Ricoh GR III?

RICOH GRIII
47474034601_815bcee811_b.jpg
[/url]R0000093 by kuvvy, on Flickr[/IMG]

Snatched up a GRIII to see if I should have it replace the X100F, which I sadly don't pull out of its bag often enough. I wish I had the money to keep both. An upcoming trip will be the test of me and the GRs future together.

So far I'm really liking the camera. More importantly, I'm having great fun with it. For the first batch of 'fooling around' shots, I had the GV-1 that came with my GRDIII slid into the hot shoe. But I quickly realized how nice it is to forego a viewfinder and just snap with or without the LCD.

The controls are also really, really nice. Even with above average size hands, it's a very comfy camera. The exposure compensation rocker that I thought I'd miss from the GRDIII is nicely replaced by the back jog wheel. Full press snap kind of eliminates my need for a physical control for AF/MF, a feature that I fancied when looking at the GRII.

The battery is a bit too weak, though. I can't for the life of me understand why Ricoh let the camera slip into production with it. A slightly bigger camera would've been preferable, in my opinion. The battery did last the whole day for me yesterday - when snapping snaps wasn't my primary concern. For a whole day whose purpose is shooting, I'd need to be carrying a lot of spares. I guess it's not a huge problem, but a mind-boggling one none the less. In spite of that... I think I'm in love with a Ricoh again.

Super pleased with the GRIII, nitpicks (having to carry two spare batteries) and compromises (dubious low light AF performance) aside. My only real concern at the moment is how to get the lens ring to not fall off. Only had it happen once, but that’s once too many for comfort. Any tips for making it less prone to wriggle out of it’s grooves?

Any tips for making it less prone to wriggle out of it’s grooves?

I put a very small piece of gaffer tape on each groove and now the lens ring fits more firmly, it's actually hard to get it off, but that's fine since I don't plan on using any lens accessories with mine.

-Thomas

Thanks for the tip! I winged it and slipped two slender strips of film into the little metal clip at the bottom of the ring. That seems to have made it less prone to wriggle about.

I was watching some long term real life test of GR III a.k.a. regular photography.
GR III didn't impressed me with colors.
Here is the video which compares GR III to older one.
https://youtu.be/ZBmTlL_tro4

Anyone else noticed something odd about GR III colors?
I like how this camera is made. Looking for something with big sensor and tiny body.

The colors on the GR III are excellent. Definitely not "odd" but different from the GR II, mostly because the JPEG profiles are tuned a little differently. However RAW files are very pleasing to work with, and are 14-bit which the previous models aren't, so better dynamic range. And the JPEG profiles can be highly customized.

R0000224 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

R0000233 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

R0002876 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

R0000386 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

R0001069 by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

I was watching some long term real life test of GR III a.k.a. regular photography.
GR III didn't impressed me with colors.
Here is the video which compares GR III to older one.
https://youtu.be/ZBmTlL_tro4

Anyone else noticed something odd about GR III colors?
I like how this camera is made. Looking for something with big sensor and tiny body.

LOL. The GRII has one of the worst colors of any digital camera I have tried. Especially the reds are very unnatutal. There are even fixes for the red channel that you can download for LR/PS. Thankfully that annoyance seems to have been corrected with the GRIII. colors look much more natural

LOL. The GRII has one of the worst colors of any digital camera I have tried. Especially the reds are very unnatutal. There are even fixes for the red channel that you can download for LR/PS. Thankfully that annoyance seems to have been corrected with the GRIII. colors look much more natural

Well it’s color temp was off... dial in a little less magenta and it was fixed. I taught you that years ago.

Back