Your thoughts on Nikkor 50/1.8 AI-S Japanese pancake version

I've heard that the 50/1.8 AF-D is exactly the same lens as the Japanese pancake lens, but in different clothes. Said to be optically the same.
You're exactly right, Nikon themselves even said so in their The Thousand and One Nights No.60 article:
What's more the same basic optical design was reborn as the AI AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S (coatings and such were modified), and is still available today (2016) in the AI AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D. When this lens was reborn as an AF lens, it lost its slim, pancake design, but its rendering characteristics remain the same.

I find you don't have to do as much work with this lens when using it (such as making allowance of external light/ flare etc) like one has to with other adapted lenses, it just delivers every time, I just focus on composition, shoot and I know everything's going to be fine. Reliable, and the 0.45m MFD of the 'Japanese' version is a bonus.
Untitled by Otim, on Flickr

I agree with @Ray Vonn 2023, this lens is great in almost all lighting conditions, except perhaps very low light. Not exactly a speed monster at f/1.8, but there are other tools for that. :cool:

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2023.04.14 Roll #331-08020-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

I agree with @Ray Vonn 2023, this lens is great in almost all lighting conditions, except perhaps very low light. Not exactly a speed monster at f/1.8, but there are other tools for that. :cool:

If you like this era of Nikkors, low light is what the Ai-S Noct-Nikkor was made for, really. But don’t expect to get one for the price of the pancake.

IMG_3428.jpeg

Marty

Of course for low light images, if using the pancake adapted on today's image stabilised digital mirrorless cameras and their previously unachievable iso capabilities with this lens, there's a lot of scope for, for want of a better phrase "getting away with it" which I beleive was the case with the below image.

Back