Voigtlander Nokton 50mm F1, Test Photos, Comparisons, and Discussion.

Give us your own feelings on each of these three lenses. I may think "have I goofed by not buying the CV 50/1.2?"

or maybe, "is there something special about the CV 50/1.2 or 50/1.1?"

I have the 1.1 but not the 1.2.

"SO- this weekend, I look forward to taking the M9 out with the 50/1.0, 50/1.1, and 50/1.2 Noktons! If I take the M Monochrom, I'll process the DNG files using my Fortran-77 code. Written using the Watcom v2 Fortran-77 Compiler. I've disassembled some older Fortran compilers to correct a couple of bugs in them. I'm comfortable in Fortran."

Give us your own feelings on each of these three lenses. I may think "have I goofed by not buying the CV 50/1.2?"

or maybe, "is there something special about the CV 50/1.2 or 50/1.1?"

I have the 1.1 but not the 1.2.

I think you can "get by" with the 50/1.0 and 50/1.1...

Think of the 50/1.0 as a Modern Super-Speed fast and sharp, and the 50/1.1 as a re-issue of a 50/1.0 Noctilux. The 50/1.2- Fast and Sharp, and you have it covered. For me: it uses 52mm filters, I have full sets for my M Monochrom.

Back to C++. Figured out why the GNU compiler refused to allow a string in a struct even though <string> was in the code, must have "using namespace std;" first. But not required for Watcom.

Think of C++ like using a Voigtlander Prominent. You should not set the speed to 1/500th second until after winding the camera. All other speeds, does not matter.
And of course, I have my 50/1.5 Nokton on the Prominent. Might have to bring it along with the adapter for the M9.

Since the CV 50/1 already covers "fast and sharp", and hence, the CV 50/1.2 may not be needed. I agree.
The 50/1.5 original Nokton for the Prominent is a great portrait lens. Just sharp enough to render portraits very nicely.

Redundancy... Five is Two, Two is One, and One is None. That's it, I am fault-tolerant on Fast Noktons and I have The M8, M9, and M Monochrom to use.

The 50/1.2 focuses to 0.7m By the time I got some good use on mine, the RFF forum software switched over. I need to do a thread on the 50/1.2. By the time things were stable- the 50/1.0 was out and I have one of the first ones.

The 50/1.2 focuses to 0.7m By the time I got some good use on mine, the RFF forum software switched over. I need to do a thread on the 50/1.2. By the time things were stable- the 50/1.0 was out and I have one of the first ones.

Was puzzled at how quickly the ƒ/1,2 was replaced by an ƒ/1,0, and why.

Why Cosina replaced the 50/1.2 with an F1.0?

Sometimes you let the Engineers have some fun and let them show what they can do. The 50mm F1.0 has multiple aspheric optics, exotic glass, and a floating element- much like the best that Leica has to offer. Same with the Nikon Z-Mount 50/0.95- Huge! Cosina brings out a 50/1.0 that is smaller and at a fraction of the cost, and has top-notch performance. And NO chips! Avoids the world-wide chip shortage.

Myself- Photography and playing around with lenses is my hobby, Taking apart basket case vintage lenses and leaving them off better than when I got them- it's a tangible accomplishment, relaxing- like people that Knit. Buying a lens like this one- I'm an Engineer, have worked in Optical Sciences for 40+ years, and I just appreciate the work that went into it.

For anyone looking for the "Best Bang for the Buck"- look at the "Mint with Box" 50/1.2 Noktons at $699. Not much more than a clean Canon 50/1.2. Some customers must be trading them in for the "Fastest with the Mostest". My 501/.2 Nokton will not be available!

Want the fastest, high quality optics, built well, focus spot-on out of the box, no fuss, no muss- and don't want to spend over $10,000 on it: This $1800 50mm F1.0 is the one.

And to add: I was puzzled as to why the 50/1.1 Nokton was not an aspherical design. The LTM 50/1.5 is Aspherical, and is a great performer. I came to believe that Mr. K wanted his version of a 50/1.0 Noctilux.

... Think of the 50/1.0 as a Modern Super-Speed fast and sharp, and the 50/1.1 as a re-issue of a 50/1.0 Noctilux. The 50/1.2- Fast and Sharp, and you have it covered. ...
I loved the bokeh produced by the f/1 Noctilux; conversely, I could never get along with the bokeh produced by the f/1.1 Nokton, which is harsh and edgy by comparison (not to mention the focus shift issue). I own the 40mm Nokton f/1.2 and find the bokeh very pleasing. In fact, the only reason I don't own the 50mm f/1.2 is because I already own the 40mm f/1.2, which is supposed to render - if not identically - nearly identically.

