Sigma DP2 Merrill color photos, please!

For focus- the term "Spatial Gradient" just popped into my mind... Had not thought about it in decades.

We were doing image processing for automatic object recognition. My wife adapted some of the algorithms for Medical applications.

She had a 1MPixel microscope camera some 30+ years ago. I wrote the code for her. I've run some of my old benchmark codes from the 1980s on newer machines. They run faster. I had code that took one solid month to run on a Vax 11/780 generating fractal based imagery.

For focus- the term "Spatial Gradient" just popped into my mind... Had not thought about it in decades.

We were doing image processing for automatic object recognition. My wife adapted some of the algorithms for Medical applications.

She had a 1MPixel microscope camera some 30+ years ago. I wrote the code for her. I've run some of my old benchmark codes from the 1980s on newer machines. They run faster. I had code that took one solid month to run on a Vax 11/780 generating fractal based imagery.
Wow, I used a variant of this segmentation technique, in part, to develop our automated parasite counting system for fish farmers. I never put it together that it was the RFF Brian Sweeney. Awesome. Thank you and Nina.

Last edited:
Another working day is over

43 years ago, Shalom started his work at the "Dan" bus company. As mentioned, "Dan" is one of the largest public transportation companies in Israel, which provides service in central Tel Aviv and the surrounding cities. Without Shalom, whose responsibility is to carry out the necessary repairs, the company bus drivers, will not be able to do their job, and provide the required service to the users of public transport in Tel Aviv and its surroundings. After 43 years of work, Shalom is no longer as young as he was when he joined the company at the age of 22. But Shalom's spirit is strong, and he intends to continue coming to work even after his imminent retirement.

Sigma DP2 Merrill

_SDI0883 S3 by Jeri Leibovits, on Flickr

Yes, I see "gradient" a lot when reading about the subject at hand.

As to VAXs my team selected a PDP-11/32 (?) to control ground-based gas turbines made by the then Ruston Gas Turbines Ltd in Lincoln, England.

Another working day is over

43 years ago, Shalom started his work at the "Dan" bus company. As mentioned, "Dan" is one of the largest public transportation companies in Israel, which provides service in central Tel Aviv and the surrounding cities. Without Shalom, whose responsibility is to carry out the necessary repairs, the company bus drivers, will not be able to do their job, and provide the required service to the users of public transport in Tel Aviv and its surroundings. After 43 years of work, Shalom is no longer as young as he was when he joined the company at the age of 22. But Shalom's spirit is strong, and he intends to continue coming to work even after his imminent retirement.

Sigma DP2 Merrill

_SDI0883 S3 by Jeri Leibovits, on Flickr

Terrific photo! :)

Yes, I see "gradient" a lot when reading about the subject at hand.

As to VAXs my team selected a PDP-11/32 (?) to control ground-based gas turbines made by the then Ruston Gas Turbines Ltd in Lincoln, England.
Probably the PDP 11/23: one of the first PDP 11 series implemented on a couple of chips. with full floating point in hardware.

Some of my friends bought one ~1982 to set up a consulting side business.

Probably the PDP 11/23: one of the first PDP 11 series implemented on a couple of chips. with full floating point in hardware.

Some of my friends bought one ~1982 to set up a consulting side business.
yep, that was it now I've been reminded - ta!

Here's an old tractor a la DP2 Merrill. It disappeared a few weeks later ...

tractor.jpg

I miss the camera, it was preety sharp ...

Tech note: original frame cropped:

a) to provide space at camera right for direction of motion.

b) to place the object's centroid of area at the Golden Mean horizontally and vertically, carefully avoiding the "thirds rule" ...

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 4820133

b) to place the object's centroid of area at the Golden Mean horizontally and vertically, carefully avoiding the "thirds rule" ...
I miss it too and just from looking at the Pictures!

Thought about what a great Microscope camera this would have made- all the colors from the same location, would have added color processing to the object recognition. "In the Day", we did spectral and spatial processing for object recognition, using two colors taken from two different but registered detectors. The 1980s for me.

View attachment 4820133

I've often thought that this thread's title should be changed to DP 1/2/3 Merrills and let each poster identify which camera was used. I always wish we had more DP1 images in this group ...I very seldom see anything from that camera. As for your pic, this is what the little Merrills excel at ... amazing sharpness that doesn't make your eyes bleed! 🙂

Here's a test of the DP2M extended 6400 ISO, found today on my HD while I was looking for something else:

DP2M-6400vs100.jpg

The histograms are of the X3F raw data and are in log-log format.

The RGB images are exported from RawDigger - no SPP involved; so, ignore the orange/yellow color cast!

Last edited by a moderator:
Blocked Street (no SPP)

SDIM7824-RGB.jpg

The green vignette comes from the close distance of the DP2 Merrill lens from the Foveon F20 sensor. SPP corrects this effect automatically but this image is an as-is RGB export from RawDigger which has no such tricks up it's sleeve! What you see here is what the sensor got.

Sigma uses a dichroic UV/IR blocking filter over the sensor ... such sensors are sensitive to incident ray angle. I once tried a B+W 486 on my SD14 and got the same thing at 17mm focal length with my 17-50 zoom.

Elephant in the Room
Sigma DP2 Merrill

_SDI0959 S4 by Jeri Leibovits, on Flickr

Nicely seen!

Taking the "elephant" to be the mass of denser vegetation in the middle with an upward-curled "trunk" towards camera left ...

... perhaps crop 1/8 of the frame from the left side to remove those lamps - which are drawing my eye to top left.

Blocked Street (no SPP)

Sigma uses a dichroic UV/IR blocking filter over the sensor ... such sensors are sensitive to incident ray angle.

Oops ... such filters are sensitive to incident ray angle

Nicely seen!

Taking the "elephant" to be the mass of denser vegetation in the middle with an upward-curled "trunk" towards camera left ...

... perhaps crop 1/8 of the frame from the left side to remove those lamps - which are drawing my eye to top left.
Thank you for your response. Indeed I understand your opinion, and your proposal regarding the proposed cutting of the frame. But if I do as you say, then I will remain in a situation where the balance that exists between the 'electric elephant' and the metal bridge on the right is violated, and the same for the other lighting items, that are an integral part of the image. And if I do so, maybe the lighting setup won't bother you anymore. but at the same time, there is a chance that the balance between nature and urban life in the pic will be broken.

Back