Tokyo's Tsukiji fish market off limits from today...

maddoc

... likes film again.
Local time
6:41 PM
... a very popular tourist spot and interesting place for photographers is off limits from today for a certain period of time as I have just learned from the news in the Japanese TV. :( They stopped permit to the auction area because of to much misbehavior of foreign visitors recently, who also refused to follow the orders of the guards. Hopefully it will be only for a short time...

A Japanese TV team actually had documented what had happened, while one guy was kissing a bonito being auctioned (to impress his friends), two other guys had big fun riding on one of the small carts that transport the boxes with fish and when asked by the guards to immediately get off the carts and leave they made some jokes about the guards and simply continued ... :bang:

I couldn't wake up early enough to go on my vacation a few months ago. FYI, my understanding is that they're moving the market to a more suburban location, anyway.

I was lucky enough to go to this place this summer. Not that photog or even tourist friendly place !

2934741813_9d122f9527.jpg

2935598242_e362c81a11.jpg

2934740177_0d3110af51.jpg

2935596900_006b5e6ac6.jpg

2935596164_3a791e5c30.jpg

2935595404_95c3903e62.jpg

2934737117_26d4b11be8.jpg

2935593532_eb3349baff.jpg

2935592702_19cbdf6760.jpg

Here some my old shoots with Contax G2-35/2 & Fuji XTra 400.

sniki

Attachments

• tokyo fish-market_1.jpg
    tokyo fish-market_1.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0
  • tokyo fish-market_2.jpg
    tokyo fish-market_2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • tokyo fish-market_6.jpg
    tokyo fish-market_6.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
Too bad. There must have been other problems. One incident surely wouldn't have caused that reaction. My experience in Korea was that if you were a photog in Korea and took photos back, you got more acceptance. Tourists likely don't have that option, but they do have an option to act decently.

some others more

Attachments

• tokyo fish-market_7.jpg
    tokyo fish-market_7.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • tokyo fish-market_8.jpg
    tokyo fish-market_8.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0
  • tokyo fish-market_9.jpg
    tokyo fish-market_9.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
Tsukiji is a seafood (food) lovers paradise. When I visited about 8 years ago they were already talking about closing it (tourist access that is). You could just walk in there and be careful not to stand in the way otherwise you'd be run over by the carts transporting the fish boxed pile high through the small passage ways.

The behaviour is examplifying the disrespect of (some) tourists for the workers and their goods, the fish and seafood. If you don't have a feeling for the importance of food , especially seafood in Japanese culture you simply don't deserve the experience of the worlds best and largest fish market.

That they put the market off limits for morons like that, at least for a while, is perfectly understandable. You can't allow fools to mistreat fish that might sell for $10,000 (1st grade sushi Tuna) per piece !

Tsukiji is a seafood (food) lovers paradise. When I visited about 8 years ago they were already talking about closing it (tourist access that is). You could just walk in there and be careful not to stand in the way otherwise you'd be run over by the carts transporting the fish boxed pile high through the small passage ways.

The behaviour is examplifying the disrespect of (some) tourists for the workers and their goods, the fish and seafood. If you don't have a feeling for the importance of food , especially seafood in Japanese culture you simply don't deserve the experience of the worlds best and largest fish market.

That they put the market off limits for morons like that, at least for a while, is perfectly understandable. You can't allow fools to mistreat fish that might sell for $10,000 (1st grade sushi Tuna) per piece !

The Seattle fish market is pretty good to photograph. All those 'flying fish'.

The Seattle fish market is pretty good to photograph. All those 'flying fish'.

I haven't been to Seattle (yet) but also visited to Fulton fishmarket in it's old location before the move to the new warehouse. It certainly had some special atmosphere but the dirt and overall location was making it the hands down looser against Tsukiji, no contest - interesting to photograph though ;).

Back