Just Got an M3

Chriscrawfordphoto

Real Men Shoot Film.
Local time
5:35 AM
leica-m3-50mm-elmar.jpg

I just bought an M3 from RFF member tightsqueez, and it arrived yesterday!

Those of you have seen my Barnack Leica thread know I bought a Leica IIIg awhile back. I ended up having to return the IIIg because it had bad shutter curtains. It was the fourth one I had bought and returned because of major mechanical problems that the sellers failed to mention.

When I saw tightsqueez's camera for sale at a good price, I jumped on it. I wanted the parallax corrected framelines. I shot a roll of film through it yesterday and the pics were flawless. I'm going to keep using my two IIIf bodies, of course. I still love them! I'm using my screwmount lenses with adapters.

I've got it equipped with my RFF soft release from Tom Abrahamsson and a 50mm f2.8 elmar in the photo above.

I shot M cameras years ago, a couple of M6 bodies, but had to sell them and my M lenses after the stroke because i needed money. Things are finally getting better for me, and I can afford to buy a few things for myself now :)

Name your price and I'll pay it, for that RFF soft release. (Just kidding). I got one when they first were available, somewhere along the line I misplaced it.

Very nice! I have the M3 as well as the current equivalent the M-A, and the crazy thing is 50 + years later the M3 (apart from the film loading which I actually feel is more secure) feels just as current. Everything is where it is meant to be, nothing gets in your way.

An aside, not asking for names, but did you buy any of those IIIgs on the classifieds on this site?

Congratulations Chris!
As by sheer coincidence, I just finished watching Ingmar Bergmans 'Persona' and a M3 makes a brief appearance in one scene.

Congratulations on things turning for the better. Enjoy your camera... it looks great. I’ll look for your M3 thread... :)

Good news Chris, and I will enjoy seeing the images you take with this set.

Love the splash of colour from that Domke strap. Chrome, tan leather and British racing green go well together - they evoke the mid C20th for me.

Lovely camera, Chris, I’m glad you can use it in good (or better) health.

I did not realize you had suffered a stroke. About 6 months ago I thought I was having a stroke; dizziness, nausea, trouble walking. I went to the emergency room and after testing and an MRI it turned out that it wasn’t a stroke. Most symptoms disappeared over the next 24 hours, the occasional vertigo remained for a few weeks then also disappeared. The whole experience scared the hell out of me. I consider myself lucky that it wasn’t a stroke. However, I did do some serious soul searching and made some adjustments to my lifestyle.

Anyway, I’m glad that you’re doing better and have the financial resources to buy some nice stuff for yourself.

All the best,
Mike

Congrats on your new acquisition! I love my M3 and preferred it so much over my M6 that I ended up selling the M6. I'm glad that you can now afford to buy a few nice things for yourself. You absolutely deserve it.

I'm looking forward to seeing images taken with the M3.

Congrats! Great camera. I was just gifted one from a friend in as-is shape, should have it back in running order next week. The M3 was my gateway into M leicas, my first though was a iiia that was a gift from a professor (I have been blessed to have friends that believe in my art and my life’s work).

Congratulations on things turning for the better. Enjoy your camera... it looks great. I’ll look for your M3 thread... :)

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. I shot a couple more rolls in it yesterday, and hope to have some stuff scanned in a few days to post here.

Good news Chris, and I will enjoy seeing the images you take with this set.

Love the splash of colour from that Domke strap. Chrome, tan leather and British racing green go well together - they evoke the mid C20th for me.

The green Domke strap, ironically, is something that Domke made for Canon. The leather strap ends have the Canon logo embossed into them! I used to have a bunch of them I bought cheap on ebay about 10 yrs ago, but I have given a few away to friends and sold a couple with cameras I sold. Now they're hard to find and expensive if you can find one. I love the color, I wish Domke would make them again.

Lovely camera, Chris, I’m glad you can use it in good (or better) health.

I did not realize you had suffered a stroke. About 6 months ago I thought I was having a stroke; dizziness, nausea, trouble walking. I went to the emergency room and after testing and an MRI it turned out that it wasn’t a stroke. Most symptoms disappeared over the next 24 hours, the occasional vertigo remained for a few weeks then also disappeared. The whole experience scared the hell out of me. I consider myself lucky that it wasn’t a stroke. However, I did do some serious soul searching and made some adjustments to my lifestyle.

Anyway, I’m glad that you’re doing better and have the financial resources to buy some nice stuff for yourself.

All the best,
Mike

I was a high school English teacher for a year after I finished my masters degree in literature. A couple months into my second year as a teacher, the right side of my body went numb for several hours one day. I have had neurological issues all of my life (I have epilepsy and also will randomly lose feeling in a hand or foot or arm for a short time). Because of that history, I thought it was just something like that and did not go to the hospital.The problem was even after feeling returned, my right arm and leg have been left weakened and I lose my balance and fall sometimes. Went to the doctor and he said I'd have a small stroke. I quit teaching and had to sell most of my camera gear because I still needed to support my son. After I recovered somewhat I worked as a substitute teacher for a couple more years, but have not worked anywhere in 5 yrs; just been living off sale of my prints, some commercial work, and teaching photo lessons and donations people send on my tutorials website.

The funny thing is, my income has increased during the corona virus scare! I think people stuck at home are redecorating and buying art, and others are spending time on hobbies like photography and using my tutorials and sending me money.

The M3 is a nice camera .
The first M I bought was 1955 M3 double stroke and I still use it .
Glass pressure plate and Buddha ears .

Back