RETO Ultra Wide & Slim

As a primary camera, I agree that the RETO's limitations can be frustrating. The Nikkormat FTn is a solid improvement over the RETO, which by comparison is slim on features (all puns intended). Your daughter's moving on up! 😁

RETO Ultra Wide & Slim, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2023.04.10 Roll #328-07941-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr
It’s definitely capable for what it is. That’s a nice photo.

My UWS arrived today. Did a minor CLA to address a squeaky rewind crank that I felt needed too strong a tug to raise. Loaded it with Lomo 800 CN film and got out just in time to catch the last of the evening's direct sunlight. Wow is this camera ever lightweight, even by plastic camera standards.

It’s definitely capable for what it is. That’s a nice photo.
Thank you! My first Nikon SLR was a Nikomat FTn, hope your daughter's enjoying it more than the RETO.
My UWS arrived today. Did a minor CLA to address a squeaky rewind crank that I felt needed too strong a tug to raise. Loaded it with Lomo 800 CN film and got out just in time to catch the last of the evening's direct sunlight. Wow is this camera ever lightweight, even by plastic camera standards.
What do you expect for $17 including shipping? That roll of Lomo 800 probably cost more than the camera itself! 😝 All joking aside, hope you get some good results. Would love to see how this camera performs with Lomo 800.

It's such a simple camera, like a Kodak Brownie from the 1950's. I would expect it to last decades. Is it that poorly made?
Brownies are much better constructed. The rewind mechanism on the Reto is pretty flimsy, that's where my kid's one failed.

It's best to avoid 36 exposure rolls as it puts additional strain on the rewind mechanism. Even 24 exposure rolls had me worried but never had one fail. 12 would be even better, hard as they are to find these days.

I would love to see the UW&S lens put in a m4/3 (or other mirrorless) mount. All plastic, $25 or $30 - I bet they would sell.

I polished the rewind crank plastic surfaces which rub against one another, with a graphite pencil - the graphite reduced friction nicely. Didn't notice anything alarming when shooting or rewinding a 36-exposure roll of film, but I used a light touch throughout. Hope to share some scanned images in coming days. Until then, it's on to the Ilford Sprite II, which I purchased at the same time as UWS.

I would love to see the UW&S lens put in a m4/3 (or other mirrorless) mount. All plastic, $25 or $30 - I bet they would sell.
@zane0777, the next closest thing I've seen is the Gizmon Wtulens:

They repurpose two lenses from disposable Quicksnap cameras and arrange them symmetrically in what looks like a plastic 3D printed lens barrel. The result is a 17mm f/16 lens, available in a variety of different mounts including m4/3. But I digress...

RETO Ultra Wide & Slim, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2023.04.10 Roll #328-07934-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

@zane0777, the next closest thing I've seen is the Gizmon Wtulens:

They repurpose two lenses from disposable Quicksnap cameras and arrange them symmetrically in what looks like a plastic 3D printed lens barrel. The result is a 17mm f/16 lens, available in a variety of different mounts including m4/3. But I digress...
That's interesting, thank you. I don't shoot film any more, but I liked the UW&S so much I bought the first-generation Pentax 15mm lens for APS-C. Once in a while it's fun to see the world through really wide eyes.

Back