Voigtlander Nokton 50mm F1, Test Photos, Comparisons, and Discussion.

Nokton 50mm F1.0 Flare Test: at Dusk, sunlight shining into the lens.

F1.0-

F1.4-

F2.0

F2.8

All hand-held.

I will not be doing this test with my 1932 Sonnar.

Backlit at Sunset.

F1.0

Late Day sun reflecting off the leaves on the ground- At F1.0, pointed into direction of the Sun.

L1023776.jpg

This lens combines the best of modern optical technology with traditional mechanical design. This is one of the best lenses you can buy. It is sharp and contrasty and ready to go at F1.0. The Bokeh is smooth. Stopping down increases DOF nicely, background comes into definition gracefully. I see no focus shift in practical use. At some point, will mount on a tripod and do a more formal test- BUT, my normal walking around tests shows nothing of concern.

All pictures on the M9. It was windy today. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow with the M Monochrom as well. That means taking the APO Lanthar 50/2 off of it.

Batteries charged, lenses mounted, bag is packed. Hopefully get out tomorrow to put through some paces.

Backlit at Sunset.

F1.0

Late Day sun reflecting off the leaves on the ground- At F1.0, pointed into direction of the Sun.

This lens combines the best of modern optical technology with traditional mechanical design. This is one of the best lenses you can buy. It is sharp and contrasty and ready to go at F1.0. The Bokeh is smooth. Stopping down increases DOF nicely, background comes into definition gracefully. I see no focus shift in practical use. At some point, will mount on a tripod and do a more formal test- BUT, my normal walking around tests shows nothing of concern.

All pictures on the M9. It was windy today. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow with the M Monochrom as well. That means taking the APO Lanthar 50/2 off of it.

I am glad that I have bought such a lens. I love 50mm lenses, so a modern and special 50/1.0 is a lens that I wanted for some time, but the Noctilux is too expensive for me.

Nokton f/1.1 vs. 40mm f/1.2 vs. 50mm Asph Summilux vs. Collapsible Summicron all wide-open and f/2.8 here (#141-ff). Sorry about the "click-bait", but it seemed most appropriate to post these in a thread dedicated to the 50mm Nokton f/1.1.

I am glad that I have bought such a lens. I love 50mm lenses, so a modern and special 50/1.0 is a lens that I wanted for some time, but the Noctilux is too expensive for me.

It's probably the equal or better, of the 50/0.95; there's an updated 50 Noctilux rumored to be just around the corner.

Raspy English guy talking about something vs models, models, models.

I think I'm with you on this one

James, I was kidding on this. I do appreciate Osborne's reviews and discussions. Granted there is some nice flesh in some of the videos but that is what he does for a living and how he uses his cameras. To me, and this may not be you or any other person, he seems to be making a sincere and knowledgeable effort to study and explain the gear he is highlighting. On top of that he also captures some good images, models or otherwise. A little pulchritude now and again won't offend me.

I wanted Zeiss to release a ZM 50mm f1.0. Ideally state of the art optics, a max weight of 550g, and focused cliser than 1M, say 85cm as nailling the focus at 70cm may be a stretch. Zeiss no longer seem to be doing ZM Lenses, leaving VM lenses the msin opposition to Leica.
The Nokton is state of the art lens with internal close focus correction, less than 500g and focuses closer than 1M. I have no excuses, so have just ordered one. Should be here tommorrow.
This will be my fast fifty, one and a sixth stops faster than my f1.5 sonnar, and a hell of a lot smaller and lighter than the 50mm f0.95 beasts out there.

Voigtlander 50mm F1.0 Nokton, wide-open on the M Monochrom. Lighting is by "Disco Lights", low-light.
G1023775.jpg G1023735.jpg G1023792.jpg G1023770.jpg

Back