W/NW: Lighthouses

Brad Bireley

Well-known
Local time
7:14 AM
img841aWEBA.jpg

Bodie Island Lighthouse, Outerbanks, NC

Here is one not too far from where I live, which is in (yeah, I know, go figure!) eastern Nebraska! :)

Attachments

• lb1w.jpg
    lb1w.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
dmr said:
Here is one not too far from where I live, which is in (yeah, I know, go figure!) eastern Nebraska! :)

"d" do you know the story for this lighthouse. Is it on a river or is it a curiosity?

jan normandale said:
"d" do you know the story for this lighthouse.

Yeah, sortakinda. :)

Is it on a river or is it a curiosity?

Yes and yes. :)

It's an iconic landmark, and yes, just off the river, but never intended as a navigation light. When it's lighted (last time I drove by there at night it was dark) it's quite dim, actually. It's just northeast of the town of Ashland, Nebraska.

It marks Linoma Beach, which is a good size artificial sand beach surrounding a lake that was once an estuary of the river. This dates from shortly after WWII, IIRC.

The name (LinOma) comes from the fact that it's just about at the midpoint between Lincoln and Omaha on route 6.

They are now marketing it as a "water park" and booking it for private parties and such. Until recently they had a fairly decent restaurant adjoining the lake, and were known locally for huge lob-stahs and huge prime rib cuts at the lowest prices around. They closed the restaurant last year, but I think the bar is still open.

There's a housing development just north of there called "Beacon View", with backyard channels out into the river for boating.

That photo was from 2005. The last time I drove by there (it's on the old highway and I don't go that way that often) it was in sad shape. One of the sides had a big hole in it and it looked like it was about ready to fall apart. :(

In case you're curious, I'm attaching a screen print of the Google map. The shadow of the lighthouse is just above the "Air Park Drive" label.

Attachments

• linomamap.jpg
    linomamap.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0
A lot of the whimisical things built in the 30's 40's and 50's seem to be figuratively approaching the end of the line. Nice to have a shot of it for a memento. Thanks for the map!

Two close to my home...

Two close to my home...

on Lake Erie.

Attachments

• Prtrtlgths.jpg
    Prtrtlgths.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 030205124.jpg
    030205124.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
A lighthouse in the middle of Brisbane and a lightship, both at the now Maritime Museum. The lightship was put in the drydock from Moreton Bay (close to the river) and the lighthouse served a useful life when the river traffic was much busier. The light would hardly be visible against the city lights nowadays.
More whimsy

Murray
Brisbane, Oz

Attachments

• Southbank09.jpg
    Southbank09.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Lightship.jpg
    Lightship.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No, it is in Maine just north of Booth Bay Harbour, and too early in the morning for me to remember...... off to google, be back in a second.

One in the north...

One in the north...

Muckle Flugga Lighthouse, Unst, Shetland. Britain's northernmost lighthouse, built by Robert Louis Stevenson's uncle.
gerry

Attachments

• muckleflugga3.jpg
    muckleflugga3.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
2 more.
Cabo S. Vincente - Portugal, Sagres. Prince Henri the Navigator watched as his ships sailed to discover the world. It was the reference point of all Portugese maps.

The other is C Leuwin in Western Australia. The light the old mariners hoped to see before landfall after battling the Roaring 40's from C of Good Hope on the long haul from Europe. Very bleak the day we were there, nearly blown over by the wind.

Murray
Brisbane, Oz

Attachments

• Cabo_S_Vincente.jpg
    Cabo_S_Vincente.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 0
  • C_Leuwin.jpg
    C_Leuwin.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
Here is the Cape Hateras lighthouse before it was re-located. This was taken in 1970.

Jim N.

Attachments

• Cape Hatteras Light House 1970.jpg
    Cape Hatteras Light House 1970.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
Back