The Sigma Foveon M : Please Share your Monochrom Images

Incredible, actually.

If it came from Cupertino, it would be "magical" ;)

The DP2m seems really great, but I tried the DP1(s) three times and it drove me nuts tbh.
It was just slow and I'm afraid that the Merrill will bother me the same way. :(
Prices already dropped quite a bit in Germany so eventually I may get one on the used market, to give it a try.

Another question:
Does the camera make these noises, as seen in Steve Huff's video, while focussing? I asked, because I saw another video, where it wasn't really obvious.

Thanks

I really think Sigma deserves credit for making this image quality available in this form factor at this price point. Incredible, actually.

Exactly.

As far as BW/Color mode when in RAW+JPG ... I shoot X3F (RAW) only. I can have whatever I want in post. It is not like my film RFs or SLRs have viewfinders in BW -and I am not color blind. While there may be arguments for having the screen in BW, I have tried this on other cameras and did not care for it. I believe the argument was for better peaking -which does not exist on the DPs anyway. What am I missing?

Raw converted to tiff imported to aperture and converted to b&w.. From dp2m

Gary

8209585615_cac906bc9c_b.jpg

Fantastic DP images here :) I too cant wait for prices to drop a bit more :p

In the US, prices on the DP1M and 2M have dropped considerably, until June, at least. New ones are going for $800, Meanwhile in France there is a rebate program, also until June, that rewards brand loyalty by giving a 300 euro rebate on the purchase of a second DP*M camera, making the price on a second one around US$800, too (pretty astounding considering that France price is usually 30% higher than US retail price).

I was lucky cuz I got my first one on sale (open box 30% reduction) through Amazon in France, picked up a second in the US after the price drop, and ordered a third in France to get the 300 euros rebate. Getting those three cameras for about US$2400 is certainly a lot of money, but I think it's a really good deal for what it delivers.

It's likely that I won't keep all three and sell one (which one? :bang:) , offering somebody else yet another way to get a lower priced one!

Well....i was about to buy a fuji xe1....my left side of the brain told me that....then...my right side said go for the dp2 merrill....it was a deuce....so my guts decided in favor of the sigma and a few minutes ago i payed for one sample....:D

My DP2M is here but unfortunately I can't get my hands on it. It's at the local post office and they won't be open again until Tuesday! :bang:

:D

The foveon files maybe the easiest to convert to b&w that I have played w/ so far. Now that I gotten over my initial mistakes and downloaded the proper fw updates to support b&w raw from the camera.. The b&w u c from spp are pretty flat (I hear the Leica monochrom files are the same). These provide a great jumping off point to manipulate to your taste.

Gary

My DP2M is here but unfortunately I can't get my hands on it. It's at the local post office and they won't be open again until Tuesday! :bang:

:D

If it was not worth it u would not be so ready to break down the door of your post office. So by tomorrow will we get your first impressions??

Gary

In the US, prices on the DP1M and 2M have dropped considerably, until June, at least. New ones are going for $800, Meanwhile in France there is a rebate program, also until June, that rewards brand loyalty by giving a 300 euro rebate on the purchase of a second DP*M camera, making the price on a second one around US$800, too (pretty astounding considering that France price is usually 30% higher than US retail price).

I was lucky cuz I got my first one on sale (open box 30% reduction) through Amazon in France, picked up a second in the US after the price drop, and ordered a third in France to get the 300 euros rebate. Getting those three cameras for about US$2400 is certainly a lot of money, but I think it's a really good deal for what it delivers.

It's likely that I won't keep all three and sell one (which one? :bang:) , offering somebody else yet another way to get a lower priced one!

Three wow. But u saved 600:rolleyes: :D Did u get a dp3m too? I have been reconsidering this one. Depending on what happens by the end of te year, I may pick this one up as well.

Gary

Three wow. But u saved 600:rolleyes: :D Did u get a dp3m too? I have been reconsidering this one. Depending on what happens by the end of te year, I may pick this one up as well.

Gary

yes, I did. Should have it here today or tomorrow, but it's simply horrible weather and I have way too much work to do right now to use it properly.

For you North Americans, getting deals is an everyday occurrence. But to put it in perspective, the price of two DP*M's here in France/Europe would normally be around US$2600. :eek: So you could say I saved 200 and got one free ;):D

I paid for these by selling my prized Nikon LS Coolscan 5000. The quality of the Merrill's is good enough for me to finally give up my Velvia habit. Talk about the crack metaphor, that stuff was becoming simply ruinous! I also like the black and white from the Merrills (to return to the topic) very very much. So goodbye to film!

It's only recently that I've begun to really comprehend the digital game and how to develop a coherent manageable system strategy in the midst of constant upgrades, but I'll save that for another thread. Let's just say that the DP*M's are enough for me to use for a number of years. I'm sure they could make huge advances in the body and software, but for the kind of shooting I'm doing with them, those changes are mostly irrelevant. The quality of the image size factor ratio is what hooks me.

I have to play with the DP3M in my hands to see the size and how/if it works on my backpack belt. I hope it can pair with the DP1M for my outback kit. Then I will think about whether or not I really want to keep the DP2M.

Bingo! Plus they appear to have broader tonal transition than the M9.

After these experiments, I recently changed my c2 setting to
- contrast minus 4
- saturation minus 2
- auto iso to 3200
- BW raw only

I plan to,play around w/ this for a while and c how I like the images...

Gary

After these experiments, I recently changed my c2 setting to
- contrast minus 4
- saturation minus 2
- auto iso to 3200
- BW raw only

I plan to,play around w/ this for a while and c how I like the images...

Gary

Please get back to us with your experience, Gary!

Back