Lomography LC-A 120

It's not really fair to expect a new camera to compete with used cameras on price.

I haven't used my LC-A in at least a year. Took it off the shelf and of course the shutter is stuck. :bang:

i imagine you can get prints that look pretty much the same with your cameraphone. no film necessary, and so much better for social networking.

Thank you jsrockit

The lens design is supposedly a 5 Elements in 4 group design like a Hologon if this is the case it would explain the vignetting as good as the Hologon design is it usually vignettes heavily to counter that one usually uses a center filter. Also Hologon are usually slower lenses f8 thereabouts. So stopping or shooting in bright light should improve the quality and let's not forget to use a center filter. :)

Dare you compare a GF670 to that Lomography crap? In any way, quality wise, size wise, functionality wise, durability, take a pick!
It has a build in light meter, far more accurate than the one LCA 120 has.
It does not need a back.
It has a lens of far better quality (and character)
It is not a zone focus one. Have you ever tried zone focusing in 35mm? How many times have you failed focusing properly? What makes you thing that zone focusing in the shallowness of the medium format would be cool?
Have in mind that missing a frame or two in 35mm is not big deal, but in 120 missing one means a lot.
You're must be kidding, or know nothing of what else one can buy for $430 or even less.

I did not mention the GF670. I also agree with all your points. The GF670 is also just over 4x the price of the LC-A new, which makes sense, since the GF670 is a better camera.

You can get a GF670 for ~$1000 on ebay, but I expect you'll be able to get LC-A for ~$250 on ebay in a few months, so the comparison stands.

Personally, I think the GF670W is a better comparison (as it's closer to the 38mm focal length), but it's more expensive and less compact, so I suppose it's even further.

The Lomo LC-A is a sweet camera and able to make great pictures. It would be a piece of junk were it not made of plastic, but it's still a great tool.

Now, I haven't tried this one; I have the LC-A+ (and three russian LC-A) and it's well built -Lomo standards, that is-. Now I'm curious.

Juan

The more I look at this, the more I think it could be fun to have a simple 6x6 camera with a 21mm equiv lens...

It's not really fair to expect a new camera to compete with used cameras on price.

I haven't used my LC-A in at least a year. Took it off the shelf and of course the shutter is stuck. :bang:

I have a CCCP LC-A whose shutter sticks when not used for a while. I GENTLY work the blades open with a fine flat head screwdriver several times and the shutter will work again as long as the camera is fired a few times a day. After its put up again for a while same thing.

I expect the shutter to just die at some point though. I do like the look of the photos the LC-A takes so I live with this. Every one of these I've owned and that a friend of mine has owned has eventually died.

Same here:bang:
I have a CCCP LC-A whose shutter sticks when not used for a while. I GENTLY work the blades open with a fine flat head screwdriver several times and the shutter will work again as long as the camera is fired a few times a day. After its put up again for a while same thing.

I expect the shutter to just die at some point though. I do like the look of the photos the LC-A takes so I live with this. Every one of these I've owned and that a friend of mine has owned has eventually died.

anyone preordered and got theirs? I heard they were gonna start shipping out last week

A friend of mine got one some weeks ago (direct order from the Lomography online shop).
He was very disappointed. Bad build quality, horrible viewfinder.
He said the camera is absolutely overpriced.
He sent it back.
And he said that for a price of about 100€ it would be a fair deal, but not at the current price.

Reviving this thread seeing some of us have now used this camera.

Anyone apart from Colton and me having actual experience with it?

Reviving this thread seeing some of us have now used this camera.

Anyone apart from Colton and me having actual experience with it?

Yes. And I am learning to love it. Here is my first review: http://rangefinderchronicles.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/the-lomo-lc-120-first-review.html

and a few pics: -

3 by Nick De Marco, on Flickr

6 by Nick De Marco, on Flickr

8 by Nick De Marco, on Flickr

13 by Nick De Marco, on Flickr

Since taking these photos, and making the review on my blog, I have picked up and started scanning negatives form my recent trip to Amsterdam. Very happy with some of the negatives - in fact blown away by the quality of some. Had some problems with film advance that's making scanning (due to uneven space between the negatives) far more annoying than usual - but I still love the camera. Will take it to Italy for new year....

I think it's hilarious that anyone would pay 400 dollars for a plastic camera. Buy a used one for 30 bucks and have the left over money to buy 100 rolls of film. Can anyone speak to the build quality of the old vs new? Is there any benefit to buying a new one?

I think it's hilarious that anyone would pay 400 dollars for a plastic camera.

Well, it is a 21MM 6x6 camera... not many around.

Buy a used one for 30 bucks and have the left over money to buy 100 rolls of film.

Where can you buy this camera for $30?

Can anyone speak to the build quality of the old vs new? Is there any benefit to buying a new one?

What old one?

I'm talking about lc-a with a normal-wide lens, 35mm. Buy a holga if you want to shoot 6x6 with a plastic camera. You can get a rolleiflex automat for less than the price of a lomo 6x6 camera.

I will concede that a 6x6 21mm camera is pretty damn cool and right down my alley when it comes to gear I want. Still, the durability of lomo cameras is something I'm wary of.

I looked into this camera a little more and I've reconsidered my opinion. I didn't realize that the fl was 38mm for 6x6, so in 35mm terms that's a pretty sweet 21mm. I definitely wouldn't mind having this camera if one came along at a decent price

Back