Dangerous Madrid?

The British Foreign Office offers this advice about Norway.

I see that i could only bring 10kg of meat and cheese with me, and to be careful of eating mussels.

I think that this 'Travel Advice' from Commonwealth Foreign Office is accurate. I have been poisoned eating blueshells myself, so the warning is timely. Our strict drinking & driving laws are a nasty suprise to many foreigners here. - You get 21 days in jail if your blood contains more than 0,5 pro mille alcohol. You get heavily fined if you blood contains tracable alcohol at all when driving (tecnincally, the limit is 0,2 pro mille).

There is one inaccuracy here I would contest. Norway is not very expensive if you can deduct our VAT which you can get refunded when leaving Norway. For instance; check the prices here of Leica goods from the Leica importer that will grant you close to 20% (VAT) off these prices:

http://www.farnes.no/aspx/loginVnet.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Default.aspx

And:

http://www.farnes.no/aspx/produkter...Optikk&g2txt=Leica - Klikk her&g3txt=M-Optikk

Norway Travel Advice etc.

Norway Travel Advice etc.

The advice say: '..You should be aware that credit cards are generally not as well accepted as a means of payment in Norwegian supermarkets and petrol stations as they are in the UK - but this situation is improving all the time. You can send money electronically to Norway via Forex, which has five offices in Oslo. Details of its opening hours and addresses can be found here. Money can also be sent visa Western Union, which has offices in Oslo and Bergen...

This is inaccurate. Credit cards have been available in super markets and gas stations for as long as I can remember. I have been traveling exstensively around all of Scandinavia for the last 25 years and can confirm that Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark were the first countries in Europe where you could travel around 'with no cash at all', only use credit cards. While both Forex and Western Union has limited operations here in Norway. This due to that the banks handles foreign exchange services - both cheaper and better particularly for people that have a credit card/bank account.

Last edited:
Southern South America

Southern South America

Generally, I would avoid, and warn against, Central and South America, - with certain clearly defined exceptions. Too much guns around.

My daughter spent about 4 months in 'southern' South America in the early part of 2008. She visited Chile, Peru, Bolivia & Argentina, mainly staying in hostels, using basic public transport, and had a fine time. Of course, those countries may well not be the same as 'northern' Suth America, e.g. Colombia.

The only truly bizarre thing that happened to her was that she visited an old silver mine in Bolivia where the miners would do their thing for visitors. However, she had to take the essential supplies that the miners needed with her: a) coca leaves, and b) dynamite. Both of these could be bought in the local village market. Follow this link: http://www.travelblog.org/South-America/Bolivia/Potosi-Department/Potosi/blog-265723.html for a picture of her holding her dynamite....

As it's been said, 90% of the robbers in Madrid are foreigners, most of them coming for eastern europe, Rumania, mainly. They almost never assault, but get your things and run away. Don't trust foreign little children neither. Eastern europe gangs use them to rob, so beware.

I was reading this topic especially to find assertion like the one above.
For me, as a Romanian, is very sad when I read that. It is simply not true. 99,99% of the robbers are gypsies. They come from INDIA!!! Not Romania. They spent some time in Romania, and now they are European gypsies. Think about this: those robbers go from Spain to America to rob and steal. They become Robbers from Spain? Is this how it is working.

And to hear something funny, in Rajasthan (where the gypsy people are coming from- north west of India), they all believe that gypsy people are in fact Spanish. From Spain. :) Isn't this funny? Truth being said, their appearance is much, much more closer to Spanish than Romanian, which have lighter colored skin and hair. :)

And to make things clear, the reason for wrinting all this here is very strong for me. Because this type of information makes it difficult for me to pursue my passion. A lot of people from ebay or from here, had suspitions about me when I wanted to buy something. Of course, he is from Romania, better avoid him. I am not posing as a victim but this is true. For me it was much more difficult to buy a camera. And impossible to sell one. :) I got stuck with over 24 cameras for this reason.

And to be on topic, Madrid is very safe from my point of view. I traveled a lot and I found Spain on the safe side, but like anywhere else you have to pay attention to your stuff.

Camera armor just released a strap with embedded steel cable:

http://store.made-products.com/products/toughstrap-safegrip-set

Other than that, I haven't been to Madrid but was pickpocketed in Italy, by two girls that couldn't have been much older than 7. Fortunately I had all my cash / traveller's checks in a travel wallet worn around my neck and under my shirt, I only had my international student ID in the wallet. So since they didn't get any cash they had the gall to come back to me, hand me the wallet and ask for a reward like they "found" it!

So if Madrid is anything like Rome as far as pick pockets, yes, just be careful, keep nothing in your pockets, and use a travel wallet.

