ELCAN replica lens posts

Hello Ed,
Does anyone here know if LLL has reproduced these 4 glass elements (The optical glasses, front to back of the ELCAN are: Lanthanum Crown Glass LaK9; Leitz Special Glass 672460; Flint Glass SF63; and Lanthanum Flint Glass LaFN7)?

I mean, if LLL has done a difficult task to actually copy and reproduce these four glass elements from scratch, it would be a different issue then.

I may be just irritated that the cost is high. Maybe it is "not too high" if we had all the necessary information on this lens.

With the 8-element, the glass types LLL used were allegedly the same as in the original. I do not know the story of their ELCAN glasses. I will ask Kevin if he knows. And also ask about the rationale for pricing the ELCAN replica.

I do not often hear right off from Kevin, and he may well choose not to answer this. We will see.

Ed

It should be $250..
Why..
Because it only has 4 elements..
Not 8 elements..like the 35mm....at $500-...lol..
Flint Lanthanum glass..hmmm..
Print Lanthanum on the front ring..and its 2K easy..
Sure its flint lanthanum..sure it is...

With the site shut down for a week or more, I did hear back from Kevin. This is what he says:

"The glasses are not precisely the same. I think even Leica today cannot achieve that, just like the Leica replica Notcilux 50 1.2. But Mr. ZHou's technician told me the glass ELCAN 50 2 replica use is very close to the original. It is still flint glass. The glass source is from the old stock manufactured by the Chengdu GuangMing factory.

The coating is also very, very close to the original. Single coated. The replica coating has a mixed amber and purple color. The original coating also has the mixed amber and purple color but more on the amber side"

About costs, he says that costs are rising, that regulations are now costing more money, and that as a start-up, LLL has to charge enough to continue business. Take all that as you will.

Ed

fair enough;
whether buy it or not; it's up to buyer's decision.
i found some negative comments of whom would not buy it are quite funny.
i myself would not buy this one, i have enough lenses for me, but i don't judge the LLL team regarding the price they quoted.
let's the market responses to this product, it would be the best way to see if this ELCAN replica is worth or not.

cheers;
trung nguyen

With the site shut down for a week or more, I did hear back from Kevin. This is what he says:

"The glasses are not precisely the same. I think even Leica today cannot achieve that, just like the Leica replica Notcilux 50 1.2. But Mr. ZHou's technician told me the glass ELCAN 50 2 replica use is very close to the original. It is still flint glass. The glass source is from the old stock manufactured by the Chengdu GuangMing factory.

The coating is also very, very close to the original. Single coated. The replica coating has a mixed amber and purple color. The original coating also has the mixed amber and purple color but more on the amber side"

About costs, he says that costs are rising, that regulations are now costing more money, and that as a start-up, LLL has to charge enough to continue business. Take all that as you will.

Ed

As promised, I am providing a download link to the pdf of my upcoming article for LHSA's Viewfinder on the lens. This is not in the format that will be published. It is possible that there might be changes prior to publication. I have enjoyed using this lens.

Ed

https://www.mediafire.com/file/d84dov9roidk5im/Article+on+the+ELCAN+50-2+Replica.pdf/file

ED: Thank you for the write-up and for lending me the ELCAN replica. The lens is a good lens overall. I do not own an original ELCAN to compare it with, but it felt good to use this lens.

I hope that your excellent write-up on the replica ELCAN is getting many reads here. You have obviously spent quite some time and effort in producing your report. I wish we had such reports for all newly introduced lenses.

"The glasses are not precisely the same. I..... But Mr. ZHou's technician told me the glass ELCAN 50 2 replica use is very close to the original. It is still flint glass. ....

This remain me these stuffReplicaorshanzhai.jpg

Back