Horrifying prospect for any digital M8 8.2 owner!!!

eleskin

Well-known
Local time
7:46 AM
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/252127-lifetime-service-not.html

Check out the aboove thread from Leica Users Forum. It states that Leica will no longer fix the LCD screen for the M8. This means that if your screen ever dies on you, so does your M8 forever! There are various opinions why Leica decided to do this. Some state they need the limited supply they have left to repair M9's and MM's still under warranty. This is really too bad for a company that always prided itself on always being able to service any of its products at any time. Mercedes Benz will honor this. You can get a cheap Nikon digital that is older than an M8 fixed with no problem. The M8 was an expensive camera for many of us (me included) and we all thought the name Leica gave us reassurance that our investment would last for some time. What does this say for anyone now buying the M9 or future M10? I would hesitate at these prices! Imagine paying 8K-10K for a digital M and in 4 years you cannot get it fixed! That is what the issue of the M8 and LCD screen brings to the table and anyone who has a digital M should be outraged! I have 2 M8's and one needs a shutter repair. I guess I had better get that fixed while I can. Meanwhile, I will be looking at what Sony, Fuji, etc,, have up their sleeve. And for God sake, Zeiss and Voigtlander, get off your butts and do something about producing a digital M mount camera. Leica deserves to have their cage shaken now that they will not honor their long time commitments to buyers of M cameras. By the way, ANY M digital camera to me is not worth more than 4K if Leica has this attitude! Too bad for us all!

I still have my M6 and M4-2. Digital Module anyone?

I still have my M6 and M4-2. Digital Module anyone?

I still have my M6 and M4-2. A digital module that replaces the back makes much more sense than this insanity we digital M owners now face. It an aftermarket module was made, I would buy that rather than a new M digital!

Life expectancy of an M3 60yrs, M8 6-10yrs. You can still get repairs on the M3 to make it out live us all. The digital M will be in a landfill.

Comparing the mechanics of a film camera to a digital camera is like comparing a shovel to a tractor.

If Leica did offer a life-time of service for M8 then it should honor it, otherwise a major breach of trust.

Comparing the mechanics of a film camera to a digital camera is like comparing a shovel to a tractor.

If Leica did offer a life-time of service for M8 then it should honor it, otherwise a major breach of trust.

Well, Leica has to sell the M10 remember? They are too busy lurking with M8 displays :)

Regards,

Boris

I am sharing the same thoughts. Life time guarantee on the REAL Leicas only.

Regards,

Boris

Not to mention my M3 and your M2 do not need batteries. :p

Wonder how long digital batteries will be available.... or memory cards...or cables...

In regard to MB, as a decades MB owner, I can tell you that even they are not honoring roadside service (gas,batteries, spare tire installation) for older MBs, just newer ones continually seviced at the dealer.:mad: To their credit, though, the MB Classic center maintains a huge inventory on classic parts for all MB vehicles up to and including the 124 model which ended in 1995 with the newer 1996 models.

Maybe Leica could do something similar with classic cameras. I doubt it though as the current digital age is hell-bent to produce more future landfill material without the lifelong commitment of manufacturers, or buyers for that matter.

Try getting an iPad, iphone, ipod or other tablet fixed in 5-10 years. ;) They will still be out there and operational, but repairs are not going to be feasible.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/252127-lifetime-service-not.html

Check out the aboove thread from Leica Users Forum. It states that Leica will no longer fix the LCD screen for the M8. This means that if your screen ever dies on you, so does your M8 forever! There are various opinions why Leica decided to do this. Some state they need the limited supply they have left to repair M9's and MM's still under warranty. This is really too bad for a company that always prided itself on always being able to service any of its products at any time. Mercedes Benz will honor this. You can get a cheap Nikon digital that is older than an M8 fixed with no problem. The M8 was an expensive camera for many of us (me included) and we all thought the name Leica gave us reassurance that our investment would last for some time. What does this say for anyone now buying the M9 or future M10? I would hesitate at these prices! Imagine paying 8K-10K for a digital M and in 4 years you cannot get it fixed! That is what the issue of the M8 and LCD screen brings to the table and anyone who has a digital M should be outraged! I have 2 M8's and one needs a shutter repair. I guess I had better get that fixed while I can. Meanwhile, I will be looking at what Sony, Fuji, etc,, have up their sleeve. And for God sake, Zeiss and Voigtlander, get off your butts and do something about producing a digital M mount camera. Leica deserves to have their cage shaken now that they will not honor their long time commitments to buyers of M cameras. By the way, ANY M digital camera to me is not worth more than 4K if Leica has this attitude! Too bad for us all!

