Lomography LC-A 120

This is actually a pretty good camera. Full auto exposure, 6x6 frame size, light, easy to carry, simple build but robust.

Yeah, the lens is wide. Yep, it vignettes. Of course there are certainly better cameras available. None of which means that this one is not a good option.

Whether or not it is worth the price is up to the purchaser. As for the camera, it can certainly deliver the goods if you do your part.

Lomography introduces film to people who otherwise would only consider digital.

I hear this presumtion all the time, but never met anyone who's first contact with film was trough the Lomo (the one we talk here, I don't mean the russian optical plant).

Regarding this camera for type 120 film, it is worse (fewer settings) than a boxcamera of which I can get a truckload for the price.

Have you ever tried a wide lens missfocused in medium format? Do you believe that just because its lens is wider it will work the same way as wide lenses in 35mm?

DOF is a function only of the focal lenght (and the distance to the object), so it has nothing to do with the film/sensor format.

Well, I have the 35mm f/3.5 Sekor on my Mamiya 645 and it is not hard to focus as you say. When I do focus incorrectly in close ranges it is quite obvious even at f/8.

Still nothing to do with the film format.
We usually use longer focals (e.g. 50 mm vs. 80 mm standard lens) on MF than on 135, possible its therefore you think DOF is shallower on MF.

The point is that there are quite many of a way higher quality than that of the LC-A 120.

Completly agree.
I know no product sold by Lomo that you could not get elsewhere cheaper, in better quality and even handier (I mention this one so nobody comes with the argument of simplicity) or if you are for the crap effect that too can be had cheaper.

What I think is dangerous is that more and more companies arise in the photographic market following the same recipy of selling heavily advertised crap for high prices.
Would FP3000B still be produced if people have bought it instead of the impossible films at double the price and a quarter of the quality?
I'm tired of reading how these new offers save film. I think they push quality products out of the market and in the end we will remain with crap worse than what Niepce cooked in his kitchen.

I am amazed of how much some are willing to pay for something of low quality just because of being super wide. It could be of course that I am wrong and $500 are too much for this just for me.

Get a box camera and any optician will mount you an eyeglass lens of the focal you desire.

I know no product sold by Lomo that you could not get elsewhere cheaper, in better quality and even handier (I mention this one so nobody comes with the argument of simplicity) or if you are for the crap effect that too can be had cheaper.

I'm interested to know of another 6x6 ultra wide angle medium format camera with a built-in light meter. Can you please post a link to it?

Thanks

I'm interested to know of another 6x6 ultra wide angle medium format camera with a built-in light meter. Can you please post a link to it?

Thanks

Not just that, but auto exposure. And compact!

Some bag on it not realizing there are no comparable options.

I wish this thread had new pics posted to it...

I just reloaded mine a few days ago so I will have some new pics at some point. Probably shoot some at the horse farm tomorrow.

DOF is a function only of the focal lenght (and the distance to the object), so it has nothing to do with the film/sensor format.

Of course it does, because the CoC also plays a role and that parameter is connected to the film/sensor format.

I'm a bit in both camps about this one. It vignettes too much for my liking and for that price I'd liked a bit better (less plastic) construction). On the other hand a small ultra wide 6x6... I do have alternatives, but taking these out is a deliberate choice, not taken lightly considering size, weight (and sometimes cost).

Back