roll is still in the M3 - d*mn this lousy weather and work!

Here's another one I've just uploaded folks.

BTW anyone heard from Tom? he started this thread and went out with Vincent for a mammoth shooting day. I'd like to see some of his shots.

Attachments

• Waiting-at-the-station.jpg
    Waiting-at-the-station.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 0
A few more shots from my second roll. This time it's T400CN. Again I'm a little disappointed with the results. They are as grainy as the HP5 shots I took. Whether it's me, the camera (Minolta CLE) or the processors (Peak Imaging) I don't know. I know the CLE tends to be infulenced on auto rather too easily and I'm having to use a handheld meter because of it. Any other CLE owner find the auto exposure poor?

Paul

Attachments

• brolly_web.jpg
    brolly_web.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
  • hilton_web.jpg
    hilton_web.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 0
  • mall_web.jpg
    mall_web.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
Paul,

Good shots - I completely missed whatever the first one is - very abstract.

I have just shot a rool of T400CN (completely foxed the mini-lab) and found the same. I started using it because I was getting too much grain from HP5, etc and thought it would work like XP2 - i.e. liitle or no grain. I'm beginning to wonder if the answer is to overexpose by a stop or even 1 1/2 (so rate it at 200 or even 160). I have tried this with XP2 and found it works well - good shadow detail and not too many blown highlights.

Hi Guys,

Some nice pics there Paul. Just what is that first one?

I've now got my colour films back but unfortunately I won't have time to scan them until next week.
There a few shots of our motley crew in full technicolour that I'm looking forward to posting - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

;)

Bob.

kuvvy said:
The first picture guys is of one of the umbrellas at the tables outside Mr.Thomas's.

Well spotted photograph. :)

I'm still waiting for my prints, I'll phone them in the week to find out what's happened.

Back