Dangerous Madrid?

I spent a little under a week in Madrid and felt relatively safe. However, I stayed very near to the Atocha train station. It was very central but some the the surrounding streets seemed to get a bit rougher as you wandered away. I happened across what a Red-light district not too far from our hotel (and promptly turned around I might add!) on a Friday evening, and that was the only time I felt uncomfortable with the people around me. I would be a little wary, but no more so than most other major cities.

I did see a small camera shop/studio on Paseo de las Delicias, which again, is only a block or two behind Atocha station. It was always closed when I went by so I'm not entirely sure of what services they have.

Madrid seemed very nice, but was a little difficult to get around to some of the more well-known attractions (if indeed that's what you're going to see) as they are very spread out across the city.

One final note, I found some of the workers in the train station and other 'tourist' hubs to be quite rude and unhelpful, so if you're fluent in Spanish it may be an advantage.

-Chad

Two years ago, I spent 3 weeks in Madrid and other cities in Spain. Compared to some larger cities in the States and Latin America, it's a cakewalk. Just keep your cameras close to your body at all times and be aware, which is just common sense at all times. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi, Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.... I guess my subject line was too short and it was misleading... I just wanted to find out if Madrid is dangerous to tourists, especially if I go solo and don't speak the language. I didn't mean to offend anyone in Europe and I hope one day I will travel around Europe in a road trip....
Thanks again.... :)

I agree with much above and so should you.

There is no violent crime as one hears of (and lives with) in the States.

It is always pickpocketing really and con-men (& women!!...& children!!!)

Spanish and Portuguese are the kindest people I have ever known. They do not have that provincial arrogance of Italians, whom I too adore...

Itlians will defend their pride as to why things do not work, etc. "oh we are a poor country, etc. (vis a vis, insecure)

Spanish simply say, "yes, it is like this...stupid, but it is.."And give you a grin..

Having travelled extensively 31+ countries and living in Europe as well for years now, it has become habit to cover/watch/protect your bag etc.. Never put your wallet in your back pocket, turn your bag in front of you and cover it with your arm, keep important items (passport, etc) well hidden so when your mind wanders (and it will!) you don't have to keep alert all the time.

It is like driving.. A lot to remember at first, but it all becomes second nature after a while.

When within metro or bus in the States people become so offended when I turn my bag away from them in habit as if I think they are a thief...Alas, this will be a habit for life I am afraid!

Backpacks on the back are a no-no.

I have known well travelled people who have had there wallets and items removed from within their bags/purse, and not known it as the thief re-zipped the bag and closed it *all* without them knowing about it. Even entire backpacks taken from beneath their own chair while sitting a moment..

Not Spain, but elsewhere in Europe. Italy, France, Praha..

You want something you can keep your arm over, across your body to swing around front when necessary..especially when concentrating on other things like photography. one can easily go into your bag as you are concentrating on other things. With something around your shoulder you can swing it around to your front and protect it as you take a shot.

This is my suggestion.

Above all, go relaxed, like you've been there. Sure its fine to ask questions, just be smart who you ask. goto tourist office or other business until you become more comfortable with the place and see who is who. Be aware of your surroundings and be smart. That's all.

Nothing can give you confidence/experience you need now, but don't become paranoid from some advice above as if you must be a spy trying to "fit in".

The future happens whether we worry about it or not. Just enjoy the ride and be aware of your surroundings. Pickpockets are very sly...it is really impressive..but don;t worry nobody is going to kock you over the head and run.

The worst that will happen is you'll get lost...so what?! It's the journey not the destination. right?

Have fun

I was standing next to my friend when he got his wallet snatched in the Paris subway a few years ago and lost 2000 Euros. There were 6 of them and they put of a "show" to distract him. It was impressive.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
sorry, but your friend was hangin' around outside playing the tourist with 2000 euros in his wallet???

Seriously, where does the idea come from that it is somehow more dangerous where you vacation than where you live?

Seriously, where does the idea come from that it is somehow more dangerous where you vacation than where you live?

It is often easier to perceive anything that you don't know or understand as more dangerous than that which you know or (you believe) you understand. And I say "you" in the general sense, not You "you".

