Sigma FP Shooters - What do you think ?

I bought this camera a few months ago. I love it. You may find this hard to believe but i bought it for stills, not video.
The IQ is great. I use it mainly with the Panasonic S 24-105mm lens. This lens is light weight and has image stabilization. The two together make for a very versatile, light weight combo.

How's the AF speed? Do you still love it?

The obstacle isn't the fp - it's the mentality of the user.

No, the obstacle is comparing a new camera (Fp) to ones you are already used to. If I am used to fast autofocus, why would I want to unlearn that and go back to slow autofocus that hunts (as many videos on the internet show the Fp doing)? I want to like this camera...but you can't unlearn simply because the Fp isn't up to par. You can choose to deal with it or not to deal with it. That doesn't make one person better than the other.

This sounds so similar to the arguments I hear on the Pixii thread.

Just like with the Pixii, I have an interest in the Sigma fp. Not because I expect it to be the same or a "competitor" to my Leica CL or my Hasselblad 907x, but because it is different from other cameras with its video capabilities, full frame format, and Sigma's rather unique notion of it as more a mini-technical-camera capable of still and high-end video capture to be layered onto with equipment to facilitate the shooting rather than a perfect, all in a piece traditional camera. It's utterly different from the CL or Hassy in those aspects, and utterly different from the Pixii too.

And just the way I use the Hassy and CL in ways that are perhaps a little off the far side of the norm some of the time (and right down the median the rest), I'd be interested to see what sort of things the Sigma fp would inspire me to do because of its differences to the "normal" that I'm so used to.

Lessee: Sigma fp - $1800, Pixii - $3300 ... Happily, I have enough lenses to go around (none of them autofocus) for both of them AND the CL AND the 907x. :D

But that's a wad of money I need to cough up to get to play with them. sigh.

G

Well hello.

I'm a little late with an update. That's primarily because of lockdown and working from home and, well, life in general.

Okay, so I'm running the FP on v 2.0 firmware, which in the main is focused on the Cine side of things, with the exception of perhaps cinemagraphs and improved AF.

So, how have I found it? Got to admit, the absence of an integrated viewfinder is perhaps the most glaring omission (but I think this will be addressed if/when the Mk 2 is released). I don't have the LCD viewfinder and I won't be getting it, no matter how much its helps, which sounds a little petulant, but I'm a stills shooter in the main and I think I'd feel a little self conscious.

So, at the moment I'm left to composing via the LCD. Which I never had a problem with on the GR, yet on the FP, seems a little weird. The LCD is reasonably bright, but I have maxed-out the brightness of the display to combat the current bright light we are having. In really intense light, it is a struggle - although thankfully, living in the northwest of England, that won't be an issue very much.

I have always used single point AF and focused / recomposed in most cases, so I can't advise on how well multi point does or tracking. Considering the FP is contrast detect only, it fares no worse than other cameras I've used with the same system. It's quite snappy. I've learned not to use the smallest focus area for critical focus, as the medium size appears to have greater chance of locking focus on areas of different contrast. The smallest focus area should be reserved for less time critical work.

Under normal circumstances, I have always been a people shooter. I'm happy to report that the face/ eye detect does the job just fine - and another reason not to attempt to use the smallest autofocus area for critical focus - let the tech work its voodoo (I realise this is hypocritical as I don't use multi point lol). I haven't tried Pre AF yet. Probably won't bother, either.

The FP seems to overexpose a little, whereas I like to perhaps underexpose, so it's normally a case of tweaking the EV comp by around 0.3. But it is a little inconsistent (or my eye is?).

The RAW files are nice. They don't require much work on the whole. They remind me very much of RAWs from the Sony RX1.

The 45 2.8 is also a really nice, capable lens, if a little too long (focal length wise) for me. Close focus is something silly like 20cm, so you can get fairly intimate with subjects and, whilst f/2.8 isn't considered to be overly bright/fast, the bokeh is fairly pronounced wide open, so would definitely lend itself well to portraits. It's a nicely built lens too - hope Sigma do more like this (preferably between 28mm-35mm, where I'm happiest).

There are many superfluous options that seem a little like overkill to an amateur like me. I use digital cameras very much like I do film cameras. I do kinda think that if Sigma put a little more effort into their baked in presets though (as I know that film simulations and the like are currently in vogue) then they may broaden their appeal a little more.

My intention with the FP was for it to be there to support my Foveon bodies when their operational limitations were exceeded. I'm a big fan of Sigma, but not so much that I can't see issues.

