Just Got an M3

I’m glad you’re enjoying the M3 Chris. I bought one six years ago but can still remember when I first put it up to my eye and focused it. I felt I was operating a real precision machine. And I was amused by your creativity in recognizing a built-in storage place for the base plate while loading.
John Mc

2020-07-04-0004.jpg

The last Big Boy Restaurant in Fort Wayne. The owner decided to close it permanently last month, after being temporarily closed due to the coronavirus pandemic. This is in the Waynedale area, a part of Fort Wayne that was once an independent small town.

Leica M3, Voigtlander 28mm f3.5 Color-Skopar LTM, and Tmax 400 developed N-1 in D-76 1+1.

Congrats on the M3, Chris. I love this shot of the Big Boy Restaurant.

Good deal it was I guess.

Where is one person in USA who sells Barnacks after CLA and new curtains, half-mirrors if needed. They are not overpriced. He is available on ebay and gives warranty for each Barnack sold, serviced by him.
His CLA is 90 USD and curtains are not expensive either.

So, who is this person, Kostya? I did a quick scan on eBay and didn't see a Leica service offered. I'd like to get my M4P serviced.

Great pictures, Chris! The product shot at the top of the thread is excellent too--M3 almost looks like an oil painting.

Thanks, I used to do a lot of product photography back when I lived in Santa Fe in 2006-2007; so I'm pretty good at making objects look good :D

What's crazy is that the light was totally unsophisticated. I didn't get out my studio strobes, just used the fluorescent lights on the ceiling of my basement! I controlled how the light looked by positioning the camera since the lights were not moveable.

Congrats on the M3, Chris. I love this shot of the Big Boy Restaurant.

Hey Chris, Congrats on the M3, looks like you got a nice one.

And I do miss the Big Boy, grew up down the street from one in Cincinnati, and loved the food, I'm sure it's unhealthy, but boy did it taste good.

Best,
-Tim

Rob and Tim,

Eating at Azar's was a big part of my childhood. They were a very small Big Boy franchise, only located in Fort Wayne, but they had 10 or 12 locations here when I was a kid. I still went there occasionally until the coronavirus shut down restaurants here. I'm sad to see them close, and so are many of Waynedale's residents. For 25 yrs, the Wayendale Azar's was the very last one left in Ft. Wayne, and it was a big part of Waynedale's culture.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the M3 Chris. I bought one six years ago but can still remember when I first put it up to my eye and focused it. I felt I was operating a real precision machine. And I was amused by your creativity in recognizing a built-in storage place for the base plate while loading.
John Mc

I remember reading something about photojournalists back in the 50s and 60s holding their Leica base plates in their mouths like that. Can't remember where I read it, but it works!

2020-07-06-0004.jpg

2020-07-06-0003-crop.jpg

Kayaks for rent and people kayaking on the river in Fort Wayne's downtown Promenade Park.

Both photos shot with the M3 and the screwmount 90mm f4 Elmar on Tmax 400 developed N-1 in D-76 1+1.

The M4-P has the quick load system also, which is one of the reasons I bought it. But if you want a classic model with quick load you could get an M2-R, or a regular M2 and have the QL kit added to it. I still have trouble getting the IIIf loaded right the first time.

PF

The M4-P has the quick load system also, which is one of the reasons I bought it. But if you want a classic model with quick load you could get an M2-R, or a regular M2 and have the QL kit added to it. I still have trouble getting the IIIf loaded right the first time.

PF

Yeah, I know the later Leicas don't have the removeable spools. The prices of them have gotten so outrageous that I doubt I'll ever buy one. I'd like a second body, but when I buy one it'll likely be another M3 or an M2.

2020-07-04-0003.jpg

My cat again. This was shot with the M3 and Voigtlander 28mm f3.5 Color-Skopar lens on Tmax 400 developed in D-76 1+1. Sneaky is sticking his tongue out at me! See the 100% crop below:

2020-07-04-0003-enlarged.jpg

Yeah, I know the later Leicas don't have the removeable spools. The prices of them have gotten so outrageous that I doubt I'll ever buy one. I'd like a second body, but when I buy one it'll likely be another M3 or an M2.

Reason No.2 of why I went with the M4-P is it was less expensive than any other model I was looking at. But then prices fluctuate with the fickleness of the masses, and some other M might take over the value leader role. Inventory changes can affect prices too, so right now is not a good time to be looking for deals. Sherry Krauter has decent prices, but it will be awhile before I can go looking for an M2 myself. Just got the shutter replaced in the IIIf, and I have two more cameras that need the same work.

PF

Reason No.2 of why I went with the M4-P is it was less expensive than any other model I was looking at. But then prices fluctuate with the fickleness of the masses, and some other M might take over the value leader role. Inventory changes can affect prices too, so right now is not a good time to be looking for deals. Sherry Krauter has decent prices, but it will be awhile before I can go looking for an M2 myself. Just got the shutter replaced in the IIIf, and I have two more cameras that need the same work.

PF

The M4-P has gotten outrageously expensive now. Even the lowly M4-2, generally regarded as the worst Leica M, has climbed up high in price. The M2 and M3 are the only ones that can be bought for less than $1000 now.

This is a 3 year adventure. I started with an M6 to get into rangefinder. Enjoyed it until I found myself an M4 at a steal of a price. Fell in love with the M4; the M6 sat. I sold the M6. I bought an M5, I sold the M5. lol not for me. Then found an M3, very well priced on the RFF Classifieds, FELL IN LOVE WITH IT; the M4 sits until I need a 35mm frame line and I'll pick that camera up. Enjoy the M3, it is my favorite.

The M4-P has gotten outrageously expensive now. Even the lowly M4-2, generally regarded as the worst Leica M, has climbed up high in price. The M2 and M3 are the only ones that can be bought for less than $1000 now.

The M4-2 and M4-P are the same camera apart from the frame lines. I actually prefer the M4-2 because the frame lines are much cleaner. Also early M4-2s were made from brass, the later ones, and M4-Ps, were made from zinc. As was the M6 which is basically an M4-P w/ a light meter.

Back