It's...emm...in their nature.

Hi,

I did finish the trip and I must say people in Madrid are very very nice. I don't speak Spanish at all, with a little dictionary I was able to get around. Everyone was very willing to help me.

I didn't have much trouble in the subway either. The subway is clean and very easy to get around, without knowing much about Spanish.

Not dangerous at all :)

Did attend the show "El Mundo Femenino" and it was wonderful and it was free too. Madrid is very artistic city, bounding the rich history. It was just so nice. I wish I could be there longer and the weather could be nicer.

Thank you ZeMane. Too bad we didn't meet, but there must be other chances.

Happy new year too all.

-d

I have travelled countless times through all the major cities and a quite a few provinces all over Europe many many times. never have i felt unsafe or have had anything stolen.

The US has illegal immigration too!

Madrid is a super place and the Spanish are a wonderful people..so enjoy
your trip. Be careful but not paranoid!

Have a safe and memorable trip.

Hi Dawei,

Glad to know you enjoyed your stay here in Madrid. It was a shame not being able to meet :confused: ... however there will be further opportunuties in the near future, sure.
BTW, you can join the European RFF Meeting, to be hold in Barcelona next april... the city is really beautiful, and hopefully the weather should be much better at that time of the year...

Any Madrid shots to show???

Best wishes for the new year 2009.
Regards,

Hi Dawei,

Glad to know you enjoyed your stay here in Madrid. It was a shame not being able to meet :confused: ... however there will be further opportunuties in the near future, sure.
BTW, you can join the European RFF Meeting, to be hold in Barcelona next april... the city is really beautiful, and hopefully the weather should be much better at that time of the year...

Any Madrid shots to show???

Best wishes for the new year 2009.
Regards,

Hi, I´m in Madrid too, and we will meet in Barcelona in April,,,, where are the post for the European RFF Meeting ?

Reggards

Interesting discussion, this; 'where is it safe to travel'. I will draw your attention to the Travel Reports and Warnings of 'Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada' available both in English (http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/menu-eng.asp ) and French; (http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/menu-fra.asp )

Generally, I agree with the assessments. Several Foreign Offices around the world issues similar Travel Reports, but I find this Canadian one good and balanced.

I have to smile of cause, of this on Norway; (http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=225000 )

'... Avoid poorly lit areas, especially the streets behind Oslo's Central Railway Station after dark'.

- 'Poorly lit areas' are difficult to avoid in a country with 'polar darkness' some 2 - 3 months a year.

- 'avoid....the streets behind Oslo Central Railway Station' - an area which includes Oslo's main police station and happens to be the route my wife takes to work each morning - and back in the afternoon. - In the dark. A brave woman, my wife, - according to the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.

For young travellers to Norway, I would rather warn against the hefty alcohol consumption on an ordinary Saturday night here in Oslo, and the violence it brings with it.

Further:

Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada have just recently issued an 'Avoid Non-Essential Travel' for parts of Malaysia; ' to the islands off the east coast of Sabah, including Sipadan and Langkayan islands where the kidnapping of foreigners has occurred in the past'.

- OK. I am going to another island off the Malaysian East coast; Tioman Island, - in April... I'll be fine, I am sure.

Reuters warns today that law and order has broken down - practically, in Guatemala and that petty crime is rampant, as well as civil war like conditions rage between drug cartels. And guns all over the place. A very unsafe situation for tourists. Conditions, I think, that most national foreign services should warn their citizens against. More so than warning against the potential danger of 'terrorists'. Generally, I would avoid, and warn against, Central and South America, - with certain clearly defined exceptions. Too much guns around.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that weekend Barça plays here in Madrid, actually in Getafe, a suburb in the south...

19/04/2009 Getafe - Barcelona

As ClaremontPhoto suggested, it could be fun and interesting to watch the match at a bar in Barcelona...

Is Barca playing at home the weekend of the meet?

The British Foreign Office offers this advice about Norway.

I see that I can only bring 10kg of meat and cheese with me, and to be careful of eating mussels.

Last edited:
Back