That Nikkormat FTn.

The 105mm and the 24mm were very good, but I developed an aversion to the pictures I've made with them …
Not liking the 24mm is understandable, because that focal length is used only by real estate photographers on the rare occasion they need a very long telephoto lens…

But the 105? To many people, including me, this lens is magic. I’m curious why you developed an aversion to it.

Ha! Finally found a little time to develop a 24 exposure roll of Eastman 5222 from the black Nikkormat FTN. Ilford DD-X was the chosen developer at 6 min @ 21°C.

But shooting the roll was a bit problematic as the meter decided to go wonky. After checking with Brian, after shooting that roll of film, I now have a work-around. 👍👍

The expired film loves light more than it did when it was new so the final results are a bit different but acceptable. Grain is a little more than I like, but not bad.

Garden Gnome:
Garden Gnome by Black FTN June 2023.jpeg

Magic Mushroom:
Magic Mushroom 2 WO Black FTN June 2023.jpeg

Another Magic Mushroom:
Magic Mushroom Black FTN June 2023.jpeg

Empty Film Can:
Double XX Film Can 2 FTN June 2023.jpeg

Late afternoon in the Leica Cave:
Desk Window by Black FTN June 2023.jpeg

Yet another Magic Mushroom:
Magic Mushroom 2 by Black FTN June 2023.jpeg

Dave

Not liking the 24mm is understandable, because that focal length is used only by real estate photographers on the rare occasion they need a very long telephoto lens…

But the 105? To many people, including me, this lens is magic. I’m curious why you developed an aversion to it.
No aversion to the lens, but to my pictures made with it. This has to do with the style of the pictures I wanted. From that moment I only used 35mm and 50mm lenses. In itself the 105mm f/2.5 is a great lens.

Erik.

Animated conversations on the street are always interesting and you captured this one perfectly.

I totally understand what you said about the difference with the striking sharpness of the Summicron. It’s been years since I had a Summicron to use, though.
😇

Animated conversations on the street are always interesting and you captured this one perfectly.

I totally understand what you said about the difference with the striking sharpness of the Summicron. It’s been years since I had a Summicron to use, though.
😇
Thanks, yes, but I do not mean to say that the Nikkor was a bad lens, not at all! Very well made and completely satisfying. But a Summicron rigid is in a class of its own.

The shot here is from 1979, btw.

Erik.

Hmmm… my black FTN has a spring “clip” missing on the rewind knob that somehow I never thought about checking. The rewind crank flips around as a result.

Apparently removing the rewind knob is easy enough but I need a replacement clip that goes under the rewind knob and keeps the crank in place.

Does anyone know of a source for a clip? Or have an old FTN available for parts?🤷🏼‍♂️

I thought about dropping it off at KEH since it is in our town but… the cost would be far more than the FTN is worth.🤔

A fun comparison… 😇

Expensive iPhone used to get this abstract image from the garden, heavily converted and enhanced in Photoshop:

IMG_4093.jpeg

Cropped image from $25 Black Nikkormat FTN, normal scan, minor crop:😇

Spring FTN (H Auto) by Chrome FTN May 2023.jpeg

I prefer the Nikkormat FTN image.👍 Interestingly, I have shot this same abstract with 6 different film cameras and lenses and of course there are differences with different film, developers, etc. but each one is much nicer than the iPhone image.

Interesting. Thanks for the comparison. Sometimes when I use the phone for some “snap” I find difficult to pay the same attention than I pay when I shoot with a real camera, ergonomic factors and the training of my brain have to do with it.
But the feel of analog is always present in your pictures 👍

Not too shabby…

Nikkormat FTN
TMax 100
Ilford DD-X
(On a Late Afternoon - Summer 2023)
Desk by FTN May 2023.jpeg

Leica M2
50 Summilux v. 1
Acros II 100
Ilford DD-X
(Different day 2023, Morning Sun, different composition)
Rolltop Desk by Leica M2 Acros II 100 DD-X March 2023.jpeg

Still learning both the FTN 50/2.0 and M2 50:1.4.😇

Perhaps I will try a yellow filter on the Nikon lens for contre jour images…🤷🏼‍♂️

I am certain I can improve a little more with each and every single day. For now, I am delighted with the baseline I am starting with, the images so far have much better character results for me than any digital image I can make. Just what I was looking for.🙂

I totally agree. I wonder why so many people got completely into digital photography. I agree that for "everyday users photography" digital is fine.

However, in digital photography the light rays are deflected by electricity like soldiers in an army. This results in lifeless images. For art, the living light, captured by silver particles in gelatin, remains infinitely more beautiful.

Erik.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I wonder why so many people got completely into digital photography. I agree that for "everyday users photography" digital is fine.

However, in digital photography the light rays are deflected by electricity like soldiers in an army. This results in lifeless images. For art, the living light, captured by silver particles in gelatin, remains infinitely more beautiful.

Erik.
Tha'ts rhetoric and sort of mystical perhaps painting a picture that isn't objective. but I like it.

I dn't have a FTn but I do have an FT3. It has really grown on me as a useful and pleasant camera even though I've acquired quite a few cameras that most would say are much "better".

It’s a holiday here… so Happy 4th of July!

I just loaded and started shooting another expired roll of Eastman 5222 Double X. 😃 only two more rolls left!

So I am celebrating my freedom of choice to use the black FTN for another round of film shooting fun just because I can!😊

Everyday is a reason to celebrate when I have a camera in hand.

The past few months I have been having a great time with the Leica M2! Wonderful experience using the 50 Summilux. 🙂

So…, how did the chrome FTN loaded with TMax 100 wind up in my hand again?!!!😮

Oh, yeah, now I remember:
1690210917067.jpeg

Even the old worn out 1.8 lens is a joy to use.🙂

But now I have the 50/2.0 H Auto lens mounted!

I have an F2S and am happy with it. Apart from the difference in weight are there any advantages to getting an FTn ?
I know it would be a relatively cheaper buy.

I have an F2S and am happy with it. Apart from the difference in weight are there any advantages to getting an FTn ?
I know it would be a relatively cheaper buy.
Having both Nikkormats and quite a few F2's (including the F2S), there is nothing functional the FTn will do that an F2 can't.

F2 advantages:

F2 has easier to select ASA setting method
F2 has easier to select shutter speed
-(unless you love shutter ring on the lens mount)
F2 has a variable length self-timer
F2 has long speeds 1sec to 10sec
F2 should be more rugged
F2 can take a motor drive
F2 can swap finders
- (e.g. plain, waist-level, magnifier, etc.)
F2 can take different viewfinder screens
F2 can show aperture as well as shutter speed in the finder

Same:
DOF preview, mirror lock-up

Nikkormat FTn advantages:
Less expensive
- (an actual bargain for all that it offers)
Meter readout also on top plate
Elegant frame counter
Shutter speed on ring near mount
- (use just one hand for focus, aperture, and shutter speed; unless you like a top mounted dial :) )
Feels less bulky because it is less bulky
Fun

It's hard ro explain, but the Nikkormats feel just so competent. Even though it's matched by the F2, there's just something seemingly inexplicable that makes a Nikkormat fun to take with you and make photos.

Lastly, using a Nikkormat makes you one of the cognoscenti and not just another Nikon fan boy :)

Back