The Sigma Foveon M : Please Share your Monochrom Images

med_U47690I1364748049.SEQ.0.jpg

I have been experimenting a lot w/ the monochrom mode on this camera. Here is a set from the dp1m. Since the new 1.04 fw update and the spp support of raw b&w, I really really like the monochrom shots. This set was all shot at 4th street Berkeley. These were all done using the settings I mentioned above.

8643738789_d3dba9d573_b_d.jpg

8644834662_f66790d3e9_b_d.jpg

8643739203_faa2874b04_b_d.jpg

This was from my front yard after some rain had come thru during the early morning. It is these shots, I wish I had a dp3m.

8647433242_576d014aa3_b_d.jpg

Gary

Contrast!

Contrast!

Of course lower contrast to get more on bright spots!...i copied your c2 program...
Tomorrow i´ll test it at broad day light...i´m just beginning with my own experiments!
Hope during this coming week i´ll do a proper test against the mother of all digital cameras...that´s my m9....

But can´t say for sure what lens i´ll test it against...the dof problems makes me think i must be very precaucious with the choice ...but sorry for jumping onto another subject beside BW...:)

So tomorrow i´ll go to a huge flea market...hope to ge some leicas to do some bargains and of course get nice BW pics to post after PP...

Bye!

Of course lower contrast to get more on bright spots!...i copied your c2 program...
Bye!

Yep..lower contrast to bring in more grey scale.. Use. Photo sw to bring back the level of contrast to your taste later.. I am still experimenting w/ my settings, but tat was the basic idea.

Btw. The setting above, I forgot to correct the info.. I did in another post but not there. I initially used 0.4 and 0.2 respectively not 4 and 2. I wanted to get a feel for these setting before going to more different setting...which I plan to do starting tomorrow.

Good luck
Gary

:D....can´t say this camera beats the monochrom...but i can say it handles harsh light in a manner no other camera i´ve owned can...

8679358762_398c07d515_b.jpg

8666518415_6797990c35_b.jpg

Thanks, JJ! I immediately started asking myself why did I turn it the way I did. It's surely more than a question of composition... :)

U1632I1369696624.SEQ.0.jpg

Sigma DP2M processed with Iridient Developer, using the special Sigma monochrome mode, which avoids all colour processing at the raw stage.

For those of the Mac persuasion Iridient Developer is great for the Sigma DPs - much faster than RPP, very flexible, and pretty intuitive to use. Only $75.

Love the BW from this camera!

Kirk

Sigma DP2M processed with Iridient Developer, using the special Sigma monochrome mode, which avoids all colour processing at the raw stage.

For those of the Mac persuasion Iridient Developer is great for the Sigma DPs - much faster than RPP, very flexible, and pretty intuitive to use. Only $75.

Love the BW from this camera!

Kirk

Kirk, I see that your use of Iridient is probably centered on BW. I was put off from it because of the problems it had (has) dealing with color. But I can't remember seeing a comparison for B&W vs. SPP. Would love to see that, or barring that, hear more from you about the advantages. Thanks for posting! Jon

Kirk, I see that your use of Iridient is probably centered on BW. I was put off from it because of the problems it had (has) dealing with color. But I can't remember seeing a comparison for B&W vs. SPP. Would love to see that, or barring that, hear more from you about the advantages. Thanks for posting! Jon

Jon,

Just installed the latest Sigma Photo Pro. From what I can see the Iridient raw BW input profile produces a much sharper image and really beautiful tonality on this image compared to the SPP image.

Iridient is currently at v 2.1, which may be newer than what you were using. There's a 15 day trial, so you might give it a try. The default rendering is a bit dark - but easily fixed.

Cheers,
Kirk

Foveon HDR

Foveon HDR

Haven't shot much b&w with the DP since b&w film runs rings around it in terms of artistry. But ironically it's HDR (which I tend NOT to like at all) can come out allright in Foveon X3+B&W combo IMHO.

SDIM1782_HDR_s.jpg

Offroading Tanzania with my wife.

SDIM1629_HDR_2_s.jpg

Sunken wooden dhow Al Burag on dry during low tide, Zanzibar.

SDIM2132_1_HDR_s.jpg

Tanzanian portrait.

Tansaania-23s.jpg

Margus

It's official: I covet this camera. I should not have passed on the one that was in the RFF classifieds a couple of months ago.

Some B&W from Foveon X3, not Merrill, since I can't afford it, but those are out of the ancient DP2s model...

sdim0369_2.jpg

Arab faces of Oman...

sdim0475_2.jpg

Camel seller.

sdim0478_2.jpg

Portrait of fisherman on Masirah island, Oman.

Margus

Very nice work, Margus. Are the portraits handheld or did you use a tripod? Stunning detail without seeming clinical.

Back