Ricoh GR III?

32739388457_71d6d1f7b3_c.jpg

GRIII DNG in RPP64

Shawn

I think it made a big improvement in lower light focusing.

Yes, I would agree, low light focus is now tolerable, not fast but not the several seconds hunting before the FW upgrade. And you did have to get into extremely low light for it to be a serious issue although decent high ISO and IBIS kind of invites you to shoot in low light :) I'd say I'm pretty happy now with the performance.

-Thomas

Beautiful image.

Seems maybe a little improved over the GR II but it might be RPP64.

I assume this refers to Raw Photo Processor.

Wondering if you can share your workflow. I've played with it a little but never worked it into my process.

32739388457_80ca21a7d3_c.jpg

GRIII DNG in RPP64

Shawn

Beautiful image.

Seems maybe a little improved over the GR II but it might be RPP64.

I assume this refers to Raw Photo Processor.

Wondering if you can share your workflow. I've played with it a little but never worked it into my process.

Thanks, I like how that one turned out.

The camera created JPEG is attached to show the differences in color and tone from RPP64.

I import everything into Lightroom. If I have a file I want to check out in RPP64 I either use the RPP64 Plugin to Export -> Open in RPP (original DNG) or I just right click on the DNG in LR and "Show In Finder" and drag and drop the DNG onto my RPP64 icon.

From there it is just editing the DNG as I want and then saving the file. I have RPP64 set to save in the original files location.

Back in Lightroom in the Library view I just right click on the folder I was working in and "Synchronize Folder" and LR will see the RPP64 created file and add it to the library. Pretty easy for occasional use with RPP64.

If I had a bunch of files I might batch them all before LR but haven't really done much of that with RPP64.

For this image I didn't do much.

Set the TrueFilm Simulation to LF (Ektar)
WB Auto
Exposure +0.20
unchecked Blur Chroma
Sharpness +5
Local Contrast +5
Interp = VCDMF (if you don't click this you get half size files)

I think everything else was at default.

If you haven't used the Truefilm simulations in RPP64 you should spend some time with them. LF is my favorite but V50 (Velvia) and K64 (Kodachrome) can be really nice too.

BTW, the developers of RPP64 *never* update their website. The download link there is to a very old version of the software. They link the newest version on their support forum.

Hope this helps,

Shawn

Attachments

• R0000366.jpg
    R0000366.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
Dropped my GR III last month! It fell out from a Ricoh GC-5 case (no wonder these have a bad reputation) for about 1 ft onto the tabletop, which broke the SR mechanism. The camera would make loud, ominous whirs and clicks with stabilization turned on.

Took it to the Ricoh Pentax repair center in Shanghai. The girl couldn't hide her surprise since many were still waiting for their copies. Picked it up 3 weeks later, which was last Saturday, gladly found it was eligible for warranty repair although it was certainly my fault.

Lessen learnt: never, ever drop yours since it's even more delicate than previous GRs. And never trust the Ricoh cases.

On the trip home I took the camera and a flash for a quick stroll through the nearby Tianzifang. The place had gone full touristy in the past decade. Still quite interesting since it's now buzzing with a rather different population.

All are out-of-camera JPEGs with minimal editing.

1xwDRP.jpg

1xw96W.jpg

1xwsV8.jpg

1xwtBL.jpg

1xwGf1.jpg

1xwMMj.jpg

1xwJAo.jpg

1xwPjC.jpg

1xwcEb.jpg

1xwhVN.jpg

Fun series...

My III comes this Tuesday,end of day~ Iam ready and waiting to explore 28mm, 50 crop mode and all Miss 3 has to offer ;)

Fun series...

My III comes this Tuesday,end of day~ Iam ready and waiting to explore 28mm, 50 crop mode and all Miss 3 has to offer ;)

Have fun Helen, I was able to get one and a half weeks ago when I was in NYC. So far, I like it...

A few From Santiago on my first day out with it...

60121788_10214016592793355_4673291938399518720_o.jpg

60306445_10214016567712728_3513912005570330624_o.jpg

60106702_10214001855864941_8845827592444444672_o.jpg

Wow John, those last two are killer shots, love it !

Sorry I missed You and the Missus... you kept it quiet i guess, NYC i mean.

I was asked earlier on the thread how life was with the FujiX100F and all I can say is the MP240 has not been out once. As much as I enjoy the MP240 and rangefinder focusing, the X100F is amazing, especially the auto flash fill with the between the lens shutter.

I would probably enjoy the GR3 just as much but I owned the original X100 and really liked it. I just found a used wide angle aux lens for $250 so I have the equivalent of 28 FOV. I am giving serious thought to just taking the X100F on my around the world trip in October.

Wow, J posted three pictures!!! :)

I've posted a lot in the past... just mostly in Fuji lens threads that you don't look at.

Helen... thanks. Honestly, both of my parents died within three weeks of each other (I'm ok though) so that is why I was in NYC and keeping it quiet.

I am giving serious thought to just taking the X100F on my around the world trip in October.

Haha, it's funny. I've used either a X100 variant or a GR variant as my small camera for many years. Before that I used Leica Ms. Honestly, the M was the worst camera for my photography I've ever used. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. They are wonderful cameras, but I've found that small AF cameras with high ISO are best for my needs.

Oh I am so sorry John. My heartfelt condolences.
Wishing You strength and light during these trying times.
xo~ H

Like these last two, especially the brownish tones. Kinda Portra-esque. Sorry for your loss(es).

Used my GR 2 quite a bit in Japan for street photos and while I don't feel a need for the 3, I'm very impressed with how well it worked and how flexible the RAW files are in terms of recovering detail in both the highlights and shadows and it's all around usability. Inspired me to use it more at home as well.

For anyone in NY that wants to try one, Ricoh has a fan event coming up June 1:

https://www.grblog.jp/en/article/2105/

I'm going (unless it's a beach day).

Back