W/NW: Lighthouses

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, Bermuda - 2014 (Canon S90)

7C641AD7-E7C7-4371-A92F-0F0CE3C9463A_1_105_c.jpeg

"The optic consists of a Fresnel lens from 1904 revolving on steel bearings. However, for most of its history, the lens revolved on a bed of 1,200 pounds of mercury." - Wikipedia
401D0087-61D3-40D3-BB61-C9B9F675AEB8_1_105_c.jpeg

"The lighthouse has 185 steps to the top in eight flights." - Wikipedia
7466BE24-45E0-4D99-BC31-4788CD9394AB_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Cape San Blas up in the Florida panhandle - A good friend wanted a photo of this lighthouse, so while I was camped nearby, I set up camera on tripod and got ready for sunset by sitting in a camp chair with a bottle of wine. I was sure there would be some combination of sunset light and the beam that would make the photo as I envisioned it. I made a few photos as the sun was setting while waiting for the light to come on. Almost an hour after the last rays of sunlight and most of the wine gone, I learned the lighthouse had been decommissioned years earlier. Thanks to Photoshop, that beam from the lighthouse appeared after I returned home.

Cape-San-Blas-lighthouse-AL.jpg

White Lighthouse​
DSC00110.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

Sony A7III, Sigma 90mm f2.8 lens
Sony in camera B&W JPEG
Yokohama, Japan - June 2023
Image is lower resolution than original​

Ludington, MI. This lighthouse has a pronounced "lean" to it, due to settlement over the years. Add in the fact that it's base is so oddly shaped (it is shaped like a wedge to help resist damage from ice sheets) it seems there aren't any straight lines on it at all!

kYccDv.jpg

Maybe so, but your horizon is perfectly level!

The image is outstanding! Well done!

All the best,
Mike
Thanks, fortunately that horizon was there because without it I am sure I would have had the whole thing crooked! Easily fixed nowadays with digital but it always bugged me when I'd get my slides back and there would be some that were crooked...

Back