Ricoh GR III?

gzisis69

Established
Local time
12:02 PM
hello, im looking to buy a small pocketable camera and im wondering if ricoh is going to anounce a new model soon ?

Have no idea if a III is coming but I've owned the I and the II and they were pretty much identical. I think they added WiFi which I never use but otherwise I can't tell the difference.

Really good cameras. Wouldn't hesitate to buy. Poke around the rumors sites to see if anything may be coming.

Welcome. All we know for sure is that Ricoh has stated their commitment to the camera. But why wait? The GR ii is pretty much the most digital camera you'll find for the money.

John

If I were looking for a pocket camera I'd add the Fuji X-70 to the list. The lens does not collapse into the body but it still is very small.

B2 (;->

For pants pocket the GR I and III are a bit too big. The older GRD series fits better in pants pocket.

i dont want an old camera. if im going to buy an old model with small sensor i can keep my iphone.

Yes. Well to me the selling point of GR series was never image quality, but the excellent control and customization, which no phone nor the most of other cameras in the same tier can match. I bought my GRD IV last year and I really like it and bring it everywhere. I wish the APS GRs can be smaller but you can't have it all.

When it comes to compact cameras, You are not doing anything wrong with the Ricoh GR II.

It is very small and yet features an APS-C sensor with excellent image quality for the price. Since You are looking for a compact camera I guess You are also fine without a viewfinder.

According to the rumor sites, a new GR is coming in September. No real info on what to expect on specifications. Fact is, the GR is such a mature product it's gonna be hard to top what it already is. You start adding features, you probably have to increase the real estate to accommodate the additions thus making it less pocketable. Adding a 24MP sensor is probably a sure thing but that probably won't improve image quality a lot over the 16MP already used.

I do hope Ricoh seals the camera better against dust. I've not had any issues with mine but complaints about dust on the sensor are common.

Won't hurt if they put weather sealing and contemporary AF capability in the new camera. The original could barely focus on it own in subdued light.

According to the rumor sites, a new GR is coming in September. No real info on what to expect on specifications. Fact is, the GR is such a mature product it's gonna be hard to top what it already is. You start adding features, you probably have to increase the real estate to accommodate the additions thus making it less pocketable. Adding a 24MP sensor is probably a sure thing but that probably won't improve image quality a lot over the 16MP already used.

I do hope Ricoh seals the camera better against dust. I've not had any issues with mine but complaints about dust on the sensor are common.

The GR line has been pretty consistent over the years, so I'm not expecting anything radical. More pixels, faster focus, better ISO performance is about all I want.

I lost my GR and replaced it with an X100F. But I'm going back to the Ricoh when it arrives.

John

Weather seal and dust are the only two negatives I can think of that make me lean towards the X-70. Frankly the iPhone 7 with the right software is looking just as good right now. Bit bigger in one direction, but it a phone, I have to carry a phone.....

B2 (;->

Won't happen but a GRIII (or X80) without the LCD but with an EVF (or optical VF) would be awesome. I like the actual lens cap on the x70 too, the automatic lens covers don't seem as reliable.

Shawn

Would love a full frame GR but not holding my breath.

Been using my GR II more and more lately and am very happy with the results. Haven't taken my M9 out in awhile, it's starting to feel neglected.

I don't really think cellphone, even the best ones are remotely comparable. The difference in sensor size and quality is night and day if you are printing or viewing at greater than instagram sizes.

........I don't really think cellphone, even the best ones are remotely comparable. The difference in sensor size and quality is night and day if you are printing or viewing at greater than instagram sizes.

Perhaps that's my problem, Instagram sized expectations.

I'm not suggesting that if I went out specifically to take pictures that a good cellphone would be my first choice. I look at this style camera as an every day carry almost everywhere camera. Nick has presented the idea that we should go full frame, everything else is, less.

Frankly I'm ok with less than perfect glass. I prefer good Nikkors and they way they paint. I love the Skopar-Snap-Shot 25 from CV. They may not have more than Instagram specs, to me, that's ok.

B2 (;->

Let's wait for this year's Photokina event. Rumors are saying that Ricoh would officially announce the new generation of their GR line. And Ricoh also set up a new fans website about GR. You can find it online.

I will definitely buy one if they do announce GR III. Would be great if it has a full frame sensor but the price will increase a lot though.

Back