Going to San Francisco on Dec 26

btw, San Francisco, being the activist city it is, will have a protest against the Gaza bombings in front of the Israeli consulate on 456 Montgomery at 5pm tomorrow (Dec 30th).

Listing of demostrations.

(I suppose just by posting this I'm being political, but let's please try to keep the debates out of this thread.)

Great to meet everyone today, as usual the people you meet through forums such as this are an interesting group. It was also nice to break out the SP... I shudder a bit thinking about whether I really blew a number of exposures, time will tell.

I will post some pictures from today tomorrow evening, if there is something worth seeing! Let's do it again soon.

Kent

That was fun! Nice to meet Kent and Steve and Bob and Francisco. It was great to see the local guys too. I wonder if we'll ever solve the mystery of what happened to the Sacto contingent (last seen around 6th and Mission). I hope they're OK.

I probably won't have pics up until next week.

You guys are a great bunch! I had a lot of fun and enjoyed walking down the streets with you. I must return to this great city! :)

It was nice meeting and hanging out with everyone today.

It's too bad the SF and Sacto contingent couldn't get along. I think all parties did the best they could, but in the end, we just have our differences. At least no fists were thrown this time. Sactoans, did you make it to 21st St.?

Francisco, let us know when you are back in town. And thanks again for scaring the crank-heads away from us with your D700 and 24-70!

Lost on Mission...

Lost on Mission...

That was fun! Nice to meet Kent and Steve and Bob and Francisco. It was great to see the local guys too. I wonder if we'll ever solve the mystery of what happened to the Sacto contingent (last seen around 6th and Mission). I hope they're OK.

I probably won't have pics up until next week.

Hey, where DID you guys go??? I stopped to reload around 6th and Mission, and then resumed walking up Mission but the SF crowd was no where to be seen. I thought I could reload an M2 pretty quickly, but apparently not quickly enough! :eek: Bob joined me, we walked up to 8th and Mission, then over to Howard (thinking you might have wanted to shoot that street), then back up to Market and over to Civic Center Plaza, but by then it was clear that we'd split up. Leave it to a couple of Sacramentans to bring their fog w/ them to bright and sunny SF. Oh well. Bob and I went back to the Embarcadero, had lunch, shot for awhile, and then hit the train home.

Next time, we'll exchange cell phone numbers. Or bring RFF-approved GPS units (M-mount, of course). Or agree on a place and time to meet for lunch.

It was great to finally meet you guys in person, and welcome Francisco to the City. Too bad we weren't able to continue conversations over lunch, but that just means we'll need to plan another outing soon. :)

And too bad Roland couldn't join us. Early January might work for me for another beer and gear meet, so long as it's on a weekend.

And apropos MikeL's comment about the Sacto and SF crowd not getting along... well, if you guys just insist on bringing crummy Leicas to shoot w/, then... well, there's really not much to talk about, is there? :rolleyes::D

I thought I could reload an M2 pretty quickly, but apparently not quickly enough! :eek:

Steve, I thought Roland would have shown you how the quick-load system works on the M2. He does a great job demonstrating how fast it is. Ask Ray next time. :D

(Missed ya today Roland :))

Steve, I thought Roland would have shown you how the quick-load system works on the M2. He does a great job demonstrating how fast it is. Ask Ray next time. :D

Well, clearly, Roland has to show up before he can demonstrate, doesn't he? :)

Roland, you were missed today more than you can ever know... ;):D

great to meet everyone (even the miscreants I already knew!) ... i still think the Sactoans dissed us local fellas with that disappearing act ;)

we must do again soon, eh? i definitely second Steve's suggestion to make sure we exchange numbers before setting out

first two rolls are drying, third roll might be a while though. i even gave the Bruce Gilden method a try on the way back toward Embarcadero with Kent and Mike: fill flash right in people's faces. Surprisingly I didn't get decked or even yelled at -- just quizzical looks. (Perhaps no one takes that little Ricoh seriously: "Oh look he's pointing a toy camera at us...")

--kevin

Last edited:
i even gave the Bruce Gilden method a try on the way back toward Embarcadero with Kent and Mike: fill flash right in people's faces.
--kevin

Dude, when you popped flash in that 8 year old girls face and she started throwin' haymakers, I was freaking out!

A couple of snapshots from the Standard with 28mm on Trix. I didn't get to the other rolls since I had to process this one with a couple rolls from my 5-year-old nieces Nutcracker performance. Ouch.

