Travel Advice: Keep It Simple, Stupid...

urban_alchemist

Well-known
Local time
10:26 AM
So, I'm all booked up.

At the end of January, me and my girlfriend are heading off to Argentina, and I'm trying to work out what kit to take so that I can arrange travel insurance. So... I'm a bit stuck, as I've narrowed down the kit, but it just seems a bit... much. And yet when I try to cut down, I can't...

So here it is:

1. We'll be heading to the amazon jungle, the Andes and the glaciers and lakes of Patagonia. These are all once-in-a-lifetime landscapes which necessitates panoramas: so into the bag goes the Xpan.

2. We're trecking through the Andes, staying in remote villages, as well as the big cities of Argentina and Uruguay. That means daylight street shooting: so into the bag goes the MP-3 with the 50 + 35 Summiluxes and a stack of Portra 160NC.

3. We're night-owls, which means bars, tangos, and midnight walks in remote villages: into the bag goes the MP, Noctilux and Neopan 1600 and Fuji Pro800Z.

4. Sometimes you don't want to carry something as large and heavy as a rangefinder, and want a wide lense: Into the bag goes a Ricoh GR1s with Kodak 400NC.

5. And what if you're heading out somewhere dodgy, at night, but still want to take a camera? In goes the Minolta TC-1 for use with the MP's Neopan and Pro800Z.

So that's five cameras. I know its too much, but I can't seem to cut it down. :( Any new set of eyes appreciated: what can I cull, or should I just reconcile myself to a broken back...

LOL...

What ever happened to the mantra, "It's not the camera...etc...";)

Just take the MP and a range of lenses...

Panos can be stitched together in digital later. Night shots can be done with the right lenses and film.

At least with one camera body and a few lenses your relationship with your girl friend is more likely to survive than to have her playing the role as a sherpa!:D:D:D

Decisions, decisions, decisions...good luck deciding and enjoy the trip!

LOL...

What ever happened to the mantra, "It's not the camera...etc...";)

Just take the MP and a range of lenses...

You see you say that, and part of it is true: I happily trecked around Japan with just a compact and the MP with three lenses. I never once wished I had another camera (although I sometimes wished I had a different film loaded). But then the GAS took hold, and I ended up buying stuff for 'that' moment - moments which are inevitable on the trip.

And now... I just can't seem to reconcile myself to passing up that 'once' shot!

I've already ruled out the MediumFormat (although if I had an SWC I'd probably be making an argument for that too)...

Grrrr... All too complicated (and much of it a result of this godforsaken place)!!!

I would say the obvious overlap is the two M bodies. Can't you do street shooting with the MP? And a 50mm Summilux won't be fast enough for you with 800 and 1600 film? Taking out the M3 and the Noctilux would cut down on the gear by quite a bit, I would say.

Having seen photos from Patagonia I think the XPAN is a great choice. Yes you can stitch later but I think you'd enjoy using the XPAN more. Plus it could be your backup film rangefinder later in the trip.

Two bodies. You'll want an incident light meter. Lens kit consisting of 15, 21, 35, and 90.
Table top tripod. This can be hand pushed against a wall, tree, ceiling, etc. The Nocti weighs too much for the limited use it'll get. Your list would bankrupt National Geographic. You started out extolling the virtues of KISS and ended up with a bad case of GAS? This is probably the ONLY time I'd ever suggest this, but limit yourself to TWO films, one high speed (800?) and one lower speed (200 is fine). Buy AMATEUR color film like Kodak Gold. It's more forgiving of the color temperature of the light, the heat and humidity of the Amazon, etc. than the "pro" films. Scan and convert to B&W where needed. You're going to scan anyway, right?

Don't forget, your girlfriend is going to need to get her hair and nails done between hikes in the mountains and jaunts in the swamps (bring mosquito repellent). In the city she's going to find several simply MUST HAVE bags and shoes. It's better to bring make-up and nail polish, etc. than risk trying to find it locally. More important really than film!

The stitching plan sound like they way forward: a few years ago I had a full x-pan outfit inclding 30mm, but for scanning I used a 4000ED 35mm scanner and jointed two half frames together. Software CS3/PTGui etc. now seems more than good enough now to merge two or more overlapped even handheld frames.

My extended cycling trip next year to NZ will be with 2xM6, 15 VC, 28'cron, 50'lux.
Film is going to be Ektar 100 + NPZ/800Z or solely NPH/400H ( depending on how the test rolls of Ektar turn out ).

