Classic Camera Repair Forum (KyPhoto) resurrected

farlymac

PF McFarland
Local time
5:37 PM
Alas, the time has come to say goodbye to another well known and much loved site. I couldn't get any of my links to work last night, so I e-mailed the administrator. This is her reply this morning.

Hi Phil,

I had received notification that our discussion forum has been shut down. I was told that our outdated scripts caused an overload on their shared server and threatened the connectivity of other websites on this server. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to discontinue operation of the forum. Due to other commitments during the past couple years, I haven't been active in the forum community, therefore, I feel unfit to start another forum.

I've contacted the hosting company in hopes to save a copy of the latest messages on my local machine, but really, I can't think of any appropriate way to make those messages available to the public again.

I thank you for the time and effort you've placed into moderating the forum, much is appreciated! I apologize for the disruption it's caused.

-Margaret

RIP KyPhoto

PF

Oh no! I was praying in vain that it was down only for maintenance.

Many of us will hate to see it go. I hope the repair articles won't be lost forever. Maybe someone would like to kick off a replacement site and help Margaret migrate messages and articles?

A very great pity. I too was hoping its disappearance was just a temporary glitch. It was the very first camera forum I joined!

Steve.

This really sucks. That was a great forum for all of us who like to tinker with old, classic cameras. I hope another forum like it can start elsewhere.

Jim B.

Not sure what hosting costs or what is involved, but I would suggest Kyphoto might be a natural adjunct to RFF....please Head Barman :)

Update 9-14-13 1930 EDT

Update 9-14-13 1930 EDT

After another message from Margaret, I just checked, and only the forum part of the site has been shut down. All the articles and manuals are still accessible, but the information in the archives will no longer be available.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/ (finally found my original link)

PF

Again a sudden and unexpected loss !

It surely was one of my favorite forums over the last couple of years where you could expect to find knowledge and advice about camera repair, restoration and maintenance.

Their archives were many times a big help for me.

Surely hope that it can be continued in one form or another and the archives can be resurrected !

I was only visiting Kyphoto last week. When I first discovered it 2-3 years back, its layout was not as brilliant as the majority of photography forums, but what a mine of information. To say it was brilliant is an understatement.
I tried to visit Kyphoto Fri. & yesterday, but could not understand why things were not as they should have been.
Thanks for the info. here and I will keep an eye open to see what else is posted here.

What a shame to see it go. I was literally using it yesterday to find information on repairing a Canonet.

Any efforts to make an archive version of the forum available would no doubt be appreciated by thousands of photographers and camera repair tinkerers.

immense loss

immense loss

If kyphoto repair forum is gone, this is a disaster of immense proportions for those who enjoy the modest tinkering/repair jobs on older cameras. It is a treasure trove of techniques, tools, experience that cannot be found anywhere else. I hope the good people on that forum and RFF are able to resurrect that content.

I couldn't have said it better. What a disappointing loss! I can only hope that some way is found to at least save the content as an archive.

If kyphoto repair forum is gone, this is a disaster of immense proportions for those who enjoy the modest tinkering/repair jobs on older cameras. It is a treasure trove of techniques, tools, experience that cannot be found anywhere else. I hope the good people on that forum and RFF are able to resurrect that content.

Bugger. Not good news at all, I was hoping it was down pending domain renewal or server move, myself. I'd love nothing more than to see it integrated into RFF though, as this site has a small, but active community of self taught repairers including myself. I was searching repair techniques last night, and a number of google first or second hits were directing to RFF anyway. Any opportunity to retrieve archives or incorporate future repair information with this existing forum would concentrate resources by having them in the same web location.
Cheers
Brett

Bugger. Not good news at all, I was hoping it was down pending domain renewal or server move, myself. I'd love nothing more than to see it integrated into RFF though, as this site has a small, but active community of self taught repairers including myself. I was searching repair techniques last night, and a number of google first or second hits were directing to RFF anyway. Any opportunity to retrieve archives or incorporate future repair information with this existing forum would concentrate resources by having them in the same web location.
Cheers
Brett

Second that.

some time ago I started a thread here on what it would take for people to evolve into a Leica (and other brand) repair person, and knowledge to share / online resources was mentioned a lot there, as well as spare parts.

Adding content of the KyPhoto forum to RFF would be a great asset to the forum, the community and repair persons worldwide I'd say. Not sure how feasible this is though, it would likely result in current threads becoming archive-only and people would need to register a new account with RFF to post? It might be useful to have the KyPhoto URL link to RFF to redirect traffic.

Just goes to show the value of the internet is fleeting.

Printed works last longer.

Now, how can I print all those archives? :-O

If we only would have known that it would be closed in due course things would have been a bit better as there are programs like WinHH with which it is possible to make a mirror copy of much of the normally accessable content.
Now it is too late as much data is missing on web.archive.org and the structure of Web.archive.org doesn't allow for an errorfree transit of data. A real shame :-(

We must save as much as we can :( there is valuable information and experience written in posts that have helped me as well.. and still do..

Back