Oh, no one bothered my A1

Stefan,

I don't think the comment was meant t hurt your feelings, and I also don't think the comment was referring to the ethnicity of the thieves, but more where "they are coming from" i.e. which country they are coming from, what is their passport saying, what language they are speaking.
It is really sad, i agree with you, because of some infamous few we all get problems (i also have the red passport).
However, on one hand i can understand the people. That's how people are. They generalize in order to reduce the risk.
It is similar of what you were writing by the way, when you said, they are "gipsies and come from INDIA".
You certainly don't want to say that all people from India should be banished because they are thieves? But for simplicity, you just said, they come from India.
I have a very good Indian friend, who happens to be one of the most honest persons i've ever met. He was rather surprised of the bad image of the gipsies here in Europe and almost ashamed of having the same roots.
But then again, it is also not true that all gipsies are thieves, far from it.

So, don't take it as an offense on yourself. People generalize. We all do.

well, i think we all do at some level. Look at it like this example, Jon:
Guns are banned. (i mean in most countries, except some well known examples.) Why? because of the few that would abuse them.
You cannot take liquids in the hand luggage. Why? Are all liquids dagnerous? No, it's just because a few bad guys tried something, now we all are forbidden.
Most if not all laws are based on generalizations, to reduce a risk.
another example: Somebody from a "less wealthy" country like Ukraine needs a visa to enter Portugal. Why ? All Ukrainians are criminals or something?
Of course not, but this is how the ones in power try to reduce the risk. By applying rules to all people of a "category".

It sucks, but people are not angels.
Exept myself, of course :angel:

I was reading this topic especially to find assertion like the one above.
For me, as a Romanian, is very sad when I read that. It is simply not true. 99,99% of the robbers are gypsies. They come from INDIA!!!

Stefan,

not only is post #72 wrong in its facts, but it is racist and offensive.

Roland.

Last edited:
well, i think we all do at some level.

No, again, many of us do not generalize.

If you have stereotypes based on ethnicity, or skin color, or whatever, and apply those to people you meet do not tell yourself that "we all do it". (And so that's OK.)

Many of us do not do it.

No, again, many of us do not generalize.

If you have stereotypes based on ethnicity, or skin color, or whatever, and apply those to people you meet do not tell yourself that "we all do it". (And so that's OK.)

Many of us do not do it.

Scientifically speaking, while many of us would like to believe that we are completely unbiased, it has been shown that most people do have some inherent bias. I don't quite remember where I read this, but I did read it.

p.s. this is getting off subject, the OP asked for travel advice and perhaps we should restrict the discussion to that.

Last edited:
iamzip:

Pherdinand says we all generalize.

And you say most of us have some bias (but you cannot remember where you read that).

Doesn't this sound rather weak?

Pherdi,

in the > 10 years I have lived in the US I have never heard it mentioned here. But racial prosecution of Sinti and Roma has been a big issue in European history, including an estimated half million people being killed in German concentration camps.

A very sad subject really.

Moving back to the OP's question:

Madrid is not more dangerous than any other big European city. Enjoy your trip.

Roland.

Last edited:
is there one single nation that did NOT commit some kind of genocide during our short history as human race? I can't think of any. First person to come up with an answer, can have a free miniature 220 microF capacitor (fits and revives minolta x-300).:)
It's just a matter of how long ago it was and how many are left behind to complain.
Would be better to learn from it, instead of blaming each other. But i guess it's easier this way.

Last edited:
Stefan,

not only is post #72 wrong in its facts, but it is racist and offensive.

Roland.

I agree that what I wrote could be read like this.
But I am not a racist. I do have gypsies friends and even people that work for me. But there is a problem with criminality. In Romania, while they are 10% of the population now, they make 85% of the crimes here. Especially theft and robbery. These are facts. Why is happening here, while in the native country (rajasthan) they are very friendly and is the last place on earth where you can get robbed? I don't know. So, it must be our fault because they are not integrated. Maybe, but this is another issue. And this is speculative. But the facts (the overwhelming percentage) are real.
Another fact is that after joining the EU, the criminality in Romania was lower, because most of the gypsy people left for richer countries. To work, beg or steal. Those are facts. I saw them with both my eyes stealing and begging around Europe.
In conclusion, to help you check the facts, I repeat them:
- gypsy come from north of India (widely accepted fact)
- in Romania most gypsy are not criminals;
- a large majority of criminal activity in Romania is done by gypsy;
- in all the western countries I saw gypsy people begging (Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, London, Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, etc.) and even stealing (in Rome);
- every week we see at news plains full of gypsy people sent away from Spain, Italy and France because of criminal activity.

If you ever come to Bucharest, take your Leica and best lenses and I will drive you in the middle of the gypsy area. If you make it out of there with everything in place, I will pay for your trip. It is possible you make it. But highly improbable. ;)

And what are the wrong facts you talk about in my first post?

Im from Madrid. I consider Madrid like a safe place. There are places that maybe can be dangerous, normally these places are outskirts, but depends the hours can be localized in the center of the city. The risk/danger is a very subjetive perception, you can walk for example in Montera Street, that is a busy street, in the real center of the city and dont feel danger, but around you can walk a pimp, a prostitute, a policeman or a kid. Use the common sense for move around the city. Normally, spanish people are communicative, and can help you if you need it. One of the best things of Madrid, is that you are very near to other venerable cities like Toledo, Avila, Segovia, Cuenca, El Escorial, Salamanca...

Back