You're probably expecting example images? I'm afraid I'm a little bit shy with these things, until such time I feel I have been able to photograph something that suits my style of shooting. So, no coffee or cat shots from me, I'm afraid.

Lockdown is, rightly or wrongly, easing in the UK now, so I'm confident I'll perhaps have something to share soon. However, I'll leave the floor open for questions, if anyone has any...

Thank you for that information Black. Is the AF with the 45mm 2.8 at least similar to the Merrill DP series? I`m not looking for a speedy camera, but I don`t want a lemon either. Since I haven`t been able to check it out myself due to the current situation, I know I`m being a little more annoying about AF speed than usual. I just really like the camera and lens idea and I also like Sigma (I`ve used the DP2 & Dp3 Merrill and DP2 Quattro). However, some early reports made the AF sound a lot worse than these models. I guess I`m saying this so people understand where I`m coming from. If I`m looking at Sigma...it is obvious I`m not a specs chaser.

I don't have one yet, but am close to getting it. I am a old Leica M glass shooter so NO af I like the idea of being able to play in video. Also no AA filter I am using a A7s right now for stills and I just want a second body lenses are not a problem I have way too many right now. Different stuff for different people it's what makes the world go round.

Thank you for that information Black. Is the AF with the 45mm 2.8 at least similar to the Merrill DP series? I`m not looking for a speedy camera, but I don`t want a lemon either. Since I haven`t been able to check it out myself due to the current situation, I know I`m being a little more annoying about AF speed than usual. I just really like the camera and lens idea and I also like Sigma (I`ve used the DP2 & Dp3 Merrill and DP2 Quattro). However, some early reports made the AF sound a lot worse than these models. I guess I`m saying this so people understand where I`m coming from. If I`m looking at Sigma...it is obvious I`m not a specs chaser.

It's faster John, by a fairly long way, (I should mention that I've had a couple of Merrills and sd Quattros now) with only the caveats I have mentioned. But by comparison to an X100F (or V?) or an Oly PEN - not quite as fast. But respectable, unless you shoot wildlife or sports in the main, but then I guess you wouldn't be using single point AF.
And yes, like me, it seems you're very reasonable as to what to expect from a camera made by Sigma. But it does legitimately seem that with every new model they make, they definitely get better - honing their craft, as it were.
Sigma are a small fish in a big pond. I imagine their team (or person) who sorts out the algorithm for AF is tiny vs Sony et al. But I think there's a pride / passion there, that pushes them to do better. And done better they have.

Really, the only thing that bugs me about the fp, is the lack of EVF or even OVF solution with some major parallax correction. I thought about mounting the OVF from the DP2 but I imagine the parallax would be fairly insane. I'd probably feel better using it, though lol

Other than that, I like it. I'm holding out for the mythical full frame Foveon. If that were to ever become a reality (perhaps Sigma's last Foveon dance?), then that is probably the only camera I'd consider trading it in for at the moment.

It's faster John, by a fairly long way, (I should mention that I've had a couple of Merrills and sd Quattros now) with only the caveats I have mentioned. But by comparison to an X100F (or V?) or an Oly PEN - not quite as fast. But respectable, unless you shoot wildlife or sports in the main, but then I guess you wouldn't be using single point AF.

Great, thank you.

Really, the only thing that bugs me about the fp, is the lack of EVF or even OVF solution with some major parallax correction. I thought about mounting the OVF from the DP2 but I imagine the parallax would be fairly insane. I'd probably feel better using it, though lol

That's a main concern about the FP for me too. Recently though I noticed that there are a lot of third party videography cages made for the FP that would in theory allow for a screw in cold shoe directly above the lens without adding a huge amount to the size. For me it could make the FP really attractive as a hyperfocal wide angle compact for when I'm not doing video.

That's a main concern about the FP for me too. Recently though I noticed that there are a lot of third party videography cages made for the FP that would in theory allow for a screw in cold shoe directly above the lens without adding a huge amount to the size. For me it could make the FP really attractive as a hyperfocal wide angle compact for when I'm not doing video.

Yep, I've considered this - specifically the Smallrig cage and said DP2 OVF. The cold shoe isn't exactly aligned with the lens, however, it's a lot nearer than with the official Sigma modular hot shoe.

The only thing that puts me off is then that makes the fp far more bulky. But the universe is all about balance, ultimately and usually, when you gain in one area, you have to make sacrifices in another.

