Horrifying prospect for any digital M8 8.2 owner!!!

Epson's repair facility in Japan can still repair every single part, including the LCD on the R-D1, which was introduced several years before the M8.

The M8 was a dog anyway, I would hazard a guess that most people who could have afforded the camera have or will shortly upgrade to M9/M10 or a different system.

Regardless I don't doubt that some ingenious repair guy will fill in the need for this repair, should it become an issue. I've never had an LCD fail on a digicam of mine & the family's though, so I don't really think it's a huge issue. And I'm talking POS stuff from like 04-05. LCD's seem to be pretty reliable long as you don't drop them.

Are you sure they use the same LCD for M9/M10 as the M8 though? Because if so it won't even be a problem, as most repair guys can just source the part if they're all the same and whack it in your M8. Sure it might be expensive but it's still fixable.

Funny thing: My M8 shutter went after 80,000 exposures

Funny thing: My M8 shutter went after 80,000 exposures

I just wanted to say my M8 shutter went after 80,000 exposures. So i guess I am one of those guys who burns things out at around 100,000. I am proud of that! I still want to get my cameras fixed though!

On the other hand, a tractor is capable of more than just shoveling whereas a digital camera also just takes pictures...

Comparing the mechanics of a film camera to a digital camera is like comparing a shovel to a tractor.

If Leica did offer a life-time of service for M8 then it should honor it, otherwise a major breach of trust.

M8 dog is barking and everyone can hear it thank God!

M8 dog is barking and everyone can hear it thank God!

Well my M8 "DOG" is barking loudly and producing images that people stare and wonder at when on exhibition. i like dogs, both my M8's and my 3 Chihuahuas!

The M8 was a dog anyway, I would hazard a guess that most people who could have afforded the camera have or will shortly upgrade to M9/M10 or a different system.

More pity for Joe Average yearning for a just-barely-out-of-reach Leica then. The ones who have to skip a couple of mortgage payments to get what they thought was a screaming hot deal for a 1/2 off used M8. They're gonna be SOL when the camera eventually needs repairs.

IF this is true, how many years left to support the M9?

LCDs must be in very short supply. Maybe the manufacturer filled a certain contract and it is not economical for them to do another run.

Who knows what will happen with the "Kodak" sensor fab?

After the M10 comes out, the M9 will the forgotten stepchild.

Regardless I don't doubt that some ingenious repair guy will fill in the need for this repair, should it become an issue. I've never had an LCD fail on a digicam of mine & the family's though, so I don't really think it's a huge issue. And I'm talking POS stuff from like 04-05. LCD's seem to be pretty reliable long as you don't drop them.

Are you sure they use the same LCD for M9/M10 as the M8 though? Because if so it won't even be a problem, as most repair guys can just source the part if they're all the same and whack it in your M8. Sure it might be expensive but it's still fixable.

Damn, you have just alienated an awful lot of RFF members on this board with a statement like that...;) Your opinion is your own, not anymore right than anyone else's but like arseholes, sometimes it is just plain rude to let them be heard.

In general, folks, if you cannot pay to play, why bash Leica or any of its products? Unhappy with your life/income? Don't be. No need for that.:angel:

Enjoy life and let others enjoy theirs. Life is too short and a hell of a lot shorter than you think, so please stop the rudeness and arrogance of your own opinions as we are all different. Respect others, please.

In general, folks, if you cannot pay to play, why bash Leica or any of its products? Unhappy with your life/income? Don't be. No need for that.:angel:

Enjoy life and let others enjoy theirs. Life is too short and a hell of a lot shorter than you think, so please stop the rudeness and arrogance of your own opinions as we are all different. Respect others, please.

You're not very sharp, are you?

Pay to Play?????

Pay to Play?????

I paid, but I bought M lenses used since 1990. That is the only way I could afford it. I can play but just because it is M mount why should playing be so expensive in the world of the Nikon D800? I own 2 Mercedes Benz cars, a 06 E320 CDI and a R320 CDI. I bought both used. I paid less than half for each car. I take them to an independent garage and they are cost effective (and get 40mpg, 2 tanks of gat from Allentown PA to West Palm Beach FLA).

The point here is we all play at different spending levels. If you want to spend 10K on an M10 and 100K on a new Benz, fine, blow your cash. For me, I play for less than half price for ANYTHING!

Comparing the mechanics of a film camera to a digital camera is like comparing a shovel to a tractor. ..

Not quite. More like compareing a shovel to the Star Ship Enterprise, or at least a shuttlecraft. ;-)

There's nothing in a Leica M film camera that would be mysterious to a person born in the Age of Steam. The Leica M9 incorporates technology which, to that perspective, is simply magic: it's beyond easy comprehension.

Comparing the mechanics of a film camera to a digital camera is like comparing a shovel to a tractor.

If Leica did offer a life-time of service for M8 then it should honor it, otherwise a major breach of trust.

Hey, I can still get parts for my 1940 Ford 9N. Though Ford doesn-t make them.

It must be the phase of the moon or something. This thread is in danger of being the third one in 24 hours that's gone off the rails and requires Mr Moderator w/ Power Cosmic to use his Hammer of Dawn.

In general, folks, if you cannot pay to play, why bash Leica or any of its products? Unhappy with your life/income?

Actually, that is what I start to think.
A Leica is not for those people who can afford one, but only for those who can afford to buy another one when the first one breaks etc...

That's a shame.

It used to be different. When the grandma (!) of a friend of mine bought her Leica M3 she knew that it would be a pruchase-for-lifetime. It still works.

I can accept that a proper function of an M8/9 cannot be gueranteed for 4 decades but Leitz should be able to replace a display at least for 10 or 12 years. 6 years? Let's be honest. That's really lame.

He's a good deal sharper than some people on this forum, with a lot more experience of life's twists and turns. Or am I misreading your post?

Cheers,

R.

In that case maybe he was being sarcastic and funny, and I misread his post.

otherwise one cannot say to people shut up if you have no money to play with Leica and on the second paragraph preach about avoiding arrogance and rudeness.

btw, this thread is not about film or digital or your bank account, its about a company honoring its promise - and we still don't know for a fact if the topic of this thread is factual.

I paid, but I bought M lenses used since 1990. That is the only way I could afford it. I can play but just because it is M mount why should playing be so expensive in the world of the Nikon D800? I own 2 Mercedes Benz cars, a 06 E320 CDI and a R320 CDI. I bought both used. I paid less than half for each car. I take them to an independent garage and they are cost effective (and get 40mpg, 2 tanks of gat from Allentown PA to West Palm Beach FLA).

The point here is we all play at different spending levels. If you want to spend 10K on an M10 and 100K on a new Benz, fine, blow your cash. For me, I play for less than half price for ANYTHING!

And that is fine. That is what it is all about.

No one needs a Leica. A Mercedes Benz. A BMW. etc. These are "want" items that if you want them , you pay for them. But for someone to disrespect others for buying what they want is a form of arrogance that is plain rude.

Personally, I gave up Toyotas 7 years ago after owning them continuously since 1971. We buy what we want now and have done so forever, but we are not rude to others for buying what they want.

Again, one can voice one's opinion without offending others.:angel:

Back