Time for a neck strap vs. wrist strap rant

I have never had a wrist strap so I cannot comment on them, but I do use neck straps and I usually just wrap them around my wrist when I am out shooting.....it works fine for me.....

7188810945_48af9f83e8_b.jpg

cheers, michael

i made a couple of wrist straps to experiment with the x100 and om-1n. when my intent is to shoot, the wrist strap works very, very well. i previously wrapped a neck strap around my forearm.

Gordy wrist strap, nice an soft from extreme usage.
With the accessory grip on a Zeiss Ikon the centered balance point is perfect for long day shooting and virtually no wrist fatigue.

I carry my 35mm cameras only in a camera bag. All have thin home-made wrist straps only.

The wrist straps are for "safety" reasons only. When I pull a camera from the bag my hand first goes through the wrist strap.

Neck strap - around one shoulder if not using camera, twisted around my wrist like a wrist strap if shooting.

I also have a goody's wrist strap I really like - I use it sometimes (especially if I'm using 2 cameras and have the second one in a little domke bag)

Straps ... neck or wrist just don't work for me!

Once I've dropped a camera I may think differently of course! :p

Neckstrap. I hang my camera from my shoulder for transport, and wrap the strap round my wrist while shooting. It never goes around my neck.

I live on the same street as Keith. Many of my photo ops disappear in the time it takes to retrieve a dangling camera.

I think there is no more chance of dropping a camera in ones hand than one secured by a strap. There is nothing unexpected, like a slipping strap, to happen. You know the only thing between your camera and the ground is your hand, so you act accordingly.

Straps ... neck or wrist just don't work for me!

Once I've dropped a camera I may think differently of course! :p

I gave up neck straps when I stopped using a DSLR. Hate them. Gordy straps on my Leicas, smaller wrist straps on my other cameras. If the camera is out, I'm shooting with it and it's at the ready in my hand. Drop it to my side and it practically vanishes, and I can slip it in and out of a bag very quickly if I need discretion or to use both my hands.

I do have quite a good selection of straps in the cupboard ... two Gordy and one Luigi, so I have tried!

I also had two Gordy wrist straps ... but finished up giving them both away!

I have just received some leica goodies finger slings, good. I have some camdaptor handstraps I use over them. All good. I use a sling with my dslrs. Camdaptor as well. I also have a Spider Holster gear for the big gear/ big occasion.

Cheers
Simon

I have neck straps on all my cameras, and wrist straps on none, because
in a pinch one can always convert a neck strap into a wrist strap, but not the other way around.

Think Tank shoulder strap on an M8.2. Like the Domke Gripper, but better quality and grippy surface on both sides where it grips your shoulder.

my long straps are very long, i wear them over the neck, bandolero style and almost always have my hand on the camera grip.

Yup, with my rangefinders and my mirrorless cameras I use a sun sniper compact and remove the shoulder pad. It is basically just a sling. I can hold it in my hand at my side so it is ready for a shot, or I can push it around to my lower back when walking through a crowd.

http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/download/sniper-strap-the-compact-steel-bear.html

Completely indecisive on this one, on RFs. Sometimes I like to use a neck strap and the next moment I'm again swapping it to a wrist strap.

Back