I'll probably end up coping with the LCD though.

If it had a hot shoe on top for viewfinder..I would have already bought it..
An amazing oversight on their part..
I suppose you could superglue something up there..
Or..drill baby..drill...

If it had a hot shoe on top for viewfinder..I would have already bought it..
An amazing oversight on their part..
I suppose you could superglue something up there..
Or..drill baby..drill...

This is exactly how I feel. I wish they would come up with some kind of attachable EVF. Maybe V2.

I haven't done much research on the fp so far. Is there a tethering solution for it available that would allow full control (with native lenses) and partial control (with adapted lenses)?

Thx!
G

In so far as I'm aware, currently, no.

Sigma Capture Pro has not yet been updated to accommodate the fp and I've not heard anything yet so say that it will be. I'm unsure of third party options.

Thanks.

I did some poking around after I posted: It seems there are a couple of available solutions from third party sources that might suit my interests, but more research is needed.

I look at the Sigma fp in ways similar to how I look at the Hasselblad 907x: as a capture box upon which I can layer the lenses I have and other things to facilitate various kinds of photographic endeavors. The Hasselblad is superb at still work, I haven't explored its video capabilities yet. The Sigma seems to have a huge strength in video work, and 35mm sized FF would seem to be enough for video work ... And I certainly have enough Leica R and M lenses to cover lens needs.

I'd like an fp to experiment with and see if I want to go more deeply into motion work. But I'm in no hurry to buy another camera at the moment. There are always more interesting new cameras than I have either time or money for...! :)

G

I'm always very skeptical about buyin a new digital cam..
Because there is so much to go wrong unless you really know what you are looking at..
But since most of my work these days is video..this really floats my boat..
If the M10 had video..I would have got that a long time ago..

But still..I'm very cautious about purchasing something like this..
But I luv oddball cams..
I just got a 6x12 Linhof..and its really the right thing for me now in film..
But..

Right now the fp is on sale at B&H..and the 45mm kit lens looks to have great possibilities..
Thinkin..

Ok I have been using a Sigma fp for about a year now, mostly just doing stills with it. I am using older Leica M lenses plus I have been adding some of those newer Chinese lenses that I find interesting from 7 Artisans and TT Artisans. I have NO autofocus lenses, so no comments about that, I can still manual focus for the time being.

I tried to use the fp without buying a finder of any type for a month, no go at that time all they had was the LVF-11 yes it's big kills the idea of a small compact camera but it works great. My other two digital cameras I use are a Sony A7s and a Sony RX-1. I am cheap no other way to say it, all three of the camera bodies I own I picked up used. I have had the RX-1 now for about 7 years and the A7s is only 5 years old to me. After using the Sigma when I pick up the A7s I feel like I am trying to look through a keyhole after using the Sigma loupe. I really like the jpg's I get out of the fp, if I do everything properly I am happy with just using the jpg's. I am going to post a few pic's enjoy any and all comments good or bad are welcome.

_SDI0910 copy.jpg

Attachments

• _SDI0910 copy.jpg
    _SDI0910 copy.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 7
  • _SDI1481 copy.jpg
    _SDI1481 copy.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 7
  • _SDI1484 copy.jpg
    _SDI1484 copy.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 6
  • _SDI1242.jpg
    _SDI1242.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 7
  • _SDI1148.jpg
    _SDI1148.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 8
  • _SDI1138.jpg
    _SDI1138.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 8
  • _SDI0965.jpg
    _SDI0965.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 8
  • _SDI0780.jpg
    _SDI0780.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 7
  • _SDI0439.jpg
    _SDI0439.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 8
I posted into the wrong thread. See here Sony A7R+Canon 0.95, post 72.
Click image for larger version  Name:	FP00719-schmiede-kl.jpg Views:	0 Size:	223.4 KB ID:	4800559
The tilt LCD of my Sony I miss, otherwise the Sigma fp is ok.
I use older rangefinder lenses, so no experience with AF. Seldom I use the Hoodman loupe; nice, but too big.
After one year the batterie seems to suck, yesterday.

No, the obstacle is comparing a new camera (Fp) to ones you are already used to. If I am used to fast autofocus, why would I want to unlearn that and go back to slow autofocus that hunts (as many videos on the internet show the Fp doing)?

Sure, but you said it 'was a dud for stills', blanket statement, rather than it wasn't a good choice for YOUR needs. The autofocus is rubbish, but many stills photographers don't use auto-focus (or have to).

Back