ELCAN replica lens posts

I got the CV 50/2 APO, which is very different from the ELCAN replica.
I may get the replica.

a good lens

a good lens

I like the photos Raid, specially the B&W.

Interesting lens, it would be even more interesting now to see a couple of portraits...

I think if it would be difficult to get this lens in Italy (Europe)

Thanks, Robert. I will try to find "someone" willing to be photographed!
I wonder what the selling price will be in the end. The black prototype looks nice.

I would NOT buy this lens for such a price. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I agree with you Raid.... BTW the 8 element 35mm on Eb*y the lowest asking price is $1200 USD. The $500 RFF price is a thing of past history and clearly LLL isn't seeking to compete with 7Artisans et al.... with low price lenses.

I agree with you Raid.... BTW the 8 element 35mm on Eb*y the lowest asking price is $1200 USD. The $500 RFF price is a thing of past history and clearly LLL isn't seeking to compete with 7Artisans et al.... with low price lenses.

I don't know how the final production ELCAN replica will be like, but the prototype is a small dingy thing, and a fair price is $500. Let others pay more than that. The CV lenses feel much better in my hands. If CV lenses go for $1000, then LLL lenses should sell for CV/2.

I heard that LLL is going to offer RF members a special Elcan price of $200-...lol..
Yeah right..

At $1400-..fogetaboutit..

LLL did not design the ELCAN. There is no design process cost for them. They have no history in lens making, and they still have years to go to establish themselves as producers of first quality lenses.

cost of LLL=cost of CV/2 is my recommended equation.

I waited for a brass one, but it was then suggested to me to switch to black or chrome.

I remember.... that painfully long thread and the longer wait

51137265807_673d013477_c.jpg

LLL did not design the ELCAN. There is no design process cost for them.
Yeah..but..
It cost them a lot to steal it..
Gotta give em credit for that..lol..
Come on..give the thieves a break will ya..
They gotta earn a living..

Maybe we should not encourage what so called "replica" The images from this Shanzhai lens seem no better than a lens from polished beer bottle bottom. Look at those replica/fake/wannabe/Shanzhai products from Mr. Zhous

Attachments

• 55_1710.jpg
    55_1710.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 87_1117.jpg
    87_1117.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 61_186.jpg
    61_186.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
Like I said in a previous post. The Leica Elcan sells for many $S since it is a rare 'Leica' lens. Originally it was a 'low cost Leica lens' (still expensive compared tobother makes). An LLL lens (no track record) of a 4 element 50mm should not be 1400. The VC (with decent track record) 50mm f1.2 Asph is less than that. I go with Raid $500 or less.

Agree that originally (1970) the cost of the ELCAN 50/2 was less than the contemporaneous Summicron 50/2, because of only 4 elements and not expensive glass (if we read Dr. Mandler's patent application).

However, how expensive might these same glass types be today:
The optical glasses, front to back of the ELCAN are: Lanthanum Crown Glass LaK9; Leitz Special Glass 672460; Flint Glass SF63; and Lanthanum Flint Glass LaFN7.

I have no idea of that.

Also, as others have opined here on RFF, the care with which a 4-element lens is assembled is crucial. This prototype had some issues with that IMO. I write about that in my article.

And we really do not know the price point here.

Ed

Back