With the recent Kodak news, are you stocking up on film?

With the recent Kodak news, are you stocking up on film?

• No, I am not alarmed in the least

Votes: 131 47.8%
  • No, but planning to

Votes: 42 15.3%
  • Sort of, buying some favorite films

Votes: 69 25.2%
  • Yes, stocking up on lots of film

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • YES! Buying a new freezer to hold more film!

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • What is film?

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters
Keith,

digital has won the color war indeed, but my Rolleiflexes simply cannot be replaced by anything...

Nothing compares to Fuji Astia or Kodak Portra in a Rolleiflex. Well, maybe Tri-X or T-max in a Rolleiflex :p

135 format to me more is a choice for Leica gear quality than it is for esthetic quality, I can have similar photos from a DSLR with vintage glass. I'd miss the Leicas like crazy but it would not impair my work as much as missing the Rolleiflexes would...

Just bought 500ft of Arista Premium 400 and a few hundred feet of Efke KB100 ... I'm not panicking but I'm certainly worried.

How do you like the Arista Premium Keith? It sells for about $20 less per 100' than Tri-x does here int he states.

Been spending about $1,000-$2,000 a month since 11/11 on film, chemistry and some paper. Big, big write off's on tax year 2012. I feel better about this investment every day...

This week's escapades are 100 rolls of 120 IR820, 250 sheets of it in 4x5, 140 rolls of Efke R25 in 120, 20 5L packs of Xtol.

How do you like the Arista Premium Keith? It sells for about $20 less per 100' than Tri-x does here int he states.

Everyone says that Arista premium is repackaged tri-x, and now that I started using it I am convinced that's true.

I intend to buy a sh-tload of it!

Randy

On one of the expired 100' bulk rolls I've used it was marked as Tri-x. Not really a secret that they're one in the same, but many still have no clue Arista Premium even exists

I bought a few 100' rolls of arista premium 400 plus some 36exp rolls from freestyle. Who knows if this will last. If this new buyer cuts that off and only keeps 100' rolls
of Tri-X it wouldn't suprise me.

Yes I'm stocking up, but it's not out of fear, it's because I'm almost done with the 75 rolls I bought at the start of year. Down to 12 rolls, so I'd better get a move on. Looks like I'll have to spread those rolls out over the next two months or so

I like the Arista EDU films & my stock of that is starting to dwindle. I need to grab some next time I'm in Raleigh. Last time I picked up several rolls of Arista Premium 400. Been thinking about buying up some HC110. The price seems to keep going up.

I'm skeptical that film will disappear. The number of films will dwindle, along with the number of companies producing film.

But.....I'm looking into getting a Mamiya 645AFD/II so if film does get too expensive or, God forbid-disappear, I won't have a camera going to waste. I already have RB67s and RZ67s, and a digital back with an adapter would allow me to keep right on enjoying those cameras.

I'll get rid of my XKs, Pentax 645, and the Voigtlander Superb, and my VW camper to finance the switch over.

Right now have approximately 100 rolls of film, color. B&W, 35mm, 120, & 220 and will most likely maintain the level and maybe add a little more to the stock pile. I still have a lot of confidence that film manufactures will be among us for several years to come.

. . . . . price on the other hand may get out of hand.

I went on a road trip a few weeks ago to some Route 66 landmarks in Arizona. I shot mostly 6x6 and 4x5. I had 4 rolls of Arista Edu 100 in 120 expired by about 6 months. When I processed them 3 rolls were fine but the roll with my best shots had the numbers and other marks from the backing paper zapped into the emulsion. I don't know how that happened. I am sure b/w film will be available for a long time but I want good film and not crap. I love TMY and will make sure I have 5 year's worth at all times.

I did buy a new freezer/fridge to hold more film and replace a dying inefficient unit, but that was a few months back... And I bought a some Ektar and Portra in both speeds. But most of my bulk buy was legacy pro 100 and acros 100.

Then why not go back to 1972 when many long gone papers were still available (DuPont Varilour, Agfa Brovira & Portriga, etc.)

I'm not sure the Time Machine Modulus has a 1972 setting.
I am quite certain however that it does have a 1982 setting.

Chris

I think often stocking up is a way to have lots of expired film you want to sell in a few years. Kodak film is still in production, until it's not, I don't think there is a reason to worry. In fact, if I was going to stock up, then I'd rather wait until Kodak Film is a separate company, so the new company gets the revenue, and not Kodak so they can spend it on corporate printers or whatever.

Stocking up now means that any new owner gets a slump in sales.

Arista Premium, if only because any new owner won't want to undercut itself.
Efke 25 and IR, because there is no other comparable film.

Back