Ricoh GR III?

A cat photo:

1hFN08.jpg

Close up mode (a bit shaky), the touchscreen made it easy to select focus point under such scenario:

1hF7iS.jpg

A cat photo not so properly done at ISO 6400. AF began to falter under this light level.

1hFw1b.jpg

These are excellent. Is this standard JPEG color? If it is, I want the camera.

They are not. Looks like Ricoh has improved its JPEG output (all options are fully customizable now) and I'd very much like to just use the Standard, but since RAW is not fully supported in Lightroom yet I tweaked the default Adobe profiles for these photos to see how malleable the files are.

The pictures in my second post (the one above) are unedited though. I'll post more out-of-camera JPEGs later.

I shot ~600 pictures that afternoon and went through 1 and 1/3 batteries. The temperature was 15-20 degree Celsius so it's doing not too bad - remembering the Sigma DP Merriall's appetite for batteries, I brought 5 in total! I did turn the camera off when not shooting. It turns on very fast should I anticipate a picture.

I've done some unscientific test on AF performance. Looks like the phase detection becomes inactive and the rather slow contrast detection kicks in at around EV3 at ISO100. It would still do OK but will hunt very slowly in case there's not enough contrast. So that's how I'd define the "good light" and "low light" for the camera. In good light, the AF is up to modern standard. Which means it's a blast.

They are not. Looks like Ricoh has improved its JPEG output (all options are fully customizable now) and I'd very much like to just use the Standard, but since RAW is not fully supported in Lightroom yet I tweaked the default Adobe profiles for these photos to see how malleable the files are.

The pictures in my second post (the one above) are unedited though. I'll post more out-of-camera JPEGs later.

Ah thanks, in any case the tones seem very nice. It looks filmlike.

Electrical idiot here. This is a question I would have asked my uncle, but he passed away in November.

Have the GRiii in and love the image quality thus far. I am, however, very disappointed with the accessory "charger" BJ-11. Nothing like the BJ-6 that I have used for years to charge my Ricoh GR batteries, this new "charger" requires an AC adapter or the cameras charger and cable to work. $50 and only 1/3 of a charger. The BJ-6 has a fold out 2-prong plug, super compact and eminently functional.

Output specs for the BJ-11 are 4.2 V 0.9A. Specs for the old BJ-11 are 4.2V 0.8A. The new battery fits in the old charger and the contacts appear to line up. Can I use the old charger to fill the new battery? Or is that slightly lower average going to be a problem. I have a feeling it may just charge more slowly?

Batteries and charger

Batteries and charger

Apparently, the GR III uses the same batteries as some Olympus Tough cameras (LI-90B / LI-92B).

Here's a brand I'd used for my GR and been pretty happy with:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LXWO34

And another one that requires an AC adapter but can charge 2 batteries at once:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01192141Q/

AFAIK, Ricoh doesn't "chip" their batteries as some companies do, so the camera shouldn't complain that they are not "genuine".

Electrical idiot here. This is a question I would have asked my uncle, but he passed away in November.

Have the GRiii in and love the image quality thus far. I am, however, very disappointed with the accessory "charger" BJ-11. Nothing like the BJ-6 that I have used for years to charge my Ricoh GR batteries, this new "charger" requires an AC adapter or the cameras charger and cable to work. $50 and only 1/3 of a charger. The BJ-6 has a fold out 2-prong plug, super compact and eminently functional.

Output specs for the BJ-11 are 4.2 V 0.9A. Specs for the old BJ-11 are 4.2V 0.8A. The new battery fits in the old charger and the contacts appear to line up. Can I use the old charger to fill the new battery? Or is that slightly lower average going to be a problem. I have a feeling it may just charge more slowly?

It's gonna charge slower but as long as you don't go over the maximum current and voltage stated on the battery (1.8A, 4.25V), you'd be fine.

I use the double charger - 0.73A for each battery and there's no problem.

The tonal rendering looks really good in all your pictures posted. For example, I'm not seeing the harsh highlights or lack of dynamic range I would normally expect from the GR2, and many of the photos are in low light but don't have the noise or blur I would expect from the Gr2. From DPR testing the GR3 seems to have about a one stop noise advantage over the GR2, which isn't that much, so I was wondering if you did anything special with settings?

With the GR2, I often cannot get pleasing color no matter what; I can recognize good color but can't produce it for some reason. So I have to compliment you on your Lightroom skills.

I've had my GR 3 for three weeks now. Quick focus in good light, very sharp lens, a useful crop mode that gives you 15mp 35mm-crop photos, and excellent exposure. Plus the good Ricoh ergonomics, snap focus, etc. Looking forward to the Lightroom update for the GR 3 so I can see the colours the way they were meant to be.

A couple of recent shots from London:

20190404-R0000108-XL.jpg

20190405-R0000163-XL.jpg

Cheers,
Kirk

Firmware 1.10 was just released:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/gr3_s.html

It's supposed to improve AF in low-light and low-contrast. I can't see too much of a difference yet, but it does seem there is some improvement. In real use, I don't think it was bad to begin with until it got VERY dark.

The Image Sync app also works now for file transfer (if you have the new firmware), but remote control and Bluetooth are coming in a later update.

I think it made a big improvement in lower light focusing. Once it started hunting before it got really slow and took seconds to focus. Now it focus in a quarter of a second in low light (Ev 1.6ish... 1/30, ISO8000, f2.8) as long as the indicator is on something with contrast. If you get it hunting it is still slow but seems to move the lens a little faster while hunting.

Shawn

What are you shooting, black panthers in the jungle at night?

Was just a test in subdued lighting indoors.

It will focus in lower light too but it is back to the slower hunting focus. Attached is ISO 80,000 at 1/15 at f2.8 in my basement with the lights out. Converted to B&W as the color was nasty at that ISO.

Shawn

Attachments

• R0000370.jpg
    R0000370.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks.

I'm always curious what people use the ridiculously high ISO settings on modern cameras for. I generally manage to stay below 1600 in most situations I encounter in real life.

Thanks.

I'm always curious what people use the ridiculously high ISO settings on modern cameras for. I generally manage to stay below 1600 in most situations I encounter in real life.

So do I. Looking at my library I have

roughly 86% are <=ISO 1600

roughly 9% from <=ISO 6400 and >ISO 1600

roughly 3% from >ISO 6400 and <=ISO 12800

roughly .01% >ISO 12800 and <=ISO 102400

Usually when I am using high ISO it is indoor sports/action where I'm using a large lens (100-400) and need a fast shutter speed.

With the GR3 I was using ISO6400 at an indoor party where I wanted 1/125 to avoid motion blur during dancing.

Nice to have that option if the camera can deliver at those speeds.

Shawn

Thanks.

Low light situations that require a high shutter speed...

Back