Vince Lupo's Mapping the West

These are great, Vince!
Many thanks Joe - I still have a lot of photos to go through but will wait until I’m back home (I’ve been working on a small laptop during this trip, so I’m sure most of these shots I’ve posted will need some tweaking here and there). As well, I’ve shot about six rolls of 120 so far, so we’ll see if anything of value comes from them.

We’re going to be in east Texas tomorrow and then ‘officially’ leaving the West on Thursday. I think I’ve managed to get some worthwhile additions to the project and hope to be back in September.

Last edited:
Vince: I am very much enjoying these little snippets you are sharing of your work. I am looking forward to seeing the final product as I see the images as superb and have to believe the final product with be greater than the sum of parts.

I will be interested in seeing how you combine your color and b&w work in the end. I always tend to think of Alex Webb's "Crossings" where he worked in b&w for a number of years, then decided it would be better in color and restarted with a new series of images. I have struggled with that change is some of my long term projects, always making the decision to apply what I have learned over the years on that project but restarting with new images (my Cuban work is good example).

Thanks for sharing what you have.

Vince, this is too good! And, the window mounted AC with aluminum foil in the window reminds me of the '70s! What a gas!

You're the best!

Mike
Jeez many thanks Mike - I do appreciate it! My wife and I arrived in a small Texas town late in the afternoon yesterday and we did a little drive through (drive thru?) the ‘downtown’. I saw this wall at the main intersection (it was a burrito shop) and took note of it. Fortunately the wall was facing west so the late-day sunlight was projecting directly on it. After we checked into our motel room and headed off to dinner, I asked if we could just make a quick detour to that main intersection. 99.9% of the time she does not ‘get’ my work and generally doesn’t think much of it anyways (and really who can blame her?), and this time was no exception. Really glad I had her take that five-minute detour!

BTW she took one look at the finished photo and said “hmm yeah” and went back to reading her book. Ah well.

Last edited:
Jeez many thanks Mike - I do appreciate it! My wife and I arrived in a small Texas town late in the afternoon yesterday and we did a little drive through (drive thru?) the ‘downtown’. I saw this wall at the main intersection (it was a burrito shop) and took note of it. Fortunately the wall was facing west so the late-day sunlight was projecting directly on it. After we checked into our motel room and headed off to dinner, I asked if we could just make a quick detour to that main intersection. 99.9% of the time she does not ‘get’ my work and generally doesn’t think much of it anyways (and really who can blame her?), and this time was no exception. Really glad I had her take that five-minute detour!

BTW she took one look at the finished photo and said “hmm yeah” and went back to reading her book. Ah well.

Vince, that's very nice of you to take the time to respond to my post and give me the background story too! I sincerely appreciate it.

You're quite the gentleman!

All the best,
Mike

Thanks so much for sharing your superb photos, Vince. I love 'em all!

Your wife sounds like mine when it comes to my photos. No praise, no critique. Just, "Uh-huh." Keeps us grounded I suppose.

Thanks so much for sharing your superb photos, Vince. I love 'em all!

Your wife sounds like mine when it comes to my photos. No praise, no critique. Just, "Uh-huh." Keeps us grounded I suppose.
Tremendous thanks for the encouragement — yes my wife is most definitely my harshest critic, sometimes it feels like a deflation and other times it feels like a much-needed kick in the backside.

One of the many challenges will be trying incorporate the new photos into what I‘ve already done (plus I have a lot from this trip still to go through). A lot of these new photos likely won’t make into the series (like the one of Harvest at Chope’s for example, plus all the colour photos), so I may have to enlist the help of my wife and an editor friend of mine. Actually, if you guys have suggestions for inclusion/exclusion, I’m all ears.

Thanks again.

Back