Pennsylvania May NYC Meet-UP/May Philly Megabus Trip

Bought my ticket. Same times. Seat #15

Pro-Mone,

Cool.

On one Philly trip we ran into a guy who we recognized from the morning trip to Philly from NYC trying to get back to NYC. He did not have reserve seating and three buses left without him. He was not happy.

The bus ride there is mighty quick: two hours and 10 minutes.

Philly has its own vibe, and the street art is its own flavor. There are some places that resemble the abandoned blocks of row houses seen in the HBO series "The Wire." I hope to wander into these areas, rather than play tourist.

On the way home we get dropped off by FIT.

Cal

Pro-Mone,

Cool.

On one Philly trip we ran into a guy who we recognized from the morning trip to Philly from NYC trying to get back to NYC. He did not have reserve seating and three buses left without him. He was not happy.

The bus ride there is mighty quick: two hours and 10 minutes.

Philly has its own vibe, and the street art is its own flavor. There are some places that resemble the abandoned blocks of row houses seen in the HBO series "The Wire." I hope to wander into these areas, rather than play tourist.

On the way home we get dropped off by FIT.

Cal

Awesome Cal. Looking forward to it. Pity John's in Chile. Would have been nice if he was around for this too

Awesome Cal. Looking forward to it. Pity John's in Chile. Would have been nice if he was around for this too

Pro-Mone,

John and I had a great time in Philly last time.

Getting out of NYC is refreshing, Philly is really close by, and the Megabus makes it easy and cheap to get there.

Cal

Where does this bus leave you in Philadelphia? 30th.?
Im considering going, but having to go into NYC that early to go back out my way, maybe I can find a different way in..

Fidel, the bus makes 2 stops in Philly: the Liberty bell area and 30th street (behind the train station). I also drive in from NJ, and found street parking on 8th avenue the last 2 times.

Where does this bus leave you in Philadelphia? 30th.?
Im considering going, but having to go into NYC that early to go back out my way, maybe I can find a different way in..

Fidel,

We get off at the last stop: 30th Street. 30th Street is right by a major train station. We could hook up there.

In Philly it is a rare occasion that I carry a cell phone. Should be easy to hook up in Philly if a New Jersey transit train is good for you.

Expect to explore north and west Philly. These were the areas we were told to avoid. LOL.

Cal

If you don't mind spending a little more, you could buy the round trip from NYC Penn Station or Newark from a New Jersey Transit kiosk. The train will put you in Philly at 30th st, Suburban (18th St.) or Market East (11th St.) stations. NJ Transit has a reciprocity with SEPTA on the NE Corridor line. It's how I've gotten to and from NYC or JC for years when I got sick of Bolt bus and Greyhound. The tickets for the train are open ended and can be used whenever up to 180 days later. I love this flexibility in not having to cut a visit short. It's significantly more expensive than a bus ticket but half the price of Amtrak. To me, the expense is worth the flexibility.

Phil Forrest

Fidel,

We get off at the last stop: 30th Street. 30th Street is right by a major train station. We could hook up there.

In Philly it is a rare occasion that I carry a cell phone. Should be easy to hook up in Philly if a New Jersey transit train is good for you.

Expect to explore north and west Philly. These were the areas we were told to avoid. LOL.

Cal

You have a cell phone!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have been practicing my smoke signals to communicate with Cal. Should be good..
Sort of remember morse code, but might be to much of modern communication for Cal... :)

I've missed the last few meetups due to work and health issues, but with complete optimism, I've bought the tickets for the bus! Looking forward to seeing everyone :)

You have a cell phone!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Pro-Mone,

I believe the planet would be a better place to live without cell phones.

My gal pays for my cell phone BTW.

For many years, back in the day I did not have even a land line, and I told my friends if they wanted to call me-call me at work.

A while back Verizon had this cell phone called a "Me-Go" that was basically for children. It allowed calling 911, and two other numbers, so it could be set up as leash with mom's and dad's cell phone numbers.

I told my friend Steve who was considering getting a "Me-Go" for one of his kids that he should buy one for me because it would be perfect for me because I don't have many friends. LOL.

As everyone knows: DON'T Text Me. I don't know how to respond so I just ignore them.

Nothing wrong with antisocial behavior. LOL.