Does anyone really think they can get an LCD screen for a D2H/D2X (a $5000 camera when new) even today, cost effectively? Those cameras now are going for $500-$800 in great condition. It is not just Leica, but Canikon and all the others.

it's a changing world...i figure if you can't afford the upkeep then just don't buy it...leica is no longer an investment for future profit making...

All of this confirms the obvious: Any new Leica M digital is worth half price!

All of this confirms the obvious: Any new Leica M digital is worth half price!

Any digital M is worth half price or less than that if you cannot service the camera in a few years. What is the point in building a body that will last as long as an M3 but cannot fix the electronics in a few years? the build quality of the Fuji X pro 1 makes much more sense here. A full frame M built like the Fuji for $3,000 makes much more sense now. Just build the body good enough for a 5 year use and charge much less. Just give me a great sensor for my M lenses. I could not care less about machined brass and hand made cameras that cannot be fixed. I cannot say this loud enough: Zeiss and Voigtlander: Get off your butts and build a digital camera!!! Let Leica sweat it out! they deserve it!

it's a changing world...i figure if you can't afford the upkeep then just don't buy it...leica is no longer an investment for future profit making...

+1...agreed...

The definition of "afford" is so subjective that I discount it totally. No one needs a Leica. If one wants one, they can buy it or not. These days, it is a fact that things are different and will not be like it was in the old days of film M body cameras. Ever.

If one wants an M9/M8/M8.2 (and I certainly do), one only has to pay for one through whatever means is necessary. If the subjective "afford" or "value" or "overpriced" dialogue enters into the decision, well, it really doesn't matter.

I just hope that current owners of these cameras will take care of the ones they have because one day, I would like to own a well-cared for M9.:angel:

Any digital M is worth half price or less than that if you cannot service the camera in a few years. What is the point in building a body that will last as long as an M3 but cannot fix the electronics in a few years? the build quality of the Fuji X pro 1 makes much more sense here. A full frame M built like the Fuji for $3,000 makes much more sense now. Just build the body good enough for a 5 year use and charge much less. Just give me a great sensor for my M lenses. I could not care less about machined brass and hand made cameras that cannot be fixed. I cannot say this loud enough: Zeiss and Voigtlander: Get off your butts and build a digital camera!!! Let Leica sweat it out! they deserve it!

And that is where I totally disagree. Leica is doing quite well and if you want another camera at a lower price, buy it. :angel:

Electronics don't last, mechanical parts do

Electronics don't last, mechanical parts do

Scarcity of certain electronic or electrical components is usually the crippler for cameras incorporating them. Look at how many cameras with built in selenium meters are now meterless, now that Metrawatt ceased production of replacement selenium cells around 2006. Luckily, Henry Scherer bought up their last production, and he replaced the cells on my Zeiss Super Ikonta BX and Contessa.

The Nikon F and F2 early photomic heads with the meter resistor being non-functional have crippled these heads. Nikon ceased making these resistors over a decade or two ago? The later F2 heads for the DP-11 and DP-12 finders (F2A, F2AS) use a new functional resistance element which is durable and lasts a lifetime. Sover Wong now has custom produced a new ceramic resistor to resurrect the older F2 finders. So, with these relatively simple electronics, it is possible to resurrect them somehow. But, their service life of full functionality was only about 40 years until somebody came up with a replacement part. Funny thing is that I can still get some parts as new old stock for my Nikon F even now, and production ceased in 1974.

If no replacement screens are available for the Leica digitals from some 3rd party source, then you really have put money into the toilet. Unless, you burn up over 100K exposures in 3-4 years and wear the thing out.

Does anyone really think they can get an LCD screen for a D2H/D2X (a $5000 camera when new) even today, cost effectively? Those cameras now are going for $500-$800 in great condition. It is not just Leica, but Canikon and all the others.

Well, it is still possible to get the connection cable for the display of my even older Nikon D1!
(Don't know about the display, though.)

One of the reasons I've been so hesitant to make a digital Leica purchase is the understanding that it is essentially a camera that could only last me a few years. The IQ and megapixles are enough to last 50 years, but the parts will only be around a few. It's not just $5k+ for an M9, its also the acceptance and understanding that eventually (for one reason or another) you will literally not be able to use it. One day I will take the plunge, just not today.

Back