The Sigma Foveon M : Please Share your Monochrom Images

noimmunity

scratch my niche
Local time
9:54 PM
I was waiting for Gary to start this thread, but somebody has to do it! Monochrome conversions from the DP2M are incredible. I just don't think I've seen anything like it in terms of the grain and the tonality. The grain looks much less random to me, much more intrinsic to the image.

I'm sorry, I'm no pro, but the images speak for themselves.

Best bread this side of the Rhône by areality4all, on Flickr

真的是「百看不如一品」!

For the sake of comparison, here is a color rendition:

Color version of best bread by areality4all, on Flickr

I was waiting for Gary to start this thread, but somebody has to do it! Monochrome conversions from the DP2M are incredible.
Not the type of thread I would normally start. :rolleyes: thanks for starting.

Yes the b/w conversions from this camera are really good. :D

Cheers
Gary

One of te bad for the DP Merrill series is that u cannot be in b&w mode when using raw+jpg. Other cameras like Fuji xp1 have no problem w/ this.

Anyway here are a couple from today. Camera was set or raw+jpg. Converted to b&w from the color ooc jpgs. Processed using aperture. Getting late so did not go thru the raw to tiff conversion, just used the ooc jpgs instead.

Gary

8134044285_b2ee6246dd_b.jpg

8134043859_a0b7838e10_b.jpg

The grain looks much less random to me, much more intrinsic to the image.

Did you mean more random? Not a sensor expert but, to me, it makes sense that the "grain" or noise pattern looks better with these cameras given the arrangement of the three color sensors per photosite as opposed to some artificial pattern of one color sensor per photosite that needs to be demosaiced. I think it is these artificial patterns and maybe the demosaicing process that result in less than pleasing/non-random noise patterns in typical Bayer sensors.

EDIT: Great photos :)

I love the second one...what are those? Hot water dispensers?

They are olive oil dispensers. The women is sampling a bit before deciding which to buy. There are empty bottles on the side some place that the customer can fill.

Thanks
Gary

Thanks, Gary, that's my favorite bridge over the Saône. I'm heading off to Auvergne for a week with the DP2 Merrill and a quiver of batteries. Hope to get some nice landscapes there!

" One of te bad for the DP Merrill series is that u cannot be in b&w mode when using raw+jpg. Other cameras like Fuji xp1 have no problem w/ this. "
... and even a 7 year old RD1s can do this too. (just sayin')

(just sayin')

Yeah, it is pretty lame. There are several things about the camera that are lame by current standards.

In fact, the whole point about this camera is that it breaks the rules with regards to standards. The images from this one body/lens combo can, in certain types of situations (which admittedly occupy a hugely important place in my photography) surpass or equal other combinations whose weight/price/size is exponentially higher than the DP2M.

I really think Sigma deserves credit for making this image quality available in this form factor at this price point. Incredible, actually.

Back