Attachments

• Img020.jpg
    Img020.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Img022.jpg
    Img022.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Img009.jpg
    Img009.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
Some more snapshots. Not sure what's up with the trees in the second.

Attachments

• Img012.jpg
    Img012.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Img023.jpg
    Img023.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Img014.jpg
    Img014.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
great to meet everyone (even the miscreants I already knew!) ... i still think the Sactoans dissed us local fellas with that disappearing act ;)

we must do again soon, eh? i definitely second Steve's suggestion to make sure we exchange numbers before setting out

first two rolls are drying, third roll might be a while though. i even gave the Bruce Gilden method a try on the way back toward Embarcadero with Kent and Mike: fill flash right in people's faces. Surprisingly I didn't get decked or even yelled at -- just quizzical looks. (Perhaps no one takes that little Ricoh seriously: "Oh look he's pointing a toy camera at us...")

--kevin

Don't sell yourself short now, you did get yelled at once during your Gilden channeling session. In addition one parent of a small child had a look like "did I see that guy on To Catch a Predator".

Next time I'd like to see you use the toy camera Gilden method in combination with some spastic Winogrand arm flailing... THAT would draw a crowd.

Maybe a RFF approved mace dispensing baseplate (with handy grip) would be a helpful accessory for the test.

Kent

bingley said:
Hey, where DID you guys go??? I stopped to reload around 6th and Mission, and then resumed walking up Mission but the SF crowd was no where to be seen. I thought I could reload an M2 pretty quickly, but apparently not quickly enough! Bob joined me, we walked up to 8th and Mission, then over to Howard (thinking you might have wanted to shoot that street), then back up to Market and over to Civic Center Plaza, but by then it was clear that we'd split up. Leave it to a couple of Sacramentans to bring their fog w/ them to bright and sunny SF. Oh well. Bob and I went back to the Embarcadero, had lunch, shot for awhile, and then hit the train home.

It's too bad you guys missed our walk up 6th street. We came back and looked for you, and walked up Mission to the Federal Building. We never thought to go down to Howard though, so you stumped us there! We strolled down Market through the 'loin-y section and had lunch at the Westfield food court.

A couple of snapshots from the Standard with 28mm on Trix. I didn't get to the other rolls since I had to process this one with a couple rolls from my 5-year-old nieces Nutcracker performance. Ouch.

mike, that shot of the construction crew came out well. I was telling the guys about how you, JP, and I came across this industrial scaffold deconstruction "performance" piece behind the museum.

yes Roland's demonstration of the 'quick load' is one of the reasons I have yet to own a Leica with a removable spool!

We did miss you, Roland. Our beer and gear turned into a full blown street shoot!

We like you guys...honest!

We like you guys...honest!

Steve and I had a great time meeting everyone and spending time together. Not sure what happened-we looked up Mission from 6th and none of you were there. So next time we'll find a time and place to meet.

We should at least get together in mid-2009 to see the Robert Frank "Americans" show that will be at SF MOMA May-August.

Thanks to all who attended and thanks to Ray for letting me try the Winogrand Canon 28mm f2.8 lens.

Mike L.-was that "Steampunk" with the Canon 28 attached?

Kent and MikeL-you inspire me to dust off my SP and S2 cameras and use them. Thanks-I have decided January 2009 is Nikon rangefinder month for me.

Best wishes to all for a healthy new year. See ya in January!

Bob

Steve and I had a great time meeting everyone and spending time together. Not sure what happened-we looked up Mission from 6th and none of you were there. So next time we'll find a time and place to meet.

We should at least get together in mid-2009 to see the Robert Frank "Americans" show that will be at SF MOMA May-August.

Thanks to all who attended and thanks to Ray for letting me try the Winogrand Canon 28mm f2.8 lens.

Mike L.-was that "Steampunk" with the Canon 28 attached?

Kent and MikeL-you inspire me to dust off my SP and S2 cameras and use them. Thanks-I have decided January 2009 is Nikon rangefinder month for me.

Best wishes to all for a healthy new year. See ya in January!

Bob

Bob,

Great to meet you as well. If you use the "supermodel" SP (my favorite eye candy camera of all time) you may guilt me into shooting roll #2 with the S3 2000!

Enjoy the New Year and Happy Shooting.

Kent

Great photos Mike

Great photos Mike

The 3rd one is interesting, is there a wall there? or did the film advance jam??!

Look forward to catching up with you folks in Jan. or Feb.

Some more snapshots. Not sure what's up with the trees in the second.

Back