Vince Lupo's Mapping the West

Made some updates to the Mapping the West gallery on my website:

Vince Lupo’s Mapping the West - Direction One Inc
I hadn't looked at this site for a while. Going back to it just now, I was struck again by what an astonishing body of work this is, and how well it gives an accurate picture of a complex world that is so often reduced to tourist clichés. Vince, you should be very proud!

I hadn't looked at this site for a while. Going back to it just now, I was struck again by what an astonishing body of work this is, and how well it gives an accurate picture of a complex world that is so often reduced to tourist clichés. Vince, you should be very proud!
Wow many thanks! I never think my work is all that great - I’m just trying to figure it all out, which I suppose is the point of the project.

One thing I do wonder if it reads as a cohesive body of work with a definite idea. In other words, do the photos measure up to the Artist Statement? And I also wonder if it’s at a point now that I could compile it into some kind of book/zine/etc. I know there’s so much more to do and I haven’t even scratched the surface of what the West ‘means’ to me, so maybe it’s premature to even be considering anything like that. I would like to show it again somewhere at some point down the road.

Wow many thanks! I never think my work is all that great - I’m just trying to figure it all out, which I suppose is the point of the project.

One thing I do wonder if it reads as a cohesive body of work with a definite idea. In other words, do the photos measure up to the Artist Statement? And I also wonder if it’s at a point now that I could compile it into some kind of book/zine/etc. I know there’s so much more to do and I haven’t even scratched the surface of what the West ‘means’ to me, so maybe it’s premature to even be considering anything like that. I would like to show it again somewhere at some point down the road.
It certainly seems stylistically and thematically coherent, though I'm looking from the standpoint of someone whose daily experience is with the land and the people of NM. Others might not appreciate or understand the diversity of subjects in your images, but that's the point, to my thinking: you are attempting to give people an understanding beyond the stereotypes.
As to a book? I think it's ready, and far more inclusive, coherent, and honest than most of the photo books dealing with Western culture. There will also, probably, always be so much more to do, and you won't be "done" until you decide to stop. Maybe a book will allow a chapter to be closed, even if you continue on with the project. I suspect that you're too much in love with the Southwest to ever stop completely. Understandable!

Nice Vince. The newer prints are looking good. They don't seem too bright to me. Just about right.
Many thanks -- I now need to figure out how I'm now going to move forward.

BTW I made even further adjustments to the gallery this morning. I added a couple more photos and moved some around. Interesting that as I start to look at them more I'm seeing connections between images I hadn't considered.

Speaking of prints, I think I need to get my butt in gear and make a new, complete set of them. Then it might be a good time to have a look at putting these into some kind of 'print on demand' book or some such thing. I think the suggestion by @Canyongazer for a 'Volume 1, Volume 2' etc or 'So Far' (like CSNY :) ) is a good idea.

I just read in the NY Times that Laura Lynch was killed in a vehicle accident on Friday. She was a founding member of the Dixie Chicks and was dividing her time between Ft. Worth and Dell City TX. The accident occurred on Hwy 62 near Cornudas, so it seems that she was likely heading to Dell City.

One of the very few photos I have of Laura - she was good friends with the New Mexico farming family I've befriended and I ended up doing a bit of photographic work for her. She was a great, dynamic presence in Dell City and will definitely be missed.

Jay Jack Laura and Hays by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I just read in the NY Times that Laura Lynch was killed in a vehicle accident on Friday. She was a founding member of the Dixie Chicks and was dividing her time between Ft. Worth and Dell City TX. The accident occurred on Hwy 62 near Cornudas, so it seems that she was likely heading to Dell City.

One of the very few photos I have of Laura - she was good friends with the New Mexico farming family I've befriended and I ended up doing a bit of photographic work for her. She was a great, dynamic presence in Dell City and will definitely be missed.

Jay Jack Laura and Hays by Vince Lupo, on Flickr
Read that report of her death earlier today, Vince... very sad. This is a very touching and powerful image. So much love, such an interesting interplay between generations. Really well done.

Read that report of her death earlier today, Vince... very sad. This is a very touching and powerful image. So much love, such an interesting interplay between generations. Really well done.
Many thanks for your comments Lynn - an unfortunate reminder to all of us that we never know when our time will come.

Laura was an energizing force in the little town of Dell City - I certainly wish I had the opportunity to get to know her better. We had talked about doing more photographic work for her businesses in town and for Dell City in general, but unfortunately it never came to pass beyond the little bit of work I had done for her.

Back