Time for a neck strap vs. wrist strap rant

A neck strap can be either a neck strap, or a wrist strap...you can't say that about a wrist strap.

Also, if you need your hands free you can't do that with a wrist strap but you can with a neck strap.

I rest my case.

I use the silk A&A straps with my the Leica Rangefinders. When the camera is out of the bag it is in my hand 99% of the time with the soft silk strap wrapped around my wrist. This works well for me.

For the Mamiya 7II, I use the strap that came with camera. Once again wrapped around my wrist when the camera is out of the bag. I will look for something more soft in the future for wrist comfort, time and patience for the moment.

I do use the leather strap with the Rollieflex 3.5 around my neck since I am looking down to take the photograph anyway.

So all neck straps but using the majority as wrist straps when camera is out of the bag.

With Mamiya 6 the wrist strap is the preferred way - I would not have the camera hanging around my neck or shoulder when I do not shoot. I use Gordy's strap. It is strong and well done, but the leather is a bit too stiff. But it does not have too much mileage yet, so it may soften with use.

With a TLR it is a neck strap - wrist strap would feel odd to me and the boxy shape of TLR allows it to be cross-carried rather comfortably. Right now I use an old strap from Minolta DSLR, but may follow the GAS and get the double-colored Barton 1972 braided leather strap (they call it Yin Yang). Looks so great.

I do not know what I would use if I were to have something like 645 SLR.

I do not use any strap with my 4x5", the built-in handle does the job ;)

In the city and when on a "Photo mission" a wriststrap, wen I am walking/hiking I carry an old Lowepro belt bag or Ortlieb bag on my belly.
In the kayak it goes in the day hatch in a Pelicase.

5187501090_1ba76a3cfc_b.jpg
[/url]
031_29 by wim_b, on Flickr[/IMG]

I use Gordy's wrist straps on all my cameras, even my gripped DSLR. My camera is either in my shoulder bag or on my wrist. The neck straps are uncomfortable, clumsy, and snag on things. The security of the wrist strap for hanging the camera for a low to the ground angle portrait shot is not something easily achieved with a necker.

I have wrist straps on the Nikon, the Leica, the Fuji, the Hexar because I carry those in a small Domke shoulder bag. (Must use the straps as my hands don't grip like the used to.)
I have a neck strap on the little Panasonic LX3, because I don't use a bag with that - it's my happy snapper !

I use a neck strap as a wrist strap. Just nice to have that bit of wrap. Though I am seriously considering a wrist strap for my Ricoh 500G.

I use a camera strap around my neck on most cameras partly for carrying and for safety reasons. I use the UPstrap straps especially if I have my strap over my shoulder because they really cling very nicely and don't easily slip off. On my Leica II and old folding cameras that don't have strap lugs, I use a wrist strap attached to the tripod mount socket. I am happy with this arrangement. - Jim

I use Gordy's wrist straps on all my cameras, even my gripped DSLR. My camera is either in my shoulder bag or on my wrist. The neck straps are uncomfortable, clumsy, and snag on things. The security of the wrist strap for hanging the camera for a low to the ground angle portrait shot is not something easily achieved with a necker.

I think this is a major point. If I'm already bringing a shoulder bag, I prefer a wrist strap. However, for my daily use of a single camera and lens, I use a neck strap. For me, it is entirely dependent on whether I am bringing a bag with other gear or not.

Y'all know the answer as well as I do--in photography "It Depends". For example, I've never ever thought of using a wrist strap on my TLR, but obviously I could. Bottom line--with a wrist strap you have one hand free--with a neck strap you have two hands free--your choice. Once again-- it depends.

If you've got time to get your camera out of a bag, you've often time to walk home, or at least to the car, and fetch the camera. But if you want to take pictures quickly...

Cheers,

R.

The only wrist strap I have is built into the accessory grip for my Super Graphic. Neck straps only, almost always worn bandolier-style over the body or over one shoulder, never just round the neck.

For taking pictures a Wrist strap. The X100 fits neatly into an old CCS Classic pouch with space for the lens hood in the small fron pocket, and a spare battery, memory card, and cable release in the front flap. It lives there when not in use, and on a long strap cross my shoulder when waqlking around. But for actively 'being a photographer' I keep it in my hand with the wrist strap for security

I have a wrist strap one one, and a neck strap on the other. The wrist strap one is in the bag or in the hand, the neck strap one is around my neck, obviously.

works well when one camera has BW film in it, the other color. Or fast and slow film. Or wide and long lenses. etc.

I usually wrap a neck strap around my wrist, and hold the camera as if I were using a wrist strap. Except when I don't, and use the neck strap as a neck strap.

On what side of the argument does that put me?

...Mike

I used to do the same as Mike above with the Artisan & Artist silk strap, but since getting a Leicavit, I've switched to just using a lovely Luigi wrist strap.

John

Back