That Nikkormat FTn.

On the flip side.... the viewfinder shows only 92% of the image on the film, and the shutter is noisy
Yes, thats true, but the 92% finder is more precise than the Leica M-finder. The M however is less noisy, it's focusing is faster and it's lenses are better. So ...

gelatin silver print (nikkor h auto 50mm f2) nikkormat ftn

Amsterdam, 1974

Erik.

1690231671207.png

Yes, thats true, but the 92% finder is more precise than the Leica M-finder. The M however is less noisy, it's focusing is faster and it's lenses are better. So ...

gelatin silver print (nikkor h auto 50mm f2) nikkormat ftn

Amsterdam, 1974

Erik.

View attachment 4824507
At the same time you can see outside the finder lines on the Leica....which, along with its diminutive size. makes it my 35mm camera of choice....

rearranging my camera collection has unearthed some items long ago put to the back. I knew I had this camera and remember when I got it, thinking I'm not aware of NIKOMAT. At first I thought it was a misprint until I found the reason behind the missing letters. Always intended on using it, but having a FT3 at the time, which was my go to Nikkormat, never have christened it. Beautiful condition and just a joy to look at.
Maybe one day...

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2093.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2093.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 7
I agree with Erik that the Summicron Rigid and Collapsible for that matter are far superior to the Nikkor 50 f2. Apart from the 105 the other lens I enjoy is the 45 2.8 GN. Beautiful tessar character, small and sharp.

Nikkormat FTN Nikkor 45 2.8 GN
(Snapshot of darkroom print)

C3354F89-7332-48BF-BFDF-6DD6BF83136D.jpeg

Not to hijack the thread, I have to ask: what are these instruments? They seem to have conical bore, like a sopranino sax (and unlike a clarinet or recorder), and seem to have a double reed like an oboe.
Good question! I'm not sure if its a double reed or not but certainly a reed of some kind. The body is like a wooden flute for want of a better description. The photo was taken near Alicante Spain.

I still like the black FTN…😃For some reason it always gets used around the holidays.🤷🏼‍♂️

View attachment 4822213
Your Black FTn is beautiful. I have a 1967 Nikomat Chrome FTn, and a 1967 Nikkor 50mm/f1.4. Both make amazing images. That combo travel much with me, and my wheelchair. I have considerable physical challenges of my own. The Smokies are near from Townsend, TN (about 45 minutes drive).

Your Black FTn is beautiful. I have a 1967 Nikomat Chrome FTn, and a 1967 Nikkor 50mm/f1.4. Both make amazing images. That combo travel much with me, and my wheelchair. I have considerable physical challenges of my own. The Smokies are near from Townsend, TN (about 45 minutes drive).
It is a great combo isn’t it?🙂

You are in Townsend? Truly a beautiful part of the world…

We hope to be able to enjoy the area this Fall. I haven’t thought about what gear I will bring with me, though. But I plan to be traveling light!

You have inspired me to work on that. The FTN… probably would be great for walking around Gatlinburg. 😇

@dave lackey, thank you for your kind words! I'm happy to share my photos here and I'm glad you enjoy them.

@Erik van Straten, much appreciated! Based on the serial number link that @Freakscene posted, my Nikkor-H Auto 50mm f/2 non-AI is from around 1968-1971, just a few years younger than your lens. Seems Nikon had a prolific production output in that three year period, producing 198,897 lenses in that batch!
Btw, your work has inspired me in many ways. I now have outfitted a dedicated bag for both the chrome and black FTN cameras with lenses. It’s not heavy at all.

I’m really looking forward to cooler weather and shooting even more film. It makes me smile!🙂

Btw, your work has inspired me in many ways. I now have outfitted a dedicated bag for both the chrome and black FTN cameras with lenses. It’s not heavy at all.

I’m really looking forward to cooler weather and shooting even more film. It makes me smile!🙂
Thank you, @dave lackey, that means a lot. With two FTn cameras, I'm sure you'll have twice the fun!

Thank you, dourbalistair, for this info: "Based on the serial number link that @Freakscene posted, my Nikkor-H Auto 50mm f/2 non-AI is from around 1968-1971, just a few years younger than your lens. Seems Nikon had a prolific production output in that three year period, producing 198,897 lenses in that batch!"

It is a great combo isn’t it?🙂

You are in Townsend? Truly a beautiful part of the world…

We hope to be able to enjoy the area this Fall. I haven’t thought about what gear I will bring with me, though. But I plan to be traveling light!

You have inspired me to work on that. The FTN… probably would be great for walking around Gatlinburg. 😇
I live 45 minutes away from Townsend in Oak Ridge.

I live 45 minutes away from Townsend in Oak Ridge.
🙂 a short commute to one of the most beautiful areas of the country.

I hope your physical challenges don’t hold you back from enjoying the outdoors.

Challenges are normal here, and we are still learning how to deal with wheelchairs and accessibility to those areas we have loved and visited for decades before.

Creative activities require creative solutions just to simply make them happen. Photo gear selections and outfitting are one of those challenges I enjoy. Small format, portable kits and proper outfitting to cover every imaginable contingency make a trip to the Smoky Mountains a real joy.

It starts with an FTN, or other film camera. And then I add whatever else I decide to use for anticipated photo fun.

I love anticipating a holiday in the mountains!

Wishing you well as the Fall Season approaches!🙂

Back