Kinda funny how a few years back I went out to Long Island to visit friends that I rudely learned that they did away with pay phones. A guy in a deli lent me his cell phone to call a friend to pick me up.

Also I force Maggie to set up her I-phone for all the cell phone pictures that I take of her.

You know me: part of my branding is to annoy people. LOL.

So one morning I'm surfing the Internet at work, and my boss comes in. "Check your e-mail," he says rather than tell me an important message. Would of been easier to just talk to me and tell me what was so urgent. It was just like in the TV commercial where a guy and gal are in a resturant booth and the girl texted a break-up rather than speak to her boyfriend sitting right across from her.

BTW I don't like microwaving my brain.

Cal

I've missed the last few meetups due to work and health issues, but with complete optimism, I've bought the tickets for the bus! Looking forward to seeing everyone :)

Raj,

We will be hooking up with Ben who is a Philly local. The bus ride there goes quick (2 hours 10 minutes), and Philly has its own flavor. Know that Philly has great food and you don't get gouged like in NYC.

Cost of living is about 1/3rd less than NYC, but there are less jobs...

There is talk of doing an overnighter in Boston. Perhaps later in the summer.

Cal

BTW for a possible Boston trip I had a trip with Maggie where we stayed in the "Back Bay" neighborhood that happened to be centrally located and not far from where the Amtrack station. Easy walking distance.

The hotel was not too costly.

Cal

BTW for a possible Boston trip I had a trip with Maggie where we stayed in the "Back Bay" neighborhood that happened to be centrally located and not far from where the Amtrack station. Easy walking distance.

The hotel was not too costly.

Cal

Might be interesting to do an overnighter. I've been to boston several times though and thought it was a little boring as cities go. idk. Maybe i've been spoiled by this place

Pro-Mone,

I believe the planet would be a better place to live without cell phones.

My gal pays for my cell phone BTW.

For many years, back in the day I did not have even a land line, and I told my friends if they wanted to call me-call me at work.

A while back Verizon had this cell phone called a "Me-Go" that was basically for children. It allowed calling 911, and two other numbers, so it could be set up as leash with mom's and dad's cell phone numbers.

I told my friend Steve who was considering getting a "Me-Go" for one of his kids that he should buy one for me because it would be perfect for me because I don't have many friends. LOL.

As everyone knows: DON'T Text Me. I don't know how to respond so I just ignore them.

Nothing wrong with antisocial behavior. LOL.

Kinda funny how a few years back I went out to Long Island to visit friends that I rudely learned that they did away with pay phones. A guy in a deli lent me his cell phone to call a friend to pick me up.

Also I force Maggie to set up her I-phone for all the cell phone pictures that I take of her.

You know me: part of my branding is to annoy people. LOL.

So one morning I'm surfing the Internet at work, and my boss comes in. "Check your e-mail," he says rather than tell me an important message. Would of been easier to just talk to me and tell me what was so urgent. It was just like in the TV commercial where a guy and gal are in a resturant booth and the girl texted a break-up rather than speak to her boyfriend sitting right across from her.

BTW I don't like microwaving my brain.

Cal

Lol yeah. Don't text Cal. Remember you checked the one I sent you a year afterward (or later). Lol

Lol yeah. Don't text Cal. Remember you checked the one I sent you a year afterward (or later). Lol

Pro-Mone,

Only fools text me. LOL.

One can waste their whole life texting and talking on a cell phone. Understand that the only time I waste on the Internet is at work. LOL.

Also one way criminals target their marks is when people either have their hands full or when they are preoccupied. Texting and using your cell phone in public is kinda asking for bad things to happen. Also a cell phone is not a good weapon.

Cal

Another holiday is coming up: Mother's Day on the 14th.

Which is better: Sunday May 21st; or Sunday May 28th?

Cal

Wouldn't looking through your cameras viewfinder do the same?

Absolutely. I have a lot of experience with this. It's easy to talk on a cell phone and keep your head on a swivel. It's much harder to do so with a camera. Cameras are also targets of thieves, far more attractive than cell phones. Here in Philly, you have to watch out for crazy drivers. Sometimes I think the drivers here are worse than in Bahrain; two honks and you can get hit. Really, anything can and will cause one to let your guard down. Don't be holding that camera to your eye while crossing an intersection in NYC. Someone might be making a left turn and neither party would see the other...

Phil Forrest

Back