With the recent Kodak news, are you stocking up on film?

With the recent Kodak news, are you stocking up on film?

• No, I am not alarmed in the least

Votes: 131 47.8%
  • No, but planning to

Votes: 42 15.3%
  • Sort of, buying some favorite films

Votes: 69 25.2%
  • Yes, stocking up on lots of film

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • YES! Buying a new freezer to hold more film!

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • What is film?

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters
I work in a photography store and this guy came in this week and bought all our Portra 400 in 120 cause he is stocking up. Asked if we could order some more :D

I´m not worried, I think some good company will buy it and keeps on giving us Tri-X :)

Right now have approximately 100 rolls of film, color. B&W, 35mm, 120, & 220 and will most likely maintain the level and maybe add a little more to the stock pile. I still have a lot of confidence that film manufactures will be among us for several years to come.

. . . . . price on the other hand may get out of hand.

I hope not!

This is where it all becomes potentially slippery IMO ... as much as a company like Ilford could possibly wind up as the last major manufacturer of film they wouldn't want to go setting the bar too high price wise and alienating the remaining base of film shooters.

There is an alternative ... and its called 'digital!'

well, just for sport, i bought four rolls of iso 200 walgreens drugstore branded film today for $3. it was one day out of date.
i do need to put in an order for ap 400 and hc-110 ...

That's somehow funny, I just started to use Ektar and Portra 800 ...but think they will be availablo for a while, as amateur do not use end so much...
robert

I am of a similar mind to Keith and Robert on this; I am not a pro, just a hobbyist. I think that film could get even pricier than it already is rather than silt go away, making the temptation to soot digital all the more real. I kind of like being able to shoot film as much as I want, without felling I need to "ration things" in any way. The recent news from Kodak scares me that this eventuality may not be that far off. We shall see.

I feel like if everybody stocks up on Kodak films, other manufacturer won't sell enough and I don't wan't them to quit either... I've always shot Kodak Tri-X and used Kodak chemicals, but there are other options oversea... It has always been in a "ecological" way of less shipping with the US made Kodak, but I don't think there is anything "ecologic" about ditching photochemicals in the sink haha.

Not sure in which category I fall into, I don't use Kodak that much except for the Double X and I've been stocking up films even before the news came out....... and mumsy complained why I needed another freezer in my study when she came for a visit last July.

Come to think of it, maybe I should get some more EK5222....... and buy a bigger freezer.

i miss being close to Freestyle. Not only good prices but a crew full of advice. Each advice different! All meaning well..Here in Toronto, i went to Henry's for Tri-X, was listed at C$55 plus taxes. The counter said $104!!! I said "That's like 2 rolls!". The Counter person said "Do you want 2 rolls?". "NO!" "What will you do?" "Shoot digital." So film must know we all have a ceiling.
The labs i send to, Mini Labs, are considering closing all the retail outlets.. I will check out individual private owned small labs that are still functioning..
I will place orders. once cooler in weather with B+H NYC for a few 100' rolls of 400ISO, some slower.I think it matter not if TRI-X or HP-5. Color i will slowly move to digital only..

Just bought a couple of bricks of Portra 400. Love that film. However, if it goes, life goes on, either with film or digital.

was rummaging through my stash today,
i still have:
35mm
=====
1 can of 400ft of Polypan F 50
1 can of 152m of Polypan F 50
1 can of Double-x
22 rolls of arista premium 400
20 rolls of legacy pro 400 (neopan 400)
20 rolls of legacy pro 100 (acros 100)
20 rolls of arista premium 100 (plus-x)
10 rolls of Bluefire Police film

120 format
=======
8 packs of 5 rolls of acros 100
20 rolls of tmax 400
20 rolls mix bag of arista edu (fomapan 400), ultrafine extreme (hp5+)

going on a trip for 10 days, so will likely expend the arista premium 400.

raytoei

I think often stocking up is a way to have lots of expired film you want to sell in a few years. Kodak film is still in production, until it's not, I don't think there is a reason to worry. In fact, if I was going to stock up, then I'd rather wait until Kodak Film is a separate company, so the new company gets the revenue, and not Kodak so they can spend it on corporate printers or whatever.

Stocking up now means that any new owner gets a slump in sales.

Already have about 200 rolls of Arista Premium in the freezer, but this is a stockpile that only lasts 3-4 months. I buy in bulk to save money, but the supply dwindles quickly. Lately I've been shooting 60 rolls a month, up from 50.

Cal

As I don't use Kodak since they dropped Kodachrome it doesn't really worries me. More likely the labs around me will be gone before you cannot get film anymore. Getting film from a couple of countries away isn't an issue. Sending away to develop/return is something I don't really like to do.

I personally don't use kodak film so whatever happens to their film really won't hurt me. Plus-x was the last kodak film I actually liked.

I bought 500ft. of Adox CHS 25 and some Efke100 in 127.
In the 100 and 400 range are still alternatives...

I personally don't use kodak film so whatever happens to their film really won't hurt me.

Having competitors to your favorite brand helps keep prices down. Then again, there are some brands I'm not interested in either so I can relate. :D

No, I'm selling film equipment and moving to digital for 98% of my personal work. All of my professional has been digital for twelve years and now it's time to go digital in my personal work.

I'll also be selling a lot of film that's been in my freezer in the next week or so.

I buy the one or other roll of films that I always wanted to try occasionally but place is limited in the freezer so stocking up in large scales is not an option until I have used some of the films in the freezer.

Huh.

I voted with the majority, although I had no idea that would be the case. So most of y'all aren't worried? I saw Kodak's statement to be that they would continue to produce film and chemicals until they found a buyer committed to continuing the film business. If I'm correct, it's the best decision I've seen from Kodak for ... decades!

Except for an addiction to trix and hc110, I have been favoring European films. Worse news to me is that Efke has gone under! I was just about to get the recipe right for how to "hypersensitize" their Efke film to give the same speed as HIE. But my new favorite film is Delta 3200. It's an interesting film, especially if abused.

Viva el Ilford!

Back