Going to San Francisco on Dec 26

SolaresLarrave

My M5s need red dots!
Local time
4:43 AM
Dear Folks, I'll be leaving for San Francisco on Dec 26. This time, I'll take my evil dSLR, some glass (long, because of the zoo), and my M3 with 'cron 50 and ISO 400 film. I am looking forward to it because I've never been to San Francisco, and we may go to Carmel as well... after the conference my wife is attending (I'm just going along for the ride).

I'll be in a nice hotel at 88 Howard Street. It's a luxury thing (the school picks up the tab), and I believe I'm near Union Square. Anything else within walking distance that is worth photographing? From reading the other threads I saw there are some flea markets on the first sunday of the month (I may be there).

Thanks in advance! :)

There's an active bunch of RFers in San Francisco. I think you'll get more response and advice if you post in the California Bay Area club forum here on RF.

Hi Solares,
Roland and I were talking of meeting up sometime before the New Year, and maybe we can try setting up a date when locals can show you around. Carl? Bingley? Ray? Honus? Tony?

Your hotel is in the South-of-Market (SOMA) area, about a 15 minute walk from Union Square.

My principal recommendation for shooting possibilities based on your location: From Howard St, walk over to Mission St or Market St, and head towards the Ferry Building for great street shooting along the Embarcadero. There's a farmer's market at the Ferry Building on Saturday mornings too. You can walk back along Market up to the Powell Street cable-car turnaround (w/ hordes of tourists), and work your way up to Union Square. Lots of Christmas lights in the stores, and there will be hordes of shoppers seeking after Christmas bargains. You can also head up Mission St., past SF MOMA, to the Metreon Center. Lots of street life, interesting modern architecture, although for SF Victorians you'll need to head towards North Beach or the Haight.

Depending on how much you want to walk, you can easily walk over to North Beach (Columbus Avenue) from the Embarcadero (Ferry Buildling) (or take one of the old street cars for part of the way), exploring some of SF's Victorian architecture and street life as you go. Walk in the direction of Fishermen's Wharf, but then head up North Point to Columbus Ave. Columbus Ave. will lead you through the heart of North Beach back into downtown and the financial district; there are numerous cafes and shops along the way. Cafe Trieste, near St Peter and St Paul's church in North Beach, is a great place to stop for a coffee (real San Franciscans don't drink lattes) w/ good shooting opportunities.

If you are a little more adventurous, I recommend two other SF areas: Haight Street from the Panhandle of Golden Gate Park down to a couple of blocks beyond Ashbury; and Union Street in the "Hayes Gulch" area. Best to take busses from where you're staying, but still walkable.

Bring a good rainjacket -- there are a series of storms headed this way.

Enjoy the City!! Post some Pix!! And, by all means, enjoy the cuisine.

I won't be able to get to SF on Dec. 26 or over the weekend, but I would love to meet up w/ Francisco and any of the SF RFF crowd on either Monday or Tuesday, Dec. 29 or 30. I'm taking those days off, and plan on spending one in the City shooting. Anyone else interested? MikeL are you around?

Wowsa! Thanks for the replies! I will be in SF up to Dec 31st. That day we emigrate to Carmel, so the days you guys mention are perfect. Great chance to meet you personally! :)

EDIT: Must go and shovel our driveway. There are some minute details to take care of yet... Take care!

Based on my experiences, don't expect hardly any photo opportunities to arise while you are in Carmel. While there last year for a photo workshop, numerous times away from the workshop I went into the town looking for decisive moments and found nothing. I grew up north of Carmel and visited it dozens of times during past years, and nothing has changed. I would suggest driving along the coast instead.

Roland -- You're on! Let me see whether bobkonos is available, and then let's set a date. We can take Francisco shooting in SF. And beer makes shooting better! :)

I concur about photo-ops in Carmel. Not that great. However, if you have a car, it's only a short drive down the coast (Hwy 1) to Point Lobos and Julia Pfeiffer State Park, which have fabulous landscape opportunities. You can channel your inner Edward Weston there... There are also photo opportunities up the coast a bit in Pacific Grove and Monterey. If you've got a tele w/ you, there's a nice path along the water in Pacific Grove where you can photograph sea otters, sea lions, etc., and if the weather calms down I recommend kayaking in Monterey Bay (there are a couple of rental places on Cannery Row down from the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which is a must-sea btw).

arghhh.....I just left S.F. today to go Miami for a week....unfortunately, I do not return to S.F. until the 31st of December......damn.....looks like I am going to miss another gathering....I was fortunate enough to hook up with MikeL 3 days ago though, a very productive meeting (I BOUGHT TWO CAMERAS).....thanks again MikeL for the awsome hook up......cheers, michael

Francisco, I had a great time when I spent a day with some of the SF guys back in January. Look forward to it!

If you end up going to Carmel, consider going 15 minutes further south to check out Pt. Lobos State Park (once a hang out of E. Weston), and perhaps a little detour on the return trip to stop off in the colonial town of San Juan Bautista which has a lovely little square and mission.

Ahhh, bobkonos is online! I'll start the bidding: Monday, Dec. 29, meet mid- to late-morning at the Ferry Building (bob and I will likely train down from Sac).

Are others available then? If not, I think a number of us could do Tuesday instead.

Doesn't have to be, but I will play it that way, and just bring my M2 and 40 Rokkor-M, and stuff my pockets w/ film. I sent invites via flickr to RayPA and Papercut.

arghhh.....I just left S.F. today to go Miami for a week....unfortunately, I do not return to S.F. until the 31st of December......damn.....looks like I am going to miss another gathering....I was fortunate enough to hook up with MikeL 3 days ago though, a very productive meeting (I BOUGHT TWO CAMERAS).....thanks again MikeL for the awsome hook up......cheers, michael

Michael, I'm looking forward to seeing some images from the rigid. I almost kept that one for myself! Let me know how the enlarger hunt goes....

I'm in for a good walk and beer.

P.S. Bingley, does Bob always speak in 3rd person? Just curious. ;)

P.P.S. Papercut, are you still in the north bay? If you can make it we can carpool.

Mike,

I rarely speak in the third person. Honest. See you next week? We could be the Nikon RF users in the group.

Mike -- bob has a transcendant personality. ;):D

Bob -- Are you around on Saturday? I can give you a call in between quarters of the Emerald Bowl, to make travel arrangements. Go Bears!

Back