I sincerely hope you can prove me wrong. Maybe I had bad examples (but three of them?).

Focus shift: I added one strip of copper tape to the RF cam of the 50/1.1 Nokton and 35/1.2 Nokton for use with my M9 and M Monochrom. Figured the lenses were optimized for Bessa film cameras at that time, and know that the CCD required different optimization from the other lenses that I shim. The Copper tape is about 0.08mm, corrects for back-focus. If the Nokton had back-focus at F1.1, will be much worse at F4. Move the focus up a bit, DOF does a better job covering it.

One of the few tripod mounted tests wide-open,
50mm F1.1 Nokton, wide-open on the M Monochrom:

Nokton5-F1p1.jpg

and at F4,

Nokton5-F4.jpg

Focus is on the side-entrnce, where the edge meets the wall, of Gunston Hall.

I'm used to Sonnar Focus Shift. The Shift on the Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5 is much more than this lens.
Again- within 10 minutes of having the lens out of the Box almost 12 years ago and testing it on the M8: I added the layer of copper tape.

Nokton 50mm F1.1, close-up.

Nokton-F1p1.jpg

At F4,

NoktonF4.jpg

Nokton 50/1.1 Wide-Open on the M9, 1/25th second shutter speed.

L1009163.jpg

Stopped Down, F2.

L1009158.jpg

Tried to pick a shot with busy back-ground, and a quickly focused shot stopped down to F2- I'm riding in the model train.

Over-corrected for spherical aberration, some residual astigmatism: but managed. I've seen a lot worse! Nothing like a Summitar or Helios.
Focus-Shift: Examples here at F1.1, F2, and F4. That would be the worst of it.

I changed the title of this thread as there is a lot of discussion and comparisons with other lenses.
I'll be using the Three Noktons, especially as it is warming up, sun coming out, and getting past Exam Week.
I like these lenses. I don't have to be practical, this is my Hobby, it's a lot cheaper than buying expensive cars, planes, or motorcycles. Takes up less room.

The Voigtlander Nokton 50mm F1.2, wide-open and 1/25th second.

L1023429.jpg

And the Required close-up, wide-open, Fall Foliage Bokeh Shot...

L1023344.jpg

So? What does all this mean?

I will not buy a second 50/1.2 Nokton Mint in Box for $699 even though I have money burning a hole through my Paypal Pocket from my last lens sale AFTER paying for the 50/1.0.

To my eye, the Nokton f/1.2 images are much more pleasing compared to the f/1.1 Nokton.

It is much smoother, aspherical optics reduces the spherical aberration that causes the donuts in the out-of-focus areas.

The 50/1.1 is tame compared with my Canon 50/0.95.

It's tame compared with my Canon 50/1.2. The First 50/1.2 Lens for 35mm Full-Frame.

Canon 50/1.2, wide-open on the M9. This one is from 1957, has perfect glass.

L1021216.jpg

L1021245.jpg

The 50/1.1 seems to be a copy of an old model Noctilux. The 50 1.2 has aspherical elements. It is a sharper lens.
I have a hard time seeing the relationship between the f/1 Noctilux and f/1.1 Nokton as being equal other than both not having aspherical elements. The signatures are very different to my eyes. The Nokton f/1.2 is indeed sharper than either and - even with it's aspherical elements - has more pleasing bokeh compared to the Nokton f/1.1. At least that's my opinion.

I have a hard time seeing the relationship between the f/1 Noctilux and f/1.1 Nokton as being equal other than both not having aspherical elements. The signatures are very different to my eyes. The Nokton f/1.2 is indeed sharper than either and - even with it's aspherical elements - has more pleasing bokeh compared to the Nokton f/1/1. At least that's my opinion.

In my eyes the Nokton f1.1 is at full aperture the sharpest lens. Brian says - and I agree with him - that the f1.1 is over-corrected for sperical abbaration. The Noctilux 50mm f1 is less sharp, but somehow it creates more powerful images. The images have a strong "plastic" (3D) effect. This may be due to a less strong correction of the spherical abbaration.

Erik.

I did a comparison of the Nikon Df and M Monohcrom for high-ISO noise, and such. Put the Nikkor 50mm F1.2 Ais on the Df and the Nokton 50/1.1 on the Monochrom. Easy to remember which lens was used

Nokton 50/1.1 Wide-Open on the M Monochrom..

L1006582.jpg

Nikkor 50/F1.2 Ais on the Df, wide-open.
DSC-7884.jpg

All hand-held, tried to duplicate the shots for each camera.

Back