Both bodies will have the same film loaded - I hate changing lenses too often.

Maybe the same would work for you ?

You got more eqpt than sense right now. You really only need two bodies at most. The xpan for landscape and daylight street photography and an MP + 35lux for low light photography. A ricoh for backup, ie when you are out shopping, not shooting.

Trust me, too much eqpt hinders output.

Definitely take the Xpan. MP-3 plus 50mm Summilux. Minolta TC-1 can double as your main wide angle too.

Question: Why both Ricoh GR1s and the TC-1? Don't they both have 28mm lenses? Are you pulling our legs?

MP + 50mm OR 35mm Summilux (depending on what you prefer), and if the camera fails buy some cheap disposible. :) Alternatively, ONLY the XPAN...

5 cameras and that many lenses? Why stubborn? Go with a DSLR + 18-200.

Or if you're a real man, go with one camera + two lens selection.

Minolta TC-1 can double as your main wide angle too.

I thought about this...

Question: Why both Ricoh GR1s and the TC-1? Don't they both have 28mm lenses? Are you pulling our legs?

To load each with a different film. The Ricoh for daylight (400H/400NC) and the TC-1 for night (Neopan1600 or pushed 800Z - great with the spot-meter).

Alternatively, ONLY the XPAN...
I would, at least for one of the Ms, but my local lab will only scan XPan negatives if the whole film is the same format (either completely 35mm, or completely panorama) which cuts down the flexibility alot. And to top it off, there's the question of the slow lense...

I am leaning towards dropping one of the compacts and the MP-3 (maybe the TC-1 and the GR1 was a bit of overkill). The MP is easily replaceable should it get stolen, and if I plan a bit ahead, using it with the 50/50/35 and two film-types (probably 160NC + 800Z) should be flexible enough.

Then load the TC-1 and Xpan with 400NC/400H...

Although maybe 400H would be better all-purpose (it pushes nicely)...

Damn the decisions!!!

Last edited:
I tend to take WAY too much gear with me as well when I travel but I have become a bit better over time. I would do the following:

- Cut down to three bodies, the 2 MPs and the Ricoh. You can keep the MPs loaded with high/low ISO films respectively and you'll have a backup in case the inevitable "problem" arises at the worst time possible.

- Take the Ricoh, leave the TC-1 at home. The snap mode on the Ricoh, combined with its rock solid build, will let you get the job done. I had both the GR1V and the GR21, both were great travel cameras.

- Lens choice. Unlike many I would take the Noct plus a small conventional 50 (Elmar M, new maybe). The Noct, though heavy, is such a unique tool that I can never leave it at home. I would also toss a 35 in the bag plus a 90 or 135 (you never know when you might need the reach). 28mm would be covered by your GR1V.

So...3 bodies, 4 lenses. Tough to leave the X-Pan but I agree with a posted above, you could do digital stitching with shots from your MP3 (by the way, I love the black version of that camera!).

Enjoy your trip, it sounds like quite an adventure!

Kent

Unlike many I would take the Noct plus a small conventional 50 (Elmar M, new maybe).

The Noct is a non-negotiable. Some of my most enjoyable excursions have been wandering the streets at night with this lense.

Tough to leave the X-Pan but I agree with a posted above

I've never used the XPan for 'that' shot. I think it'll have to come.

Take the Ricoh, leave the TC-1 at home. The snap mode on the Ricoh, combined with its rock solid build, will let you get the job done. I had both the GR1V and the GR21, both were great travel cameras.

The Ricoh is a great little camera, but it has one serious problem and one less problematic. As mine is the GR1s, the viewfinder isn't lit, making it very difficult to use at night. Secondly, as there is no DX override, there is no way to manually set ISO as there is with TC-1 (great for pushing 800Z to 1600 for those night-time "crap, the Noctilux is at the hotel" shots)...

MP3 (by the way, I love the black version of that camera!)

Mine's the chrome :)

Last edited:
I thought you were going to take your Pen Ft along. Take that little Pen kit, the Noct, MP and Xpan. The Pen can take the place the the digicam.

(Of course I have shot with none of these because I am still waiting for my Pen kit from overhaul, so take my advice for the breath of air it is worth) ;-)

Last edited:
I don't know what works best for you, but I can share with you what I took with me on an important middle east trip for me and my family.

1. Canon P plus Canon 28mm/3.5 and 50mm/1.4 as my main set.
2. Graflex XLSW MF camera for special times
3. Contax T2 as my pocket camera.

I am very pleased with the outcomes.

Back