Zeiss ZX1?

6800 RAW, and over 50,000 JPGs. Seems sufficient for most, but won't be surprised to hear someone say it is inadequate for a day's saturation bombing mission.

the thought of dealing with that many files makes me feel ill

forgive me for repeating myself but... does anyone know if you can tag and caption in lightroom CC?

No exposure compensation dial and this?:

Does this camera use a leaf shutter?

Yes, it’s mechanically controlled up to 1/1000, and electronic will let you go to higher shutter speeds, using the toolbar [on the rear screen].

Lol.

Good old DPR: "We don't know how well the sensor or lens will perform, but it's a safe bet that image quality will far exceed the abilities of even the best smartphones and likely also popular sub full-frame compact cameras such as Fujifilm's X100-Series and Ricoh's GR line."

For $3500ish it better.

It's coming close to a year since the last post. Can we say that the ZX1 is now vaporware? It's a bit of a shame as the concept is pretty cool.

$1.000 more with less resolution compared to a Q2? Also bigger in size compared to an M10.

Oh, yea! They'll be lining up for this one!

curious how does the built in Lightroom CC work. does the camera require subscription from Adobe, to be used for editing photos :confused:

curious how does the built in Lightroom CC work. does the camera require subscription from Adobe, to be used for editing photos :confused:

"Zeiss did say back in 2018 that customers who purchase the camera won’t need to subscribe to Adobe’s CC subscription program if they want to use the program, but if they want to share the edited images from the camera to their desktop, they will need a subscription. "

Kinda confusing and by the feel of it, a huge detour.

Curiously B&H listed it having a "mechanical shutter" capable of 1/8000. That's something if it's leaf shutter. Top speed on dial is still 1/1000.

The optical design is 8 elements in 5 groups which does not match either their Milvus or ZM 35/2 Distagon designs. Could be better, could be worse, could just be different. Also,“The optical design incorporates two double-sided aspherical elements, which help to reduce spherical aberrations and minimize distortion.” I can’t find any reference to aspherical elements of any kind in the Zeiss literature on their Milvus or ZM versions. Maybe this lens sets some kind of a new standard for 35/2 lenses, maybe it’s just harsh. At this point, nobody knows anything. The Leica 35/2 SL lens by itself costs $5,100. This is the world we live in. And reflexively saying at this point that the Leica lens is better because “it’s a Leica” might be showing some inner fanboy.

Earlier shutter literature on the Zeiss site says 1/2000 “with the leaf shutter being limited to 1/1000”, so anything faster than 1/1000, whether it be 1/2000 or 1/8000 is likely going to be electronic. Maybe the 2 year delay in introduction had to do with them trying to figure out what numbers to put on the physical dial, and how to get them all on there.

Also, who makes a 37.4 MP full frame sensor? Sony doesn’t, and never has, as far as I can tell. This Zeiss body is the only implementation of such a sensor anywhere, near as I can tell ( correct me please if I am missing something). So, where does this come from and is it any good? Better than everyone else’s, worse, or just different? Everyone seems preoccupied with the handling and the body shape and connectivity etc, but the sensor and the lens are the two biggest contributors to image quality, and the quality of these are both completely unknown at this point.

Maybe some of the costs reflects an eternal subscription to the camera’s internal Lightroom CC. Maybe it just reflects the realities of today’s camera market, maybe it’s just nuts. What we know today about this camera in use, how good the lens is, etc, is dwarfed by what we don’t know, but I am personally surprised it showed up at all. Though there appears to be no new info from Zeiss at all on their site, so saying that the camera has “been released with little fanfare” overstates the fanfare.

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7654895946/check-out-that-lens-zeiss-zx1-studio-scene-uploaded

Am not pushing this camera, even if it might seem that way, but turns out the lens/sensor combo might be somewhat exceptional, even if not providing enough reason for people to buy into the concept.
The way DPR has done this interactive thingy to allow viewers to compare this camera/lens with a whole host of other cameras is interesting though. Easy to spend a lot of time exploring small and not so small differences in lens performance.
Not going to change anyone’s mind, most likely, as it’s still too expensive and too weird for most people, regardless of how good